Business Phone Systems

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
#231340 08/07/06 10:21 AM
boxster Offline OP
OP Offline
I have a NEC Aspire (IP Phone) which I am using to connect to my office where we have a NEC system IP phone system setup.

Here is my setup.

I have a DSL line coming from (SBC) with a DSL modem. I have hooked up my Linksys WRTP54G router (which supports VoIP and QoS) to this DSL modem. And then I have connected my NEC IP phone to one of the Ethernet ports on this linksys router. But this phone is unable to get a pvt IP from this linksys router. I am getting the message while it trys to find DHCP server. Message :"DRS (1) First ....Connection Timed out".

My laptop and desktop is able to surf internet fine using same router (router assigned 192.x.x.)to these devices.

I know we have to have a VPN tunnel in place which we do but my understanding is that this IP phone is like just any other computer and router should assign a pvt IP internally before it goes out. Any suggestions?

For test purposes I took the same IP phone to my office LAN (where we have this NEC system setup) and hooked up to one of the wall jack and it grabbed the IP.

Any help on this would be great..

TIA.

Atcom VoIP Phones
VoIP Demo

Best VoIP Phones Canada

Visit Atcom to get started with your new business VoIP phone system ASAP
Turn up is quick, painless, and can often be done same day.
Let us show you how to do VoIP right, resulting in crystal clear call quality and easy-to-use features that make everyone happy!
Proudly serving Canada from coast to coast.

You can turn off DHCP and manually assign an IP address to your phone. You may also need to eliminate a prior IP address. Either of those may solve the problem. Also verify subnet mask and gateway.

I typically assign IP addresses manually because DAta people are not above making changes to the DHCP server or changing the available IP range.

Also, make sure that the Phone is looking for the right IP addresses (CPU and IP-PAD). All of this is in the setup portion of the IP System Manual.

once an IP phone has registered itself, you need to log into the Ip card and delete the ipaddress that it connected with and clear the MAC address.

Is the phone not able to get a DHCP address or can it get one but still unable to connect to the DRS? A way of eliminating the DHCP server as mentioned is setting a static. I believe if it can't get an address it would be that error message displayed. In any case you will probably have to enter the DRS address manually as I doubt the Linksys DHCP server supports the neccesary custom options.

What is your VPN is it a hardware device or a software client?

Remember, if you don't do it right it doesn't take as long...
boxster Offline OP
OP Offline
Well when I hooked up the phone to my router first it said connecting to DHCP server and then got the message "DRS(1)first...connection timed out".

I am not sure if phone even got the IP address. I checked the DHCP log of the router I didn't see any ip allocation to this phone.

We are using a cisco 2400 series router on the other end.

thx

"We are using a cisco 2400 series router on the other end."

But what is at the end of the VPN tunnel at your end?

Remember, if you don't do it right it doesn't take as long...
Seeing that your using a Linksys on your end, I'm assuming your using a VPN Client installed on your laptop...which only gives your laptop access to your work resources.

If you have a site-to-site VPN connection then you won't have any probs.

Moderated by  ttech 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Statistics
Forums84
Topics94,291
Posts638,804
Members49,767
Most Online5,661
May 23rd, 2018
Popular Topics(Views)
212,374 Shoretel
189,059 CTX100 install
187,411 1a2 system
Newest Members
Robbks, A2A Networks, James D., Nadisale, andreww
49,767 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
Toner 24
teleco 6
dexman 5
jsaad 4
Who's Online Now
4 members (Toner, Touch Tone Tommy, Professor Shadow, Carl Navarro), 168 guests, and 388 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Contact Us | Sponsored by Atcom: One of the best VoIP Phone Canada Suppliers for your business telephone system!| Terms of Service

Sundance Communications is not affiliated with any of the above manufacturers. Sundance Phone System Forums - VOIP & Cloud Phone Help
©Copyright Sundance Communications 1998-2024