Business Phone Systems

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Retired Admin
Retired Admin
I agree with Bill Flippen (and others). As the technician installing your equipment, it is more important to me that EVERYTHING works as you were promised.

There are some salespeople who will promise you anything to get the "comission"*

Most technicians know more than any salesman will ever dream of knowing. (again *)

*This does not include those salesman who actually bother to learn what they are selling...I have actually known a few...

Dean
Photographs:
https://www.instagram.com/deanwilsoncanby/
https://fstoppers.com/profile/deanwilsoncanby
https://www.facebook.com/Dean-Wilson-Photography-112841337020414

Please don't confuse your "Internet Search" with my licenses, certifications and over 30 years experience.

"Thank you for calling Technical Support. If you feel you have reached this number in error, please hang up and press redial."
Atcom VoIP Phones
VoIP Demo

Best VoIP Phones Canada

Visit Atcom to get started with your new business VoIP phone system ASAP
Turn up is quick, painless, and can often be done same day.
Let us show you how to do VoIP right, resulting in crystal clear call quality and easy-to-use features that make everyone happy!
Proudly serving Canada from coast to coast.

Most technicians know more than any salesman will ever dream of knowing. (again *)
So true!

Never hurts to have the tech who's installing the system be there at the "sale" meeting to make sure it's gonna suit your needs..

Trump 2020
Proud 1 star member.
Moderator-Vodavi, Vertical, XBlue
Moderator-Vodavi, Vertical, XBlue
we weren't completely satisfied with the system in the first place so we are looking at getting a new system.
Having sold and installed tons of Vodavi systems since 1983, I have to say that it wasn't the Vodavi system you weren't satisfied with. Their systems are so flexible that I can only believe it was the incompetent vendor who went out of business who didn't know how to set it up for you and provide proper training. I can't tell you how many times we have picked up service accounts from failed vendors and find that we wow the customer with the ability to customize the system beyond their wildest dreams. I happen to also sell NEC and depending on my customer's needs, sometimes that system is or is not more appropriate for them. The vendor really needs to determine your requirements and go from there.

- Dave S. -

You can never appease your ideologue opponents.

Susanna Offline OP
OP Offline
Originally posted by Professor Shadow:
Originally posted by Susanna:
[b] The company we've gotten a quote from so far has gotten praise from people I've talked with about them who are using phone systems from them.
Do you see problem with getting references provided by a company who is trying to sell you something? I worked for a company in the past that would give you the last 5 customers, rather than presenting the 'polished' apples. [/b]
Oh, the people were not people that the company referred us to, they were people that we know through other people and just called to ask how they liked their phone systems. But that is certainly something to keep in mind since we've been given a couple of names from the company we're considering working with.

Susanna Offline OP
OP Offline
Heh, you guys have pretty well convinced me that it was the company and not the hardware. This is going to take a lot longer than we had hoped so we've got all the phones forwarded and have a bit more time to research and decide.

The company we have spoken to so far has not convinced me the are the right choice. One of the customers they referred us to speak to had only had the phone system installed for two days. Even worse, that customer had bought their last phone system only four years ago from the same company and the previous phone system no longer worked. We are aiming for a lot longer than 4 years...is that normal? How long should we expect a phone system to last? The person we spoke to did say that when they bought the system it was...well, she implied it was not a very good system to begin with. We'll be calling some other places tomorrow.

Would this be a name for the NEC system? UNIVERGE Desktop IP and Digital Terminals

And really, what we would love is a phone that has a big "Caller ID" button on it so it is easy to check caller ID. We don't need fancy, and we hate pressing extra buttons. The salesmen seemed so impressed with all the options...that you had to get to by pressing a series of buttons while looking at that tiny little screen that is hard for some people to read. We prefer lots of clearly labeled buttons to going through a bunch of menus just to page someone the next room over. We might as well yell if we have to press that many. They had one larger color touchscreen that probably would be easier, but they didn't have it set up to actually work so we couldn't see how many buttons would have to be pressed to get to caller ID.

By the way, you all are great. Thanks so much for all the info!

KLD Offline
Okay, you have computers more than 4 years old?
If it says "IP" anyplace it is based on a computer and you lose what you are used to...dependability and ease of use. You gain a nice looking paper weight and the need to buy licenses every year. Is it worth it?

Do you really want to be on the "bleeding edge" of technology? Are you willing to be the training site for this company?

How long should a telephone system last? Well, if it is properly installed and maintained, anywhere upwards of 15-20 years is not unusual here in the area of the Midwest I'm in. For the techno-nerds....5 to 7 on an average.

As the others have said, talk to the tech...not the salesman. Do a little on line research...you have mentioned NEC...try their DSX series. It should cover all your needs of no button CID, caller logging, on-and-on-and-on options. When you look at their website, check their dealer locator for your area.

Good luck!

Ken
---------
Retired Admin
Retired Admin
Originally posted by Susanna:
Mostly I would like to know if NEC is considered a reliable system that should work for us long term.
Here is a thought. Look at the different categories on this forum:

"3 Com to Other"

Observe which ones haven't had a post for 30 days or longer. Of those within 30 days, which posts are about systems that are no longer available (Sprint) et cetera.

The most common systems are Avaya, NEC, Panasonic, Toshiba*.

[*I am thinking of cost effective systems within your guidelines]

Dean
Photographs:
https://www.instagram.com/deanwilsoncanby/
https://fstoppers.com/profile/deanwilsoncanby
https://www.facebook.com/Dean-Wilson-Photography-112841337020414

Please don't confuse your "Internet Search" with my licenses, certifications and over 30 years experience.

"Thank you for calling Technical Support. If you feel you have reached this number in error, please hang up and press redial."
My bias would be to the Nortel Norstar MICS, single pair system, all digital, customer can easily program buttons as needed, basic ksu give up to 8 lines and 32 stations.
But that's just me.

Willing to share what I've learned in my past 40 years dealing with both ends of the phone line. Competent (Ihope) on Norstar, competent on Harris 20-20.
Sounds like they are proposing an NEC SV8100.

Very good reliable system.

D

KLD Offline
dhw1949, why would anyone buy a system that is being discontinued and the manufacturer no longer exists? Especially as they want one that will last for years?

Ken
---------
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  MooreTel 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Statistics
Forums84
Topics94,299
Posts638,875
Members49,770
Most Online5,661
May 23rd, 2018
Popular Topics(Views)
212,740 Shoretel
189,816 CTX100 install
187,942 1a2 system
Newest Members
Dave Simmons, Soulece, Robbks, A2A Networks, James D.
49,769 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
Toner 21
teleco 9
dans 6
dexman 6
Who's Online Now
3 members (jeffmoss26, dexman, JBean3329), 146 guests, and 310 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Contact Us | Sponsored by Atcom: One of the best VoIP Phone Canada Suppliers for your business telephone system!| Terms of Service

Sundance Communications is not affiliated with any of the above manufacturers. Sundance Phone System Forums - VOIP & Cloud Phone Help
©Copyright Sundance Communications 1998-2024