web statisticsweb stats Business Phone Systems Tech Talk Forum - VOIP & Cloud Phone Help

Business Phone Systems

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
OP Offline
Hi everyone! I'm a IT administrator trying to teach myself a bit more about phone systems as I constantly am asked about how to administrate certain systems.

Recently one of my clients has decided to go from 9 phone lines down to 4. I called up Comcast and had them remove the excessive lines. My question now is what do I need to do in the phone system in order to make sure that once the lines are disconnected, the system remains uninterrupted?

I have the "Station Guide" for the Vodavi XTSc-IP but I'm not really sure where to go from there. I also have all the appropiate access codes (I think) left to me from the last person who did the administration on the device.

Before the switch, we had 8 regular lines plus 1 dedicated fax line. We have now cut down to 3 lines and 1 fax line. Comcast has told me that the lines will not be disconnected at least for another couple of days, but I want to prepare now for what I need to do to our phone system.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks!!

Atcom VoIP Phones
VoIP Demo

Best VoIP Phones Canada

Visit Atcom to get started with your new business VoIP phone system ASAP
Turn up is quick, painless, and can often be done same day.
Let us show you how to do VoIP right, resulting in crystal clear call quality and easy-to-use features that make everyone happy!
Proudly serving Canada from coast to coast.

Great!!! Another "IT guy" trying to take over the phone mans job! I say that in gest of course, sort of... All you need to do is put the un-used lines in group 00 ( flash 40, button 8 ). And this will only matter if you are using a "9" to dial out, speed dials, and outbound notification.

"I thought I was wrong once, but I was mistaken"
OP Offline
Okay, now I know this sounds pretty dumb probably, but what does "Flash 40, button 8" mean?

Basically in our area there is only one provider for phone system support and they charge ridiculous rates. I work for a non-profit group and we are just trying to save where we can.

Thanks!

Moderator-Vodavi, Vertical, XBlue
Unfortunately, the rules of this board only allow us to offer the "what to do" and not the "how to do" when it comes to programming.

The information above is sufficient for a tech who has some degree of familiarity with the system, but it is beyond our scope to provide step by step instructions. While it may be a sticky point, you could try searching for similar words and manage to put enough together to navigate the system. Otherwise, if you have a modem in the system, you could request remote programming support from a member. There would be a reasonable fee here also, but it depends on what you mean by ridiculous rates. Remember, many of us here on this board are professionals in this industry and as such, is how we feed our family. The free help received here is actually quite generous in my opinion.

BTW, Welcome to the board! welcome

- Dave S. -

You can never appease your ideologue opponents.

Moderator-Vertical, Vodavi, 1A2, Outside Wire
Basically in our area there is only one provider for phone system support and they charge ridiculous rates. I work for a non-profit group and we are just trying to save where we can.

Thanks!
Since you reference your location as "Washington" in your profile, I must question if you are in Washington, DC or the State of Washington. I've been told that our rates for service calls in the DC Metropolitan area are quite reasonable. May I ask what your definition of "ridiculous rates" are?

I only ask this because we spend thousands of dollars per year keeping our technicians trained and find that we need to recover these expenses by charging for our services. Am I missing something?

I understand that you are representing a non-profit group, but even non-profits pay their employees; they just cannot show a net profit. For-profit companies need to charge enough to pay their employees and make a profit or they will go out of business. I don't think that it is possible for a telecommunications service company to qualify as a non-profit entity.

Maybe the reason that there is only one dealer in the area is due to the fact that customers consider the fact that they are charging "ridiculous" rates?

We aren't talking about simple residential wiring repairs here.

Ed Vaughn, MBSWWYPBX
OP Offline
I apologize if I came off wrong - I didn't mean to be offensive or degrading of the service you guys provide in any way. I am from Washington State and there is only one phone support company here and they charge upwards of $150/hour plus a $100 travel fee to come to our location (which is about 5-10 minutes from their office).

I do not believe the system we have has a modem, so remote support really isn't possible. I figured that this was going to be a easy enough fix that we wouldn't need to pay for them to come out and hit a few buttons.

Thanks for the information you provided above - I can probably figure it out myself with a bit of spare time.

I know how it is with people trying to cut IT too, so I can understand where you are coming from.

they charge upwards of $150/hour plus a $100 travel fee
I think I need to raise my rates!

- Dave S. -

Wow, that is a bit steep. Have you tried calling Vertical to see if they can locate someone else for you? Their number is 877-837-8422.

Ed Vaughn, MBSWWYPBX
Retired Moderator
Retired Moderator
Those are typical rates (not what I charge!) around here as well. The price of equipment however is cheaper than in Northern Va markets.

www.myrandomviews
"Old phone guys never die, they just get locked in some closet with an old phone system and forgotten about"

Retired, taking photographs and hoping to fly one of my many kites.
Yes. Such rates (and even higher around here) are more typical of corporate shops and franchises. Independent rates typically offer a better value but often at the expense of not having as deep of a support layer. Large corporations tend to go with large vendors and smaller businesses tend to go with independents such as most of us are. Its the nature of the business.

- Dave S. -

Moderated by  EV607797, JWRacedog, MnDave, nfcphoneman 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Statistics
Forums84
Topics94,262
Posts638,697
Members49,757
Most Online5,661
May 23rd, 2018
Popular Topics(Views)
211,113 Shoretel
187,718 CTX100 install
186,811 1a2 system
Newest Members
BPopilek, Rich F, LewisR, TDKs79, Buttinset
49,757 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
dexman 18
Toner 11
TDKs79 7
pvj 4
Who's Online Now
2 members (ronaldjamesh, justbill), 59 guests, and 425 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Contact Us | Sponsored by Atcom: One of the best VoIP Phone Canada Suppliers for your business telephone system!| Terms of Service

Sundance Communications is not affiliated with any of the above manufacturers. Sundance Phone System Forums - VOIP & Cloud Phone Help
©Copyright Sundance Communications 1998-2024