web statisticsweb stats

Business Phone Systems

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
OP Offline
I posed this question at the DSX direct site, but despite valiant efforts, I wasn't able to get a definitive answer. Let's see if anyone here has some insight. I apologize in advance for the length, but it is a cut and paste of replies to requests for clarification from the DSX site.:

I am in the process of setting up a system for the Episcopal Diocese in our area and have been tasked with finding a way to make the following scenario work:

A caller calls in to the Attendant and chooses to use the Dial-by-Name directory. They decide they would like to talk to Bishop X. Bishop X wants to be in the directory, and wants his name on his phone; however, he wants those calls to ring his assistant's extension. His assistant needs to have his name in the directory also, so it is not okay to override his extension name.

This is the only idea I have come up with so far, but I don't have the system here yet to play with and I thought I' throw this out to you guys to see (1) if you think this will work, and (2) if you have any better way to handle this situation.

1. Set up a phantom mailbox 4xx with the name Bishop X.
2. Place a Call Cover Immediate key for this phantom on the assistant's phone. (Question: Will this actually ring since it's a phantom?)
3. If there is no answer, I do not see any option to auto-forward messages to another extension. Would this force me to take up more real estate on the assistant's phone for a mailbox key? (Email forward is not an option here as the Bishop doesn't read his email. :p )

They haven't answered who would handle the messages yet; however, they are very concerned about using up keys that they want to set as one-touch buttons to other people in the Diocese. Having to check 2 mailboxes will not appeal to them either, but if it's the only way, we'll have to do that. It would be so much more efficient to have a forward option on the Intramail. I get requests for this ALL THE TIME.

The problem I see with making the Bishop's phone not ring is two-fold:
1. All their phones will be ringing on ICM calls - not hands-free. He wants to hear ICM calls ring.
2. He will specifically be giving his extension number to people that he WANTS to be able to get to him directly. He will want to hear those calls ring. It is only people that call him through the directory that he does NOT want to reach him.

Will a phantom SLT ring on a call cover key? If so, does it need to use a physical port, or can it be a phanom port also?

"I'm the one that has to die when it's time for me to die, so let me live my life, the way I want to."
-- Jimi Hendrix

Atcom VoIP Phones
VoIP Demo

Best VoIP Phones Canada

Visit Atcom to get started with your new business VoIP phone system ASAP
Turn up is quick, painless, and can often be done same day.
Let us show you how to do VoIP right, resulting in crystal clear call quality and easy-to-use features that make everyone happy!
Proudly serving Canada from coast to coast.

Stacy,

The phantoms on the DSX are mailboxes that have no extension so they are unable to do any extension functions. Maybe you can try using one of the ring group pilot numbers and assign a call coverage key, ring no answer into its own mailbox.
The IPK II, SV8100, and the Aspire all have virtual extensions that will do what you have explained.

We get old too soon, smart too late
OP Offline
This is what I'm going to try per davew's suggestion, and right along the lines of what you were thinking, too, dans:

Use a Ring Group. Program the name in the name field. Either put the secretary in the Ring Group or give her a Call Coverage Key of the Ring Group Extension. Make sure you record the Bishops name in the Ring Group MB. So the caller hears “Press 1 for Bishop x”

Set the directory list in the Ring Group mailbox but leave the bishop’s mailbox Directory List option set to NONE. He can still have his name on his phone but it will not be included in the directory.

FYI - If you use an SLT port you do need hardware.

If I put the assistant's extension as the only member of the ring group, then I will only have to add one key for the mailbox to his phone. I'm waiting on an SLT card, and once I have that I'll start experimenting.

The limitations on the Intramail continue to frustrate me. NEC has made some huge advancements with adding email integration, and I know that they have some other very nice features in the works, but not being able to do a simple forward is crazy.

Thanks for your reply, dans.

"I'm the one that has to die when it's time for me to die, so let me live my life, the way I want to."
-- Jimi Hendrix

Moderated by  ttech 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Statistics
Forums84
Topics94,282
Posts638,762
Members49,764
Most Online5,661
May 23rd, 2018
Popular Topics(Views)
211,436 Shoretel
188,263 CTX100 install
187,072 1a2 system
Newest Members
Nadisale, andreww, gohunt, Darrick, telecopippo
49,764 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
Toner 23
teleco 6
jc2it 4
dexman 4
Who's Online Now
1 members (justbill), 85 guests, and 125 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Contact Us | Sponsored by Atcom: One of the best VoIP Phone Canada Suppliers for your business telephone system!| Terms of Service

Sundance Communications is not affiliated with any of the above manufacturers. Sundance Phone System Forums - VOIP & Cloud Phone Help
©Copyright Sundance Communications 1998-2024