web statisticsweb stats Business Phone Systems Tech Talk Forum - VOIP & Cloud Phone Help

Business Phone Systems

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
OP Offline
Actually, at 57 years of age I'm an old-timer myself! Finding myself laid off from my telecom job I'm looking at starting up my own business and was looking for any advice from you guys who've already been down this road.
I've picked up some service work from companies I used to do service for and was wondering how you guys prospect for new business.
I know in this current business climate, everything is slow but I thought I might pick up some tricks of the trade.
I've already sold a XBlue X16 system so I'm hoping some word of mouth will get things started.

Thanks in advance for any help you may give!

Atcom VoIP Phones
VoIP Demo

Best VoIP Phones Canada

Visit Atcom to get started with your new business VoIP phone system ASAP
Turn up is quick, painless, and can often be done same day.
Let us show you how to do VoIP right, resulting in crystal clear call quality and easy-to-use features that make everyone happy!
Proudly serving Canada from coast to coast.

My signature line says it all. If I was looking for something to do this sure wouldn't be it.

-Hal

CALIFORNIA PROPOSITION 65 WARNING: Some comments made by me are known to the State of California to cause irreversible brain damage and serious mental disorders leading to confinement.
RIP Moderator-Mitel, Panasonic
RIP Moderator-Mitel, Panasonic
Terry, altho Hal seems kinda bitter about the whole thing, I have to admit that retiring at 63 sure was a nice option for me! Ran the numbers, considered MY options and didn't let the door hit me on the butt on the way out! smile Keep my hand in through word of mouth, don't look for work. If I don't like/trust the customer, I don't do the work and refer him to someone hungrier. Unfortunately, you've got 5 years to early SS. frown There will probably be others along who have some good ideas. John C.

When I was young, I was Liberal. As I aged and wised up, I became Conservative. Now that I'm old, I have settled on Curmudgeon.
When I first retired (23 years now); I tried the word of mouth, it just did'nt get it you have to be agressive.

Moderator-Nortel, Computers, General
Moderator-Nortel, Computers, General
"Word of Mouth" is the best & least expensive advertising. Before that is of any use though, as Jim says, you must be aggressive. Before anyone can pass your name along, you have to be known.

Contact any clients that you served before retiring. If they liked your work, personality, etc., they might be willing to give you a chance.

Scientists say that the universe is made up of Protons, Neutron & Electrons. They forgot "Morons".
Dave. (CTUB) Canadian Techs Use Bix!
If you have some big Fortune 500 type accounts then go for it, but if all your seeing is little small biz pbx of less than 20 phones then i would rather try and get a job.

Sure when you start you may think the money coming in is better than the number you got from your last employer, but when after say the first year you look at what you spend on insurance, an accountant to do your sales tax & state & fed taxes, transport, utilities, etc etc etc you will soon find out that you personally only can keep around 25 cent in every dollar you get in your mailbox if your lucky.

This year i have seen the new systems from small biz almost totaly dry up, just service.
If you lucky enough to have some national type accounts they are still buying new things like Pink Noise systems.

Also don't take this personally but York PA? I could be totaly wrong but how much industry is out there where you live?

one other thing, if your customer tells you "give me a great deal on this system and i know heaps of other biz that i will refer to you" dont believe it it very rarely happens.......

Avalon Services
New Jersey Voip Telephone systems voice & Data Cabling
www.avalonphones.com
word of mouth sales do not come easily, they require a time of building your name through quality service to your customers. one or two jobs will rarely generate more sales, and I agree with Avalon, if someone tells you that you'll get heaps of business from doing a "deal" for them, the heap has already been deposited!!! IF you decide to stay in the telecom field, work hard, make cold calls (TONS of them) get your name out there and be prepared to keep way less of the revenue than you generate. Good Luck!

I did the same thing a couple years ago. The company I worked for went "Cisco" and left guys like me hung out to dry. Rather than work for someone else for peanuts, I gave this a try. I picked a fine time to do it, on the cusp of a recession. Having said that, it's not impossible. If you've never done sales before, learn. It may be the hardest and most frustrating part of the job. Like MooreTel said, "word of mouth" is the best form of advertising. Get in touch with old customers and let them know you're out there. Get in touch with I.T. guys. They can funnel cabling and small system work your way. Have a flier made up and start handing them out door to door. A lot of them will get tossed, but a fair share will get hung on to. I've had calls off them a full year after handing them out. It's boring and tedious, but you have to get the word out. Get a web site built. It doesn't have to be anything fancy, but it should be informational. Make use of free online advertising (google, yahoo, etc) and direct them to your site. This takes time to develop also, but I find myself getting more work off the web as I go along.

St Petersburg
"the Company went Cisco" Nice one........
We used to do MAC's for this Shipping Company every other week, they had all 4 floors , about 3 Avaya G3's stacked on top of each other, they had a "Telecom Guy" who used to give us the work, then he seemed to drop off the face of the earth, so one day I walked in, the Receptionist said he had been sacked, looked at her desk, gone were the Avaya phones, in its place was a new Cisco phone...........

Avalon Services
www.avalonphones.com
"sales is the hardest thing" spot on....
The endless Chamber of Commerce events, all the other networking, buying people lunch who talk a good game & then never give you anything....it wears you down.

Another thing i have noticed in this recession is that getting paid is taking longer than before and in some cases is a real worry that you will actually ever see the money.......

Avalon Services
www.avalonphones.com
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  MooreTel 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Statistics
Forums84
Topics94,262
Posts638,696
Members49,757
Most Online5,661
May 23rd, 2018
Popular Topics(Views)
211,098 Shoretel
187,709 CTX100 install
186,794 1a2 system
Newest Members
BPopilek, Rich F, LewisR, TDKs79, Buttinset
49,757 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
dexman 18
Toner 12
TDKs79 8
jc2it 4
teleco 4
Who's Online Now
1 members (Curlycord), 101 guests, and 252 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Contact Us | Sponsored by Atcom: One of the best VoIP Phone Canada Suppliers for your business telephone system!| Terms of Service

Sundance Communications is not affiliated with any of the above manufacturers. Sundance Phone System Forums - VOIP & Cloud Phone Help
©Copyright Sundance Communications 1998-2024