Business Phone Systems

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
#217444 02/22/10 12:51 AM
mrgreen Offline OP
OP Offline
I have a strange problem that has just started occurring. I have a Vodavi Starplus 1428 (FP 3 if I remember correctly)with a Starplus DHS SP-7000-00 behind in another location. Ithe past 4 to 6 weeks lines 1,2 and 4 on the DHS will start "ringing" in the middle of the night and no one will be there. Only line 4 should be ringing as it is an emergency line. This is not happening during the day. From the information I have gathered from the users lines 1, 2 and 4 all flash on the DHS. I have gone through the programming to make sure lines 1 and 2 DO NOT ring at night, which they do not. I have replaced the analog card in the 1428, which did not help. The 1428 also has a Talkpath Vmail system attached to it. They only thing I can think of is someone has set up a "reminder" or call back but I can not find any think about this features. I sure a call back would not just happend in the middle of the night. Any thoughts or suggestions in what minght be causing this probelm?
The OPX/OPS, from my usderstanding, do run through the local C.O.

Atcom VoIP Phones
VoIP Demo

Best VoIP Phones Canada

Visit Atcom to get started with your new business VoIP phone system ASAP
Turn up is quick, painless, and can often be done same day.
Let us show you how to do VoIP right, resulting in crystal clear call quality and easy-to-use features that make everyone happy!
Proudly serving Canada from coast to coast.

#217445 02/22/10 04:20 AM
Moderator-Vodavi, Vertical, XBlue
Here are a couple of items to consider:

Are these lines CO lines? If so, do they ring simultaneously or individually? If lines are from a channel bank, a provider failure can make all lines ring simultaneously.

Are the DHS lines from analog station ports on the 1428? If this is a "callback" due to a notification setting, the common indicator is a voice mail loop whereby the mailbox fills up with "you have a message". If it is a "callback" to the station number of the analog port going to the DHS, then you would have to use the Admin program and check ALL mailboxes. This is one good reason to delete any unused mailboxes rather than leaving all the default ones in there.

- Dave S. -

You can never appease your ideologue opponents.

#217446 02/22/10 05:46 AM
Retired Moderator
Retired Moderator
I don't think a vm notification would happen only at night plus if the DHS lines are programmed not to ring, then a notify call wouldn't be the source of the problem, not audibly anyway, the lines would still flash of course. If an AA is in use, someone may be bopping around inside the system.

www.myrandomviews
"Old phone guys never die, they just get locked in some closet with an old phone system and forgotten about"

Retired, taking photographs and hoping to fly one of my many kites.
#217447 02/22/10 06:40 AM
If an auto dialer is causing this, it will be difficult to trap. I once had a legal firm from England trying to fax to Australia with our area code as the country code. Our number(s) got multiple fax calls in the middle of the night. We ran the business out of our home at the time. It was lots of fun.

- Dave S. -

#217448 03/03/10 11:44 AM
mrgreen Offline OP
OP Offline
Thanks for the suggestions. Just to make sure this was not an auto attendant problem (some one trying to fax the office) I disconnected the line cord from the vmail system. Still had the OPX/OPS lines ring the DHS system. These are extension numbers from the SPD 1428 that go to a DHS system and are programmed as PBX lines on the DHS system. They all flash simultaneousily. Only the last line/extension is programmed to ring on the DHS system. I am to the point where I am going to default the SPD 1428 system and start over in hopes some how a reminded was programmed in the system and this will remove. The only other thing I can think of is to remove the first two extension going to the DHS system and see if they stop flashing. Can not remove the last line as it is for emergencies. Any other thoughts?

#217449 03/03/10 01:49 PM
Try this: When the DHS is answered at night. Ask the person answering the "no one there" call to press the [*] and [#] key. If it is the voice mail, you will get a voice mail prompt

If I were on site, I would connect a laptop to the RS323 port on the 1428 and enable SMDR. Then I could determine if an outside call was being transferred to the DHS over the 1428 analog ports. If the calls originate from within the 1428, then a maintenance trace would be required.

- Dave S. -

#217450 03/07/10 06:29 AM
mrgreen Offline OP
OP Offline
I think I may have found the problem. Their sytem is programmed to go into nights between 1700 and 0800. They system time was way off (2/14/89). They are telling me that they lose the system time two or three times a week. But they do not lose the database. I am missing something (such as a switch setting) and this is why they are losing their system time?

Mike

#217451 03/07/10 10:36 AM
Does the KSU default or the Voice Mail? Older Dispatch/Talkpaths require 8 AA batteries to maintain the time & date. Without good batteries, it defaults to 1/1/89 or so any time it looses power. The 1428 KSU has a super capacitor to keep its time & date but perhaps it could be bad too. The DHS KSU has a 3.6 battery. You need to replace all the batteries.

- Dave S. -

#217452 03/08/10 01:14 PM
mrgreen Offline OP
OP Offline
This is 2856. I misspoke when I said it was a 1428. The vmail (Talkpath)appears to be a new model as there was no where to install any batteries. I questioned that when it was first installed as per the manual it need the batteries. I have notice the last couple of times when I connected my PC up to it there was a header that said "cold reboot completed". I know I should have written it down and will next time. Just thought about on the way home tonight. I noticed that the time had reset again. I have connect my PC to the port on the CPB board and started SMDR to capture any incoming or outgoing calls as you suggested. IF I change the OPX/OPS lines to a different extension number (say from 120 to 150) would that do away with any weird programing (call back, etc.) on the extension? Maybe be my next step before defaulting the system.

#217453 03/08/10 03:54 PM
Retired Moderator
Retired Moderator
There is a flat battery located inside the unit under a daughterboard. If it isn't holding the date and time, the battery may be bad or it could be a bios problem that was caused by a software glitch in some models...serial number started with DOY. They required a software update.

www.myrandomviews
"Old phone guys never die, they just get locked in some closet with an old phone system and forgotten about"

Retired, taking photographs and hoping to fly one of my many kites.

Moderated by  EV607797, JWRacedog, MnDave, nfcphoneman 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Statistics
Forums84
Topics94,294
Posts638,834
Members49,769
Most Online5,661
May 23rd, 2018
Popular Topics(Views)
212,625 Shoretel
189,515 CTX100 install
187,772 1a2 system
Newest Members
Soulece, Robbks, A2A Networks, James D., Nadisale
49,768 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
Toner 24
teleco 9
dans 5
dexman 4
Who's Online Now
1 members (justbill), 166 guests, and 327 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Contact Us | Sponsored by Atcom: One of the best VoIP Phone Canada Suppliers for your business telephone system!| Terms of Service

Sundance Communications is not affiliated with any of the above manufacturers. Sundance Phone System Forums - VOIP & Cloud Phone Help
©Copyright Sundance Communications 1998-2024