web statisticsweb stats Business Phone Systems Tech Talk Forum - VOIP & Cloud Phone Help

Business Phone Systems

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#224760 02/20/10 06:56 AM
OP Offline
Phone company wants to charge us $10 a month for call accounting information. Appears from manuals that the Atlas IIe will do the job for us with an SMDR unit. Our phone installer went our of business so I need to figure this out myself.
We have a large board, not a small KSU box so figuring out where to put the SMDR is a mystery to me at this point. I've found a source for the SMDR but he has no knowledge of the operation it seems. He thinks we need only one SMDR for the 4+ phones in the system. Does that sound right?
I have other questions, but let's try one at a time.

Atcom VoIP Phones
VoIP Demo

Best VoIP Phones Canada

Visit Atcom to get started with your new business VoIP phone system ASAP
Turn up is quick, painless, and can often be done same day.
Let us show you how to do VoIP right, resulting in crystal clear call quality and easy-to-use features that make everyone happy!
Proudly serving Canada from coast to coast.

Moderator-Allworx, Nisuko-Tie, Vodavi
Moderator-Allworx, Nisuko-Tie, Vodavi
I'm not familiar with the Atlas system, but with most systems, here's what you need.

1. A manual to see if there's anything that you must turn on or program to make the SMDR work.
2. A serial port on the KSU that says "SMDR" or the right place to put a SMDR board.
3 A cable(with the right pinout)that is made to connect to the serial port of a computer
4. A printer to connect to the computer
5. A call accounting program to install on the computer.

Now, there are some systems that may only need a printer to be hooked up but most of these record or print "on the fly"--as the calls come in or go out--the printer prints. It prints all activity. That may be a problem---that's why you need a computer and a call accounting program. There are some systems that allow some "massaging" of data in the phone system itself. I don't know if the Atlas can do that, or not. Your manual can tell you.

If you only have 4 phones, your call accounting system may prove to be way too much trouble and way too expensive. For 120 dollars a year, that may be the better investment---but, as you have said, you can "figure this out myself". Most carriers give both local & long distance records on the bill. The don't give what phone extension these calls are coming from or what extensions are answering the calls. That's what you are looking for---is it not?? Good Luck.

That system will be a pain to get smdr. Takes a special box that hangs on the side.
Get your carrier to give codes for long distance thatare required. you can then see who is calling LD.

RIP Moderator-Mitel, Panasonic
RIP Moderator-Mitel, Panasonic
Wait a minute, don't you get a listing of outbound LD calls in your monthly bill?! Can you get it via e-mail? If so you can probably find some software to massage it for the info you need.

And then you can use the PIN codes mentioned above to 'pin' the calls on the appropriate caller. smile (PIN = Personal Identification Number) Typically, you dial and L/D number, then get a tone, after which you enter a 4-8 digit code. Make sure that the PIN is confirmed before the call goes through. It will take 0 time for employees to discover that any old digits of the right quantity will work and calls they don't want to be 'pinned' with will be "un-assignable".

When I was young, I was Liberal. As I aged and wised up, I became Conservative. Now that I'm old, I have settled on Curmudgeon.
OP Offline
The phone company gave us PIN codes for FREE until this month. Now they want to charge us $10 each month. I want to avoid that charge. My staff of 25 is already used to using a code for long distance.
The Atlas IIe has forced acocunt codes available as a programmable option and I have the programming manual, I think. (I say I think because I don't know how to tell what version of software is installed.)

When our system was installed many years ago, the installer used an existing phone board with many exposed connections rather than a dedicated Atlas control box. We have one major phone from which all programming is supposedly done (has a display window) and three other phones that are sort of like "slaves" with no display windows.

I found a company that will sell me a SMDR box but they don't know much (if anything) about setting the system up. It appears from their prsentations that I only need one SMDR which is to be attached beside the major phone but there is no manual detailing the attachment that I can find online or in their information.

Any old-timers out there who have dealt with Atlas IIe systems in the past? Or someone who may have access to a manual for the SMDR?

Thanks for the info on the usual operation of the SMDR which indicates instant print of the call detail. That could indeed be an additional problem for me unless there's a way for me to direct that input to a file in the computer. Call accounting programs I've seen are much too expensive for this application.

RIP Admin
RIP Admin
If I'm not mistaken it used a ribbon cable that connected to the right side of the main cabinet.
I have a manual for the 32i in pdf somewhere, would just have to find it.

Russ runs a local service and private tech center.

[Linked Image from sundance-communications.com][/url]
dtmf is correct. It uses a shielded ribbon cable that plugs into the right side of the KSU.

Manual available at https://www.tda600.com/AtlasManualsLead.htm

The problem with the world is that the intelligent people are full of doubts, while the stupid ones are full of confidence - Charles Bukowski
True but the SMDR Box plugs into the side of the control unit. The boxes were notorious for not working without proper software level. The output is as above,when a station hangs = output.
You need to do three things 1. get an SMDR box that works. 2. Buy a program or write one to collate the output. 3. Get a local tech to set it up (that will be hourly with no known number as to time involved. You could work 3 hrs only to find used box is bad, your plug in port could be bad.
Even if it works right off your in for $400.00.
long payback.
If you already have PIN for LD, what do you want SMDR for???
Gotta have it??? Pay the Ten bucks.
I used to be an Atlas dealer but if you were across the street from me I would not take on the job. It's a no win for any tech. Any problem with
the used / unknown equip and the finger pointing starts.
The pinouts for the cable are in the manual.
If you get the box I hope it works for you.

OP Offline
The SMDR equipment isn't used, it's new. However, from all the rest of the comments I've collected here, it looks like the whole system is a white elephant now. Too bad we aren't in a position to replace the whole system and start from scratch. We'll be leaving the building (rented) and starting a new location/new business in a couple years. Guess we'll be paying the phone company until then. Thanks to all of you who commented.

You must have a serious burr under your saddle about the phone company to even consider spending $700.00 and up to do what the phone co does for $10.00 month!!!

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  metelcom 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Statistics
Forums84
Topics94,262
Posts638,696
Members49,757
Most Online5,661
May 23rd, 2018
Popular Topics(Views)
211,098 Shoretel
187,709 CTX100 install
186,795 1a2 system
Newest Members
BPopilek, Rich F, LewisR, TDKs79, Buttinset
49,757 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
dexman 18
Toner 12
TDKs79 8
jc2it 4
teleco 4
Who's Online Now
1 members (Toner), 106 guests, and 237 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Contact Us | Sponsored by Atcom: One of the best VoIP Phone Canada Suppliers for your business telephone system!| Terms of Service

Sundance Communications is not affiliated with any of the above manufacturers. Sundance Phone System Forums - VOIP & Cloud Phone Help
©Copyright Sundance Communications 1998-2024