web statisticsweb stats

Business Phone Systems

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
#23586 02/01/10 03:02 AM
elbowed their way onto the boats, and whacked the rich folks in the head with the oars.

Now I feel encouraged. I knew I had a reason for whacking at those CGs and IT "professionals".

-Hal

CALIFORNIA PROPOSITION 65 WARNING: Some comments made by me are known to the State of California to cause irreversible brain damage and serious mental disorders leading to confinement.
Atcom VoIP Phones
VoIP Demo

Best VoIP Phones Canada

Visit Atcom to get started with your new business VoIP phone system ASAP
Turn up is quick, painless, and can often be done same day.
Let us show you how to do VoIP right, resulting in crystal clear call quality and easy-to-use features that make everyone happy!
Proudly serving Canada from coast to coast.

#23587 02/01/10 03:09 AM
those other guys (Sparky-IT), just don't get "Voice Communications".

No they don't but look at what's happening. The manufacturers are changing their products into something that those butt heads CAN understand because they are in a better position to sell their products than us.

-Hal

CALIFORNIA PROPOSITION 65 WARNING: Some comments made by me are known to the State of California to cause irreversible brain damage and serious mental disorders leading to confinement.
#23588 02/01/10 03:39 AM
Moderator-Vodavi, Vertical, XBlue
Moderator-Vodavi, Vertical, XBlue
Yeah. Once upon a time in the not too distant past, IT gurus thought all anyone ever needed was dial tone and the ability to transfer a call. Gee, what else was there? It didn't matter that our reliable systems were built on years of finely tuned applications. Now of course, all our larger accounts have turned telephony oversight over to IT so if we fail to learn all their phrases, they think we are Neanderthals.

- Dave S. -

You can never appease your ideologue opponents.

#23589 02/01/10 03:48 AM
well That Door Swings Both Ways, IMO, This is the way Communications is Going and Nothing is Going to Change That. I Guess its time To Evolve. "Just My two Cents"

"The Only Stupid Question, Is the Question Thats not Asked."
#23590 02/01/10 04:23 AM
Originally posted by RSRUITER:
Where would one get the schooling training to work on these business phone systems as a permanent occupation? Thank you in advance.
Hey, you could contact me in PM if you're interested, depening on what you had in mind.

As been pointed out Hal tends to be negative, but I think that in the long run there is hope.

To some degree the lousy ecomony might be a silver lining. Every one is cutting corners and trying to take the (in the short term) cheap way out. But cabling done poorly comes home to roost pretty quickly. As Verizon etc start to roll out higher performance services and their service calls and complaints grow and is traced back to cabling. Customers and providers will realize that they don't hire IT and EC to do plumbing for a reason. They'll stop hiring them to pull data as well.

It would be helpfull if they took an active roll in creating a licensing and demanding standards. But I think in the long run this will happen.

Now because of the power of the Unions and the EC it might end up happening in the same way the you have to have a seperate license for security. Jusst because you're EC doesn't mean that you can do alarm.

#23591 02/01/10 06:12 AM
Just because you're EC doesn't mean that you can do alarm.

Depends on the location or state. Most allow an EC to do anything including security. That's what empowers these guys to do anything for a buck, especially if they have their foot in the door already. What customers don't realize is that qualifications and experience are prerequisites for doing something for money, and these guys have absolutely none.

I wouldn't hold my breath waiting for licensing as a way to qualify and especially standards do be implemented. As long as there are no safety issues the rest is for the customer and marketplace to sort out. We all know that most customers are dumb as mud when it comes to techincal stuff so the name of the game is the job goes to whoever provides the most convincing story. If you are an EC show them your truck that says "licensed Contractor" on it along with telephone, data, CATV, and electrical work. If you are a CG or IT "professional", show them the diplomas you have for a masters in computer husbandry.

-Hal

#23592 02/01/10 08:34 AM
Well in MA it's the case you have to have specific S license to do security. At least recent experience in in one town anyway.

In RI and CT you have to have a low voltage license and I do not believe that having an EC covers it. In CT there are actually 2 different licenses a T1 if you are just a worker, but you need a T2 to pull low voltage permit and again I do not believe that having an EC license covers that in CT.

#23593 02/01/10 10:18 AM
I only know NY and CT. CT has a license for everything but I do know that a EC (E1) trumps all the other electrical licenses. Look here.

-Hal

#23594 02/01/10 03:49 PM
Just speaking from personal experience, I got my start in Network Administration (a college program), did an internship with a local library networking department, and found the job I have now. The more you know about computing and networking the better, but I learned more valuable information working in the field I work in now.

Find an interconnect company and try to get in with them is your best bet. And I disagree that our industry is dying...we just need to evolve, and most of us will because we have to (though that doesn't necessarily mean we have to like it.)

#23595 02/16/10 05:19 AM
Dying no, evolving yes. The whole world runs on communications now...that's not just going to go away. The landscape of who is doing what to enable what kind of communication is what's changing.

--Matt
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  MooreTel 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Statistics
Forums84
Topics94,284
Posts638,771
Members49,765
Most Online5,661
May 23rd, 2018
Popular Topics(Views)
211,457 Shoretel
188,314 CTX100 install
187,088 1a2 system
Newest Members
Nadisale, andreww, gohunt, Darrick, telecopippo
49,764 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
Toner 23
teleco 5
jc2it 4
dans 3
jsaad 2
Who's Online Now
1 members (jkmartin), 141 guests, and 288 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Contact Us | Sponsored by Atcom: One of the best VoIP Phone Canada Suppliers for your business telephone system!| Terms of Service

Sundance Communications is not affiliated with any of the above manufacturers. Sundance Phone System Forums - VOIP & Cloud Phone Help
©Copyright Sundance Communications 1998-2024