web statisticsweb stats Business Phone Systems Tech Talk Forum - VOIP & Cloud Phone Help

Business Phone Systems

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#235136 09/19/07 09:03 AM
OP Offline
We have been researching new phone equipment for several months now. I have been following these boards to see some of the pros/cons of the systems we have considered. We are seriously considering the IPK II, as it has a very nice feature set and seems to be of high quality.

However, the only thing I am not crazy about is the phones for the IPK II. They seem to be the same handsets that were released back in 2002. (I think...) Anyway, in an earlier thread, I saw reference to NEC preparing to release new phones. Are these for the IPK II? If so, do you know when they may be released? The thread I found the reference to the new phones can be found here: New Phone Ref

Also, how good is the EliteMail LX with unified messaging? We are considering an upgrade to that voicemail for the added features. Does it integrate well with Microsoft Exchange/Outlook? Are the features robust for mobile sales people? (Such as forwarding calls to cell phones during business hours, but taking a message after hours?)

Thanks for answering my questions. wink

Atcom VoIP Phones
VoIP Demo

Best VoIP Phones Canada

Visit Atcom to get started with your new business VoIP phone system ASAP
Turn up is quick, painless, and can often be done same day.
Let us show you how to do VoIP right, resulting in crystal clear call quality and easy-to-use features that make everyone happy!
Proudly serving Canada from coast to coast.

#235137 09/19/07 09:44 AM
Hi Bullfrog.

You are correct. The fones are looking a bit dated but NEC has a new range due out in the next month or two which are very nice.

The LX mail with UM. Unfortunatly this is basically a mid 1990s design and is way short of what I would expect from a modern UM. Its fine for VM delivery to the inbox but if you want CLID popup or dial from contacts as a part of it forget it..

Regards,

Paul W
Now back to a 0 day week. Love these 7 day weekends.
#235138 09/19/07 02:45 PM
OP Offline
Hmmm. That is a little disappointing about about the LX mail. Is there another solution available from NEC that I should inquire about if UM is important? What about the features and performance of the LX mail option if we disregard the UM? Is it on par with everything else out there?

#235139 09/19/07 05:03 PM
Forgetting the UM function. If you have allot of digital sets then the LX is a good way to go as it is menu driven from the fone. Not to wonderful for the analog fone user. If your voicemail requirements are less than 128 stations and a vanilla front end Automated Attendant then you could consider the cheaper InMail that also has nice menu driven buttons on the digital sets and is Ok for analog users..

Have a talk to one of your NEC dealers and arrange a demo of both units..

Regards,

Paul W
Now back to a 0 day week. Love these 7 day weekends.
#235140 09/20/07 01:55 AM
The LX mail does have unified messaging and has a lot going for it with more to come. The more options you want such as UM than you buy the key code to open it up. NEC is now focusing on 2 different models of voice mail instead of the multiple models they have now. The LX is part of the upcoming models

The new phones due out sometime in early 08 will only work with the new IPK II platform due out January, all existing hardware ie phones circuit cards will migrate.

We get old too soon, smart too late
#235141 09/21/07 04:06 AM
OP Offline
dans - If I understand what you said, the current IPK II will not be compatible with the new phones once they are released? I'm a little nervous investing in a technology if I know it is at the end of its lifecycle. (We have that problem with our current system. It was discontinued months after purchase. 8 years later, our only choice for phones are overpriced refurbs.)

What advantages will these new phones offer? Anything significant?

Our quote does not specify which voice mail is included. The line item says: UM512 (8) (With Features). Is that the EliteMail LX?

#235142 09/21/07 04:07 PM
Per NEC the future for the IPK II is at least 10 years. If for any reason anyone with the current platform wanted to upgrade due to advance features will very little expense.

New phones are modular. If you bought a 6 button phone and in 1 year you decided a 12 button is needed instead of buying a whole new phone you buy a 6 button kit, you remove a blank cover on the phone and the button kit slides in and presto you now have the 12 button phone. The same will work with 3 different displays, the largest being touch sensitive.
Decided you need a cordless, slide off the handset cradle from the main phone and slide in the cordless base unit.

I will have to look into what the UM512 is, top of my head I don't know, I will find out.

We get old too soon, smart too late
#235143 09/22/07 02:04 AM
The UM512 (8) is the flash media for the VMP U-40 Elitemail card. It should be licensed for Unified Messaging with 8 ports.

www.phonelinetech.com

"Can I Still Call Out?"
#235144 09/25/07 10:07 AM
OP Offline
So, with EliteMail LX, the Unified Messaging only gives you a copy of the voicemail in the users' inbox, correct? It does not allow you to dial your phone from MS Outlook or see Caller ID on the computer screen?

Also, I want to confirm another capability of the system. We have several sales people on the road. We would like the system to follow a schedule that would transfer calls to their extension to their cell phone (outside of the system) during business hours, then just go straight to the user's voice mail during evening hours and on weekends. Is it possible to set this up?

#235145 09/25/07 12:55 PM
If you want you NEC phone to dial from your outlook or ACT contacts you'll need to get a TAPI adapter in each phone you need this function. That has nothing to do with voicemail or UM.

You can set only one system schedule, but you can route the salesmen's DID line to their cells during business hours then to their individual VM boxes after hours. They would all have to be on the same schedule though.

D

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  ttech 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Statistics
Forums84
Topics94,262
Posts638,693
Members49,757
Most Online5,661
May 23rd, 2018
Popular Topics(Views)
211,098 Shoretel
187,703 CTX100 install
186,793 1a2 system
Newest Members
BPopilek, Rich F, LewisR, TDKs79, Buttinset
49,757 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
dexman 18
Toner 14
TDKs79 8
Who's Online Now
2 members (Curlycord, dexman), 54 guests, and 245 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Contact Us | Sponsored by Atcom: One of the best VoIP Phone Canada Suppliers for your business telephone system!| Terms of Service

Sundance Communications is not affiliated with any of the above manufacturers. Sundance Phone System Forums - VOIP & Cloud Phone Help
©Copyright Sundance Communications 1998-2024