web statisticsweb stats Business Phone Systems Tech Talk Forum - VOIP & Cloud Phone Help

Business Phone Systems

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
surdel Offline OP
OP Offline
I have used asterisk for a number of years and its had its ups and downs but want to know about the all in one systems that are sold at Digium and if any techs here have installed them? Want to know if they have had any issues. Want to know how many you have installed etc.

So far on a large scale, asterisk powers all the phones at north vancouver city hall but those were dell server based.

While I do know a bit on the asterisk programming, would like to have some support with a new system from Digium.

Thanks smile

Atcom VoIP Phones
VoIP Demo

Best VoIP Phones Canada

Visit Atcom to get started with your new business VoIP phone system ASAP
Turn up is quick, painless, and can often be done same day.
Let us show you how to do VoIP right, resulting in crystal clear call quality and easy-to-use features that make everyone happy!
Proudly serving Canada from coast to coast.

Hurmmm. I'd avoid the switchvox route and stick with the open source version. If you are just dieing to have someone to call when you hit a curve ball then I would recommend either Elastix or Druid. Both options will have someone you can call for support.

If you don't mind me asking, why the interest in switchvox all of the sudden? If you already have practical asterisk experience you will be better off sticking with your own servers and rolling your own stuff or using a distro. SwitchVox will be very limiting if this is where you are coming from.

By the way, I also hate Dells. SuperMicro or HP would be a nicer upgrade in my opinion. The former being my brand of choice.

surdel Offline OP
OP Offline
Kumba,

Partially because if I was out of town, sick, injured, working on another customer site at the time of the call then I would like to defer the call to a support agent that can remote in and fix the issue.
While I do know asterisk fundementals, need to lean on some one in the case im brain stumped on a issue. Asterisk is a complex switch that changes from version to version.

I had a case that for a long time, if my firewall to be turned off or, loose firewall connectivity that all my phones would loose registration. Well, there was a fix but it was not a easy one. Now the lattest asterisk fix has resolved the issue.

I use dell because it is mostly where my experiance of working with over one thousand of them in the past. Seems thay are also used alot in bigger establishments.

How do you have your asterisk configured? Do you use polycom ip series?

Thanks smile

I would still recommend you go with Elastix or Druid over SwitchVox. They have support plans so that you can call someone if you want. Also, I don't know of any of them that will just freely connect to your customers system to do work. They might talk you through it however.

I have used Polycom and Snom phones with pretty good success. My preference is Polycom because I like the provisioning set-up it has.

The reason we don't use Dell is because of a high rate of failure on high-load configurations. SuperMicro is the one brand we've found that seems to have very high quality and consistency batch after batch. HP has been good from the mail-order suppliers we've tried (HP, IBM, Dell, etc) although their RAID cards are somewhat funky.

How do I have what on my Asterisk configured? We use Asterisk directly if that is what you are wondering about. There are 4 of us qualified to look at asterisk with 3 of us being what would be considered "senior tech" level.

Unless you really want to get into some off-the-wall configuration stuff or functionality I would recommend you stick with a distribution like Elastix or Druid. Those are going to be your best bet for finding commercial third party support and other people you can hire on to help. The only reason I would not recommend switchvox is i'm not sure you would be happy with the features, licensing, or hardware.

I know there are other people on here who have sold and installed SwitchVox so maybe you can approach them and get their opinion. Mine comes from the standpoint of an engineer/developer for Asterisk. We like to make the sandbox not play in it smile

Moderator-Vertical, Vodavi
Kumba,

I hadn't heard of Druid, but since you mentioned it, I dug it up. Got very excited because of the user portal and shared line appearances. Unfortunately, it doesn't appear to be supported any more. The makers have moved on to a different product.

Personally, I like Elastix. We have it running as a fax server. PBX In A Flash is okay as well, but I'm not sure you can find support.

FreePBX 3.0 is suppose to be using something besides Asterisk, I think. That could turn out nicely, or a complete disaster.

Just observation from a guy just interested in PLAYING in the sandbox...

I didn't know they had stopped supporting or producing it. I know they have kind of changed the name. It's now referred to as VoiceRoute UCS (or VoiceRoute Druid UCS). You can check it out here: https://www.voiceroute.net/

Their latest community release is 4.2.0. They have a paid-for subscription release that is v.5.2 I believe. The paid for version comes with some extra management options, some useful call reports, and support.

Did you try calling them?

No, I didn't try calling them. I don't want the paid version. wink

Their open-source web site is https://www.voiceroute.org which only shows a download of 2.0. Where are you finding 4.2.0?

If you go to the .org website, you'll find some links that aren't working. If you visit the forum you'll see where I got the information about the support.

Please let me know if you have more information, as I really would like to play with the product.

It looks like Druid 2.0.0 was released on March 2009. The forum still appears to be active somewhat. I believe they will support the open source one, it just won't have all the bells and whistles.

The cost on the paid for version was very reasonable from what I rememeber, and I believe it was a 5-year license or something along those lines. You can download it and get a trial key from here: https://voiceroute.net/download

Or you can play with the open source one here: https://www.voiceroute.org/druidose/download

At any rate, I think it would be worth giving them a call to ask about support.

Moderated by  metelcom 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Statistics
Forums84
Topics94,262
Posts638,693
Members49,757
Most Online5,661
May 23rd, 2018
Popular Topics(Views)
211,098 Shoretel
187,703 CTX100 install
186,792 1a2 system
Newest Members
BPopilek, Rich F, LewisR, TDKs79, Buttinset
49,757 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
dexman 18
Toner 14
TDKs79 8
Who's Online Now
1 members (Curlycord), 103 guests, and 246 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Contact Us | Sponsored by Atcom: One of the best VoIP Phone Canada Suppliers for your business telephone system!| Terms of Service

Sundance Communications is not affiliated with any of the above manufacturers. Sundance Phone System Forums - VOIP & Cloud Phone Help
©Copyright Sundance Communications 1998-2024