web statisticsweb stats

Business Phone Systems

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
shrcp Offline OP
OP Offline
My company has a NEC Electra Elite IPK phone system and we are getting ready to switch to a new ISP provider. I'm not that familiar with NEC, more familiar with Inter-tel and Executone. How do I find out what type of connection is the phone system is using to connect to the local telephone company (local loop? We have two T1 connection bonded, but don't think its tie down to the phone system. Also, notice two Hi-cap Adtran cards, both looks like its for the two T1. Trying to switch carrier, but do not want to take down the phone system when I cancel the service. I disconnect the router from T1, and the phone system still works. So does that mean the T1s are not tie to the phone system. Or Do I have to remove the Hi-Cap card to test the service.

Any help is greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Atcom VoIP Phones
VoIP Demo

Best VoIP Phones Canada

Visit Atcom to get started with your new business VoIP phone system ASAP
Turn up is quick, painless, and can often be done same day.
Let us show you how to do VoIP right, resulting in crystal clear call quality and easy-to-use features that make everyone happy!
Proudly serving Canada from coast to coast.

Typically the phone system and the ISP are not related, unless you have Hi-Cap lines over IP. Starting at the IPK, follow the wires backwards until you find one that goes to the MPOE. If it goes through an ADTRAN to get there, then that ADTRAN is the CSU/DSU for a T-1 or DSL line to the IPK. Find out the circuit ID, and see if that's one of the circuits that you're changing.

If not, no worries. If so, well, time to call a real phone guy. Actually, calling a real phone guy to check it out is probably just a good idea.

It's worth an hour's rate to make sure that you won't have a service interruption.

shrcp Offline OP
OP Offline
Hi telephoneguy,

Thank you for responding to my post. I don't have an IPK card on the NEC phone cabinet, so I don't think the Hi-Cap lines are over IP. However, I did traced the wires back that was connected to AMP 1 on the phone system. Those wires are connect to a 50 block punch block, then to the two ADTRAN H2TUR 1223026L7 cards that have two CAT 5 coming out of the slot card enclosure; each cable has 2 pairs connecting to two different 50 block punch block.

I'm going to contact the phone tech, but like you said I really don't think the system is related to the T1's. The reason I was concerned because the last phone system (Inter-tel) I managed had two T1 cards (local loop, and remote office connection) and was connected directly two T1 ADtran Hi-CAPs. That system also had IPC card for IP phones. Anyhow, I'm new to NEC but based on my assessment I think the NEC is not connected to the T1s even though the wiring appears to be. The only wires that are connected I think are my trunk lines that are connected to AT&T C/O.

The IPK I mentioned is not a card, it's the KSU (phone system cabinet).

Calling an NEC dealer or associate is an excellent idea.

Moderated by  ttech 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Statistics
Forums84
Topics94,294
Posts638,835
Members49,769
Most Online5,661
May 23rd, 2018
Popular Topics(Views)
212,643 Shoretel
189,528 CTX100 install
187,783 1a2 system
Newest Members
Soulece, Robbks, A2A Networks, James D., Nadisale
49,768 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
Toner 24
teleco 9
dans 5
dexman 4
Who's Online Now
1 members (dans), 125 guests, and 306 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Contact Us | Sponsored by Atcom: One of the best VoIP Phone Canada Suppliers for your business telephone system!| Terms of Service

Sundance Communications is not affiliated with any of the above manufacturers. Sundance Phone System Forums - VOIP & Cloud Phone Help
©Copyright Sundance Communications 1998-2024