web statisticsweb stats Business Phone Systems Tech Talk Forum - VOIP & Cloud Phone Help

Business Phone Systems

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#214263 10/30/08 11:31 AM
Ted Offline OP
OP Offline
Hi everyone
Today I went out on an STS that was down. It's 5 yrs. old and configured as a 12X24 with a flash vm and modem. When I got there the KSU was chattering up a storm. I removed the cover and saw that all the cards were resetting at a very rapid rate save for the vm card. I shut down the system, let it set for a minute, tried it again, same thing. I moved the power cord off of the battery back-up to another outlet; same thing. I pulled out the cards one by one, leaving the vm card in only because it's light were normal. I left the caller id card in. With basic ksu and modem connected I had no chatter but when I would shut the system off the KSU would click about three times. I took the modem card out and the system came up ok and shut down ok. I left the modem card out and added the two co and sta. cards; chatter. I took out all the cards except for the vm card and started adding them one at a time, shutting off the system each time to check conditions. After adding the last card the system acted just perfect. I know I didn't solve the problem, but at this point I have no idea what the problem can be. I know this is a long post, but if anyone has any ideas, I'd sure like to hear them.
Thanks in advance, ted

Atcom VoIP Phones
VoIP Demo

Best VoIP Phones Canada

Visit Atcom to get started with your new business VoIP phone system ASAP
Turn up is quick, painless, and can often be done same day.
Let us show you how to do VoIP right, resulting in crystal clear call quality and easy-to-use features that make everyone happy!
Proudly serving Canada from coast to coast.

#214264 11/01/08 02:02 AM
Yesterday I had a two year old one that nothing worked on. Tried a bunch of stuff, but ended up defaulting the system. I'm hoping it was just a corrupt data base, time will tell.

A sage ol' Vodavi dealer told me when the memory battery starts to go bad the will do weird things. Also that there was a time period it seemed there were some bad batteries.

Retired phone dude
#214265 11/02/08 09:10 AM
Bill & Ted,
I would almost guarantee that the battery is the issue. We have had several of these same issues and when we sent them back for repair it was either a battery issue or we would get it back and it would work for a couple of days and boom it would do the same thing and they would end up replacing something else which i can't think of at the moment.

#214266 11/02/08 10:08 AM
Is there anyway to test the battery? Like maybe turning it off and seeing how long it holds a charge? Or would that not really prove anything? It would be nice if there were a way to see if the battery is bad or not.

Retired phone dude
#214267 11/02/08 10:35 AM
Retired Moderator
Retired Moderator
All you have to do is turn the system off and put a volt meter on the battery. If you don't get 3.5 volts it is no good.

www.myrandomviews
"Old phone guys never die, they just get locked in some closet with an old phone system and forgotten about"

Retired, taking photographs and hoping to fly one of my many kites.
#214268 11/02/08 10:50 AM
That's easy enough. I was thinking more of a flacky versus totally bad thing.

So when you've seen this problem they are just totally bad? Also couldn't you do the same thing just by turning the batt off so no charge was going to it? That way you could at least keep the customer up when testing it.

Retired phone dude
#214269 11/03/08 02:14 AM
Retired Moderator
Retired Moderator
Too risky, if your volt meter probes touch something they shouldn't you could damage the system. And yes, usually when this happens the battery is dead.

www.myrandomviews
"Old phone guys never die, they just get locked in some closet with an old phone system and forgotten about"

Retired, taking photographs and hoping to fly one of my many kites.
#214270 11/03/08 02:32 AM
Thanks for the input Derrick.

Retired phone dude
#214271 11/03/08 11:01 AM
Ted Offline OP
OP Offline
Hi Everyone, I just got back to my computer. The next day the same thing happened. I took out all the cards; problem went away. I started adding cards and when I got to the 2nd CO card, the chatter came back. I had picked up a new KSU, so I slapped it in and the problem went away. No call backs yet so I assume it was the KSU. Oobie and Derrick, I'm not clear on the battery thing. I brought the KSU back to my office. I let it set over the weekend and, yes, it did lose all of it's programming. I had personally thought that I had a bad power supply. If the system is kicking out power from a electrical outlet and the battery is only for backup memory, why the heck would it be chattering like it wasn't gettting enough juice? I'm going to install a new battery for fun. Unfortunately I don't have enough cards or traffic to duplicate the problem and I'm sure not going to put the customer through another week like last week.
Thanks again for any ideas.

#214272 11/03/08 01:08 PM
Moderator-Vertical, Vodavi, 1A2, Outside Wire
Moderator-Vertical, Vodavi, 1A2, Outside Wire
In my past experience with the predecessor of the STS, the infinite Mach 1 or the Triad-S, they also had mystery problems that were directly attributed to the memory battery. These systems would not even start up without the memory battery switch being turned on, or if it had failed. There's no doubt that the system monitors the voltage output of this battery in order to operate.

I think that it is safe to assume that Vodavi had a bad lot of batteries in the manufacture of these systems. Keep in mind that a bad lot on their assembly lines can result in thousands of systems out there that are demonstrating these problems. I'd guess that just one day's production could amount to over a thousand units. LG is a big company and this product is likely marketed worldwide under many product brand names.

In a way, I suppose that this is a good thing since you get a warning before the system loses the database upon the next power outage. I just wish that they would make this process a little bit more graceful.

Ed Vaughn, MBSWWYPBX
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  EV607797, JWRacedog, MnDave, nfcphoneman 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Statistics
Forums84
Topics94,262
Posts638,693
Members49,757
Most Online5,661
May 23rd, 2018
Popular Topics(Views)
211,098 Shoretel
187,703 CTX100 install
186,793 1a2 system
Newest Members
BPopilek, Rich F, LewisR, TDKs79, Buttinset
49,757 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
dexman 18
Toner 14
TDKs79 8
Who's Online Now
2 members (Curlycord, dexman), 71 guests, and 252 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Contact Us | Sponsored by Atcom: One of the best VoIP Phone Canada Suppliers for your business telephone system!| Terms of Service

Sundance Communications is not affiliated with any of the above manufacturers. Sundance Phone System Forums - VOIP & Cloud Phone Help
©Copyright Sundance Communications 1998-2024