web statisticsweb stats Business Phone Systems Tech Talk Forum - VOIP & Cloud Phone Help

Business Phone Systems

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
OP Offline
Ok so a better search and found this is common on and to get telco to fix the issue as with the other system I had installed. I should have learned from the XBlue system I had done, I think its sinking in.

After blowing the dust off the old system. I put it up this week and installed a VoIP card. Have been using VoIP services for over a year and did not like it. Went back to my old system and something just is not right. System works fine get incoming calls no problem but here is the issue.
Dial tones are on Time Warner and can call in to system ring to phones and answer with no problem, hang up and the line opens up. After setting the voicemail group up and sending the calls to it they get answered and transferred to the extension. If you answer the call and hang up its fine but if you let it go to voicemail and hang up it does not release the ports. I have played with the disconnect timers with no change. I have tested it with a analog telephone and can hang up no problem. I think it is the POTS lines from TM but 100% sure of this. As I do not have a standard POTS line to test my theory with.
Anyone have an idea of this issue?
Only thing I know is when I packed it away it worked fine and has not been touched since, I did add the FP4 to it and the VoIP card. I am thinking that I must not be getting good disconnect from TM. I have had this problem with XBlue system and had telco make some changes and it works fine. The site had a fax line to put in the system to verify this issue.

"It works on our end so it must be fine."
Atcom VoIP Phones
VoIP Demo

Best VoIP Phones Canada

Visit Atcom to get started with your new business VoIP phone system ASAP
Turn up is quick, painless, and can often be done same day.
Let us show you how to do VoIP right, resulting in crystal clear call quality and easy-to-use features that make everyone happy!
Proudly serving Canada from coast to coast.

Moderator-Vertical, Vodavi, 1A2, Outside Wire
First of all, the system you have is quite current. I seriously doubt that there was too much dust to blow off.

Messing with timer settings in the system is a waste time.

Your problem is that your service provider is not sending disconnect supervision, plain and simple. This would apply to any brand or software version of any phone system or voice mail.

Do not trust TWC to tell you that they are sending the disconnect signal. Just get out your test equipment and prove it to them so that they will fix it. There simply is no other solution.

Ed Vaughn, MBSWWYPBX
Moderator-Vodavi, Vertical, XBlue
Good luck, because Comcast Voice for example doesn't even know what a real TelCo disconnect signal is. If TWC is unable to help you, you would be out of luck except that you say you have a Dispatch. You can use it to put a band-aid on your problem by enabling Silence Detect to perform a hang up after 10 seconds rather than waiting 1-3 minutes like you do now. It's not the best, but it's better than nothing.

- Dave S. -

You can never appease your ideologue opponents.

Retired Moderator
Retired Moderator
I've had good luck when I contact TWC with this issue. Comcast on the other hand...............

OP Offline
As I stated I saw where others have had the same and as I had it on the XBlue. Ya it has some dust as it still had FP1 in it so I did the upgrade and installed a TalkPath as Vonage sucks for VoIP services. Now I am working on converting the Vonage phones to the XTS system. This ought to be pretty fun.

Please remember that the biggest killer of proper operation of ANY phone or voice mail system is the absence of disconnect supervision on loop-start lines (or trunks). Systems often go from being "perfect" to a "piece of junk" through no fault of their own.

This often occurs at the hands of the person handling finances for the company who is seeking a cheaper way to get the phone lines into the system. Seems innocent enough.

"We got these state of the art phone lines via VoIP and now our junky old system doesn't work."

Think again...

Disconnect supervision (a decades-old standard) has seemingly become incomprehensible by service providers these days, even with the ILECs. You must make 100% sure that it is being provided before you even think about making a system work.

All Vodavi systems have been designed around proper delivery of this signal since their introduction in 1983. Their default system programming is set up to receive this signal and process it accordingly. If you change these settings in programming, then you broke it. I can promise you with certainty that if you encounter these problems, the answer lies way outside of the system.

So simple, yet so complex! It makes us often do a few of these on a daily basis:

:bang:

Ed Vaughn, MBSWWYPBX
Moderator-Vertical, Vodavi
Moderator-Vertical, Vodavi
Originally posted by Supert8ch:
Ya it has some dust as it still had FP1 in it so I did the upgrade and installed a TalkPath as Vonage sucks for VoIP services. Now I am working on converting the Vonage phones to the XTS system. This ought to be pretty fun.
I don't understand what you're trying to do. What is a Vonage phone? Are you trying to use the VoIP card for SIP trunking?

OP Offline
I am taking some Vonage phones and 8x8 sets defaulting thier firm ware and will work on getting them to work on the XTS-IP system. I have the parts and the system to test with so going to give it a shot. I am experiamenting with the VoIP sets.
Still waiting for WOW to fix the dial tones.

Using non-proprietary phones for the system means that you get no factory support so I'm not sure how much success you will have putting 3rd party VoIP phones on a Vodavi VoIP board. I think at best, you will end up with a poor simulation of an SLT phone with few to none working feature codes. I think we will all be interested in what you accomplish.

- Dave S. -

You can never appease your ideologue opponents.

Retired Moderator
Retired Moderator
Third party phones do not integrate with the system, meaning they will not get their own extension number. They can call in by ip and will ring to the operator who will have to transfer the call to an extension. I don't know how anyone on the XTS will call back though. Maybe they can directly access a voip trunk and dial by IP, but having never used third party phones I can't say for sure.

www.myrandomviews
"Old phone guys never die, they just get locked in some closet with an old phone system and forgotten about"

Retired, taking photographs and hoping to fly one of my many kites.
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  EV607797, JWRacedog, MnDave, nfcphoneman 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Statistics
Forums84
Topics94,262
Posts638,697
Members49,757
Most Online5,661
May 23rd, 2018
Popular Topics(Views)
211,098 Shoretel
187,712 CTX100 install
186,796 1a2 system
Newest Members
BPopilek, Rich F, LewisR, TDKs79, Buttinset
49,757 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
dexman 18
Toner 11
TDKs79 8
jc2it 4
teleco 4
Who's Online Now
1 members (Toner), 116 guests, and 244 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Contact Us | Sponsored by Atcom: One of the best VoIP Phone Canada Suppliers for your business telephone system!| Terms of Service

Sundance Communications is not affiliated with any of the above manufacturers. Sundance Phone System Forums - VOIP & Cloud Phone Help
©Copyright Sundance Communications 1998-2024