web statisticsweb stats

Business Phone Systems

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
To me, a trunk usually refers to a single channel of service (and we can drill down further to hairsplit between a line and a trunk).

A Supertrunk is indeed carried over a DS1 facility. One of the key differences is that all lines will ID to the same BTN or LDN. In other words, whether you call out on the 7th channel or the 23rd channel, the called party will always receive the same telephone number.

That's what the "TER" thing refers to. Back in the day I don't think they called it a Supertrunk...but maybe they did. Anyway, it was always identified by a main telephone number followed by TER 1, TER 2, TER 3, etc. "TER" was short for TERMINATION point, or something like that.

So "213-555-1212 TER 5" referred to said circuit, fifth channel.

"Press play and record at the same time" -- Tim Alberstein
Atcom VoIP Phones
VoIP Demo

Best VoIP Phones Canada

Visit Atcom to get started with your new business VoIP phone system ASAP
Turn up is quick, painless, and can often be done same day.
Let us show you how to do VoIP right, resulting in crystal clear call quality and easy-to-use features that make everyone happy!
Proudly serving Canada from coast to coast.

RIP Admin-Founder
RIP Admin-Founder
Trunk:
[Linked Image from wwwdelivery.superstock.com]

Super Trunk:

[Linked Image from bucksworld.net]

Moderator-Avaya
Moderator-Avaya
Your one sick cookie "test-ok"..........................LOL.
:rofl: :rofl:

Avaya SMB Authorized Business Partner. ACIS/APSS
ESI Certified Reseller/Installer
www.regal-comm.com
I thought it was the part of a car that people work out of?

Jeff Moss

Moss Communications
Computer Repair-Networking-Cabling
MBSWWYPBX, JGAE
Originally posted by dagwoodsystems:
To me, a trunk usually refers to a single channel of service (and we can drill down further to hairsplit between a line and a trunk).

A Supertrunk is indeed carried over a DS1 facility. One of the key differences is that all lines will ID to the same BTN or LDN. In other words, whether you call out on the 7th channel or the 23rd channel, the called party will always receive the same telephone number.

That's what the "TER" thing refers to. Back in the day I don't think they called it a Supertrunk...but maybe they did. Anyway, it was always identified by a main telephone number followed by TER 1, TER 2, TER 3, etc. "TER" was short for TERMINATION point, or something like that.

So "213-555-1212 TER 5" referred to said circuit, fifth channel.
I see TER 1, TER 2, etc. associated with terminal hunt groups, where the outbound Caller ID is the same for all lines. These are delivered via standard POTS lines, not DS1.

The first line is the actual WTN, the terminal number starts after that. So TER 1 is really the second line. To report trouble on the fifth line, you need to reference TER 4.

RIP Moderator-Mitel, Panasonic
RIP Moderator-Mitel, Panasonic
And it helps if Term 5 is the same at both ends. After 10 years or so of cable damage, reroutes, replacements, etc, there are usually 2 or more mis-labeled! Been there, Seen that!

When I was young, I was Liberal. As I aged and wised up, I became Conservative. Now that I'm old, I have settled on Curmudgeon.
I think we're still missing a basic definition here...the OP asked to define both terms, Trunk and Supertrunk.

First, a trunk is a connection between two pieces of switching equipment, as opposed to a "Line" which is a connection between a switch and a piece of terminal equipment (telephone, RAN, answering device, etc.) A trunk can be digital or analog, copper or fiber.

The only times I have seen the term "Supertrunk" used, it has referred to a T1 (Not PRI) with AMI framing. I've seen them in AT&T literature, as well as in sales proposals from (now defunct, I think) US-LEC.

Dylan. SATUBAW (Some American techs use BIX as well)!
OP Offline
Thank you all...I appreciate your input!

Does anyone know how (short of going to work for a telco company) how I can self-study and learn more about the topic of telcom??? Are there any decent (and accurate) books on the subject???

Ed

Moderator-Mobil Phones, Computers
Moderator-Mobil Phones, Computers
You can start here. They've got a lot of telcom specific stuff.

https://www.teracomtraining.com

Pick up a current Edition of NEWTON's TELECOM DICTIONARY. I have the 14th edition and it is dated March 1998

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  MooreTel 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Statistics
Forums84
Topics94,291
Posts638,815
Members49,767
Most Online5,661
May 23rd, 2018
Popular Topics(Views)
212,413 Shoretel
189,170 CTX100 install
187,428 1a2 system
Newest Members
Robbks, A2A Networks, James D., Nadisale, andreww
49,767 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
Toner 26
teleco 6
dexman 5
jsaad 4
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 112 guests, and 425 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Contact Us | Sponsored by Atcom: One of the best VoIP Phone Canada Suppliers for your business telephone system!| Terms of Service

Sundance Communications is not affiliated with any of the above manufacturers. Sundance Phone System Forums - VOIP & Cloud Phone Help
©Copyright Sundance Communications 1998-2024