web statisticsweb stats Business Phone Systems Tech Talk Forum - VOIP & Cloud Phone Help

Business Phone Systems

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
OP Offline
Hello all and thanks for this site.
We have an STS w/Flash InSkin VM which was installed years ago in a church. Within year one the voicemail began giving us trouble and Vodavi replaced the card. Shortly thereafter the new InSkin began giving us trouble. Customer experiences numerous appearances of the same messages in random mailboxes, Database program changes , (ie: A/A, Numbering Plan, etc...), No Message indication for New Messages. Just a lot of "junk". We updated the Software to 20052 years ago and Prompts are at 10000. Initializing and reprogramming works each time for a few months, then wham!, same problems creep up. Last initialize was 12/21/2009. We go back and forth with Vodavi/Vertical , but they seem satisfied with how we currently deal with this site.
Very frustrating and costly, any ideas?
Thanks in advance, Mike.

Atcom VoIP Phones
VoIP Demo

Best VoIP Phones Canada

Visit Atcom to get started with your new business VoIP phone system ASAP
Turn up is quick, painless, and can often be done same day.
Let us show you how to do VoIP right, resulting in crystal clear call quality and easy-to-use features that make everyone happy!
Proudly serving Canada from coast to coast.

Is the phone system on a electrical outlet by itself? No half taps.
This is a must.
Check breaker in the box both ends for good continuity of wires.
Remember no other devices hooked to this line.
Physically trace the circuit out. No guessing.

-TJ-
OP Offline
Yes. The system was actually moved to a Tel/Data closet from it's original location due to construction. Same VM problems existed at both locations. System is on dedicated electrical outlet and on UPS all by itself. Electrical Outlet fed in conduit back to new panel in same closet.

Have you tested the Battery in the KSU itself?
Re-initialize the KSU, not just the VM?
upgrade the VM to 20053?

Please check bonding at the KSU.
Only 1 source of grounding at the unit, and remove the UPS, you don't need it. (imo) never use UPS.

When you moved the KSU from one location to the other i bet you moved the UPS with it.

I said only (1) device to the unit of the circuit.
That being the KSU.

You can put a good surge protection on the KSU but
try it without the add potential problem. (ups/bbu)

-TJ-
OP Offline
Hey guys, thanks for the reply. Unfortunately the problem started happening in about 1 year of the initial install. I guess the Battery could be bad, but why isn't any Telephone data lost?
The KSU was installed without UPS, just Surge Prot. initially, and we added the UPS last year to address this specific problem. If anything, I believe their outtage yesterday was the worse in terms of lost/corrupt data and messages. The VM system always stays online, but with the corrupt data there is no way of knowing what works and what doesn't.
The system is not bonded with a dedicated ground, because some of our worst lightning related system failures have been on bonded systems. But I will try this at this site.
Previous posts state 20052 is stable, do you disagree. Also, previous posts state "don't mess with COS", which we have unfortunately done here and I will put COS back to default and reinitialize.
Thanks again and any other thoughts or experiences would be greatly appreciated, Mike.

You are making it hard to understand what is going on here.Now you are talking about class of service
you changed in inskin.Dont know why you changed it
but dont play with COS in inskin period.
Cant believe everything you read in manual.
Place COS in default.You may of caused your own headaches

-TJ-
OP Offline
Sorry STSe, did not mean to be confusing. We made a change to COS 4 to fill the Pastor's needs. He can get very long, very private messages from parishioners and the "don't touch COS" is something I only just found on this forum-Never from a Vodavi tech support call even though Vodavi has been courteous to work with. COS change was made recently and this problem has been going on for years, but that said I still am going to default the COS's and they will have to use it as is. Are there any other NO-NO's with this system that you have run into?
Thank, Mike.

The biggy with the sts/stse useing the inskin voicemail has always been initializing the unit using the laptop in Hyper Terminal is the first step after installing the voicemail card.

Remember pay me now pay me latter. It is your call smile

-TJ-
Moderator-Vodavi, Vertical, XBlue
Moderator-Vodavi, Vertical, XBlue
Odd that Vertical didn't comment on COS. Vodavi support was always very clear on leaving COS settings at default. That was disappointing, but with a budget Flash VM, what we get is what we get. Once you default it and reinitialize, your problem may go away. Yes, clean power and grounding is also important but I have many systems on shared circuits and good UPS's that have been running for years with no problems (knock on wood). If you continue to have garbage, it wouldn't hurt to upgrade. A possible bad load of 20052 could be involved. These and all the above suggestions have always cleared my problems of this nature. I have no issues with a good UPS but cheap ones with a square wave are trouble in spades. If the sine wave is at least properly simulated like in the Minuteman Enterprise and other similar commercial systems, you should be ok. Avoid the entry level ones like the plague.

- Dave S. -

You can never appease your ideologue opponents.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  EV607797, JWRacedog, MnDave, nfcphoneman 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Statistics
Forums84
Topics94,262
Posts638,695
Members49,757
Most Online5,661
May 23rd, 2018
Popular Topics(Views)
211,098 Shoretel
187,706 CTX100 install
186,794 1a2 system
Newest Members
BPopilek, Rich F, LewisR, TDKs79, Buttinset
49,757 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
dexman 18
Toner 14
TDKs79 8
pvj 4
Who's Online Now
3 members (Curlycord, JBean3329, mongo5150), 107 guests, and 255 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Contact Us | Sponsored by Atcom: One of the best VoIP Phone Canada Suppliers for your business telephone system!| Terms of Service

Sundance Communications is not affiliated with any of the above manufacturers. Sundance Phone System Forums - VOIP & Cloud Phone Help
©Copyright Sundance Communications 1998-2024