Business Phone Systems

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
sritmgr Offline OP
OP Offline
KVT Voice Mail Manager service does not start when I reboot the voice mail PC. When I run the Voice Mail Viewer, the message "Connecting to Voice Mail Viewer..." will remain in the program window, but it will not connect and the voice mail ports do not show idle (or anything). If I use the Services console from the control panel to start the KVT Voice Mail Manager service, the service does not start nor produce an error. What I do is use the command prompt in the C:\VM directory and enter "stopvm.cmd" then "startvm.cmd". The system runs fine after I enter these commands. Does anyone know how I can get this service to start on reboot?

I am running Interchange 12.0 on a Windows 2000 PC.

The following services are set to automatic:
--------------------------------------------
Brooktrout Initialization Service. RhtInit
KVT Audiogen Service
KVT Database Manager
KVT Email Delivery
KVT Navigator
KVT Voice Mail Manager

All of the services above start on reboot execpt KVT Voice Mail Manager.

The following services are set to manual:
-----------------------------------------
GammaLink System Service
KVT FTP Server

The following service is set to disabled:
KVT SendmailService

Atcom VoIP Phones
VoIP Demo

Best VoIP Phones Canada

Visit Atcom to get started with your new business VoIP phone system ASAP
Turn up is quick, painless, and can often be done same day.
Let us show you how to do VoIP right, resulting in crystal clear call quality and easy-to-use features that make everyone happy!
Proudly serving Canada from coast to coast.

Moderator-Comdial, ESI, Voicemail, Cisco
If you don't have an icon on your desktop for Services, right-click on My Computer, select Manage, then select Services and Applications, then double-click on Services. Find the service in question and see if it is set to Automatic or Manual. It sounds to me like it's set to manual. If you right-click on the service and select Properties, you can change the startup type to Automatic.

Leave the SendmailService Disabled. I think the FTP service should be set to Automatic. Unless you have fax boards in the system, you want to leave GammaLink Service set to Manual.

Go to a VM command prompt (C:\VM) and edit startvm.cmd. See what services are being started. You should see that the FTP service is being started. I think you will also see that the Gamma and maybe Sendmail are too, but you still want to leave those as-is.

sritmgr Offline OP
OP Offline
5years&counting: Thank you for your reply.

The KVT Voice Mail Manager was set to automatic.

Below, I have included the services that I believe are used by Interchange and how they are set (automatic, manual, or disbled) in the Services management console.

The following services are set to automatic:
--------------------------------------------
Brooktrout Initialization Service. RhtInit
KVT Audiogen Service
KVT Database Manager
KVT Email Delivery
KVT Navigator
KVT Voice Mail Manager

All of the services above start on reboot execpt KVT Voice Mail Manager.

The following services are set to manual:
GammaLink System Service
KVT FTP Server

The following service is set to disabled:
KVT SendmailService

The problem is that even though the KVT Voice Mail Manager service to automatic, it does not start on reboot. It also does not start when I click on the "Start" button in the "KVT Voice Mail Manager Properties" dialog window from the Services console.

KVT SendmailService is disabled; the GammaLink System Service and the KVT FTP Server are set to manual as you have suggested.

I thought that perhaps the services are starting up in the wrong order and maybe the KVT Voice Mail Manager service has a dependency on another service. But that does not explain why I can't start it by clicking on the "start" button in the Services console.

The contents of c:\vm\startvm.cmd are:
--------------------------------------
net start Dialogic
rem net start Gammafax
net start Sendmail
net start "KVT Navigator"
net start RenderingEngine
net start "KVT FTP Server"
net start kvDBserver
net start VMservice
net start PECservice

I do appreciate any ideas.

Admin
Admin
Is this a new install or a rebuild?

[Linked Image]
sritmgr Offline OP
OP Offline
The new system was installed in September 2005. Since reboots did not occur often, I did not notice it right away. I noticed the problem in November after a Windows update that required a reboot.

sounds like a little curroption.

I would take the system down. Then go in and run c:\vm\scandbnt /d to see if it helps clean up a few things.

The restart.

I wonder if the services ARE starting out of order. Wasn't there a bulletin about this, describing how you need to delete the STARTVM.CMD and STOPVM.CMD in the VM directory, and then copy the ones from the Brooktrout folder? Maybe this doesn't apply here, or maybe that's already been done on this one, but it came to mind.

If you are using Rhetorix boards the above listed STARTVM you show at the bottom of your last post is trying to start with dialogic drivers instead of rhetorix. If that is the case then you need to do what 5 years is saying in his post.

sritmgr Offline OP
OP Offline
BIGDOG3c: I followed your instructions above and it made a difference. There were dozens of lines that contained:

Read box 9999 ( NONE-box)... deleted.

I do not know how the corruption occured.

Now the "KVT Voice Mail Manager" service remains started. Now the only problem is that "KVT Navigator" shows "Stopping" under the status in the Services console.

But instead of having to use "stopvm.cmd" and "startvm.cmd", all I have to do is use the Services console and click on the "Start" button to restart the "KVT Navigator" service. It appears that this service is attempting to start on restart, but for some reason stops it self.

-------------------------------------------------

5years&counting: The contents of c:\VM\startvm.cmd is:

net start Dialogic
rem net start Gammafax
net start Sendmail
net start "KVT Navigator"
net start RenderingEngine
net start kvDBserver
net start VMservice
net start PECservice

The contents of c:\VM\BrookTrout\startvm.cmd is:

net start "KVT Report Service"
net start RhtInit
net start Gammafax
net start kvDBserver
net start VMservice
net start PECservice

Does the system use c:\VM\startvm.cmd to start the services or is the start up of Interchange's services determined by there entries in the Windows registry?

sritmgr Offline OP
OP Offline
5years&counting & Dlr920: I renamed the c:\VM\Startvm.cmd to c:\VM\OldStartvm.cmd. I renamed c:\VM\Stopvm.cmd to c:\VM\OldStopvm.cmd. I copied the versions from the Brooktrout subdirectory to the VM directory. Finally, I rebooted.

The results were unchanged. "KVT Navigator" shows "Stopping" under the status in the Services console and then finally it stops. I click on the "Start" button and then I am able to connect in the "Voice Mail Viewer".

I am leaving the Brooktrout versions of the cmd files in the VM directory as you recommend.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  5years&counting 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Statistics
Forums84
Topics94,305
Posts638,893
Members49,771
Most Online5,661
May 23rd, 2018
Popular Topics(Views)
212,855 Shoretel
189,969 CTX100 install
188,077 1a2 system
Newest Members
Mansour, Dave Simmons, Soulece, Robbks, A2A Networks
49,770 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
Toner 17
teleco 7
dexman 6
jsaad 5
dans 5
Who's Online Now
1 members (justbill), 93 guests, and 56 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Contact Us | Sponsored by Atcom: One of the best VoIP Phone Canada Suppliers for your business telephone system!| Terms of Service

Sundance Communications is not affiliated with any of the above manufacturers. Sundance Phone System Forums - VOIP & Cloud Phone Help
©Copyright Sundance Communications 1998-2024