web statisticsweb stats Business Phone Systems Tech Talk Forum - VOIP & Cloud Phone Help

Business Phone Systems

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#217306 02/03/10 11:32 AM
jockbir Offline OP
OP Offline
We purchased the Vodavi XTS in 2001. We had copper lines and it worked great for us. Everybody had their own voice line. But to save $$$ we moved to a PRI but we are finding it difficult to move over.
1) Told we could fax through PRI but unable to. Start dialing and connection drops. Have Cox Communications PRI and they state it is a Straight PRI with no soft switches and not VOIP. How do we do it???
2) We have cordless phones that worked great before with Verizon. If we wanted caller id or notification of voicemail they worked great but now with Vodavi Voice Mail (I think pathrfinder) and PRI no caller id or voice mail notification. Is this doable??? We were told yes in meetings by company purchased system from but now they say no. These people do not want to go to digital sets and right now we do not have $$$ for even refurbished sets.
3) Right now I think we have Caller ID for name and number turned on but only number coming through. Called in to Cox why.
4) When had own phone lines and line appearances was great for bosses and secretaries. They would put call on hold and intercom boss that person on line 1 and boss pick up line one but now can not. Told to have them transfer call to boss' line. Any other way??
Sorry I am new at this and I have tried programming this the best I could but really am not sure what XTS can do with PRI and what can't or what we could do with PRI anyways.
Any help would be appreciated

Atcom VoIP Phones
VoIP Demo

Best VoIP Phones Canada

Visit Atcom to get started with your new business VoIP phone system ASAP
Turn up is quick, painless, and can often be done same day.
Let us show you how to do VoIP right, resulting in crystal clear call quality and easy-to-use features that make everyone happy!
Proudly serving Canada from coast to coast.

#217307 02/03/10 12:57 PM
Retired Moderator
Retired Moderator
Pri and regular lines don't have much in common other than a Line number appears on the screen when a call rings in or you make an outbound call. Pri is much better than regular lines believe me. BUT you have to know how to program DID route tables, and ringing assignments. Not the same thing as CO line ringing. Caller ID both name and number works over PRI. I don't know of any carriers that don't provide that. You do have to request that they turn it up either as DNIS or ANI with Caller ID deluxe. For standard cordless phones to show caller id you need an slt card with that function.You also have to program the phone to have the correct id type.

If the caller name worked before on the XTS it still will, but as stated above it needs to be turned on from the telco and PRI display name as well as some other options has to be set correctly.

Putting calls on hold can still be done by line appearance, but that is a bit unrealistic considering the PRI has twenty three lines. You should use Park Keys. With Call Park you can do the same thing...park it call someone, tell them which park it is on, they hit pound and the key to pick it up. That simple.

You mentioned digital sets? What phones are you using now?

www.myrandomviews
"Old phone guys never die, they just get locked in some closet with an old phone system and forgotten about"

Retired, taking photographs and hoping to fly one of my many kites.
#217308 02/03/10 01:07 PM
Moderator-Vodavi, Vertical, XBlue
The XTS with PRI is an awsome combination but when you change to PRI you must use the Hybrid PBX capability. You can't use a square key system design unless you fill up all your flex buttons with 23 channels of voice. If you really want to simulate the old square key system method you can program some call park buttons onto all the phones. Pressing the park button will put your call on "Hold". Just press [#] before pressing the lit park button again to retrieve the call. The park button will be lit steady on all phones until the recipient answers the call. When answered, it leaves "park" and the button is immediately ready to be used again. You should only need a couple of park buttons to satisfy your needs.

Caller ID: It is actually ANI/DNIS that is delivered over a PRI but that is a technicality. If you have a digital dispatch or digital pathfinder the caller info will be stored with your messages. To get "CID" on an analog station you need the more expensive SLT w/CID.

Faxing should be no problem as long provided that your PRI is not a dynamic circuit.

- Dave S. -

You can never appease your ideologue opponents.

#217309 02/03/10 01:11 PM
Derrick, you beat me to the punch while I was typing and you have solid information too. You always do a good job and it makes me wonder why I even bother trying to put in my 2 cents worth at times.

- Dave S. -

#217310 02/03/10 02:16 PM
Retired Moderator
Retired Moderator
From the mouth of two it must be true.

Wen faxing make sure the fax is dialing a nine and a pause before the number or the fax will drop. You can program the fax extension to not need a nine by directly selecting a line when it goes of hook. It is a bit tricky to do, but it works great.

www.myrandomviews
"Old phone guys never die, they just get locked in some closet with an old phone system and forgotten about"

Retired, taking photographs and hoping to fly one of my many kites.
#217311 02/04/10 04:41 AM
jockbir Offline OP
OP Offline
Thanks for the info.
I really appreciate it.
Regarding the faxing, the Vodavi rep could not get it to work using the PRI. If we dialed the number using a vodavi SLT it sounded like the fax picked up aok but when we put a fax on it would dial, and then disconnect and never go anywhere.

Any help regarding cordless phones and voice mail notification. We are using a pathfinder with our cordless and Starplus Triad 8 button, 24 button and some slt phones but most slts are cordless from many makes and models.

Also regarding the callder id with these makes and models, how can it be set up they are all supposedly set up to receive residential caller id and when we had verizon copper lines with caller id added they worked. now no.

#217312 02/04/10 04:45 AM
jockbir Offline OP
OP Offline
By the way we added a pause after dialing on faxes and not work.
In addition we have very old timeclocks at remote locations and they are on Cox centrex lines. When we try to connect using our pc modem dialing out the pri with 9, there is no connection I receive the error autodialer error. I tried setting the modem to a lower dial speed which we never needed to do before but not work. Any help would be appreciated. I just do not want to go back to copper lines if this can work.

#217313 02/04/10 04:57 AM
jockbir Offline OP
OP Offline
I guess when you say a Hybrid PBX Capability it is not the XTS that we need but possibly the DHS or STS or XTS-IP??

#217314 02/04/10 05:09 AM
Try programming your SLTs for off hook preference to a pool group and/or program your devices to not wait for dial tone. Your modems are not recognizing the internal intercom as valid dial tone and/or your provider may not be providing any tone. If it still fails to dial, you will have to implement LCR. The XTS delivers 440 Hz tone with LCR.

- Dave S. -

#217315 02/04/10 05:18 AM
When you changed from 1FBs to PRI, you gave up the former square key system feature. You are going in the wrong direction if you think another system will restore that to you. As I stated, you cannot have direct line appearances on your phones unless you assign all 23 digital voice channels as direct appearing lines and fill up of your flex buttons. If you have a fractional with perhaps 8 channels or so, you could try it but that is not a recommended method.

- Dave S. -

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  EV607797, JWRacedog, MnDave, nfcphoneman 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Statistics
Forums84
Topics94,262
Posts638,693
Members49,757
Most Online5,661
May 23rd, 2018
Popular Topics(Views)
211,097 Shoretel
187,702 CTX100 install
186,792 1a2 system
Newest Members
BPopilek, Rich F, LewisR, TDKs79, Buttinset
49,757 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
dexman 18
Toner 14
TDKs79 8
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 102 guests, and 243 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Contact Us | Sponsored by Atcom: One of the best VoIP Phone Canada Suppliers for your business telephone system!| Terms of Service

Sundance Communications is not affiliated with any of the above manufacturers. Sundance Phone System Forums - VOIP & Cloud Phone Help
©Copyright Sundance Communications 1998-2024