Business Phone Systems

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
#261710 01/06/09 10:55 AM
drmm Offline OP
OP Offline
we have calix unit being fed by gr-303 out of a stromberg dco all of the customers have 3 short ring and then a pause when ppeople call them i have not been able to find if this is the way it is suppose to ring or can it be changed???

Atcom VoIP Phones
VoIP Demo

Best VoIP Phones Canada

Visit Atcom to get started with your new business VoIP phone system ASAP
Turn up is quick, painless, and can often be done same day.
Let us show you how to do VoIP right, resulting in crystal clear call quality and easy-to-use features that make everyone happy!
Proudly serving Canada from coast to coast.

#261711 01/06/09 11:05 AM
Would think this would better fit Telephone service. Not sure what it has to do with T1's.

Retired phone dude
#261712 01/06/09 02:47 PM
Moderator-1A2, Cabling
Moderator-1A2, Cabling
GR303 is a carrier connection (6 T-1s?) from a CO Switch to a Digital Loop concentrators main terminal. There are then additional carrier connections (4 T-1s?) to each Remote Terminal.

Two short rings and a pause are European style ringing. I'm not sure about 3 & a pause. Some switches and or concentrators are wired for European Ringing. They can often be changed to standard American Ringing.

Sam

"Where are we going and why are we in this hand basket?"
#261713 01/07/09 10:50 AM
drmm,
Do you have the part number of the Gr-303 interface card on the Calix shelf handy? ... I should be able to look up if there's a provisionable option in it.

Honestly I think the ringing format would come from the S/C DCO… Unfortunately I don’t know much about those and we don’t have anyone around here to ask either. I would have translations re-check how the host switch-mod is configured first thing.

I CAN for sure that’s NOT normal for Calix. It’s perfectly capable of 2 on 4 off ringing. Been there done that.

-----------------------
Bryan
LEC Provisioning Engineer
Cars -n- Guitars Racin' (retired racer Oct.'07)
#261714 01/07/09 06:11 PM
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
Two short rings and a pause are European style ringing. I'm not sure about 3 & a pause. Some switches and or concentrators are wired for European Ringing. They can often be changed to standard American Ringing.

Out here in Verizon-land where the majority of CO Switches are 5ESS or DMS 100's the long-short-long ring is used for a derived line (Identa Ring) service where you have a 2nd or a 3rd telephone number directed toward the same physical POTS line. The ringing pattern has to come from the digital switch

GR303 is a carrier connection (6 T-1s?) from a CO Switch to a Digital Loop concentrators main terminal. There are then additional carrier connections (4 T-1s?) to each Remote Terminal.

I had to look this one up, but it comes back to me now and it is basically as Silversam says: we had to run 6-8 T1 lines (Groom?) into a CAC (Carrier Access Corporation) Navigator and then run any number of drop T1 lines to the facilities that fed a CAC Access 600 (usually 1 or 2 each Access 600) or something similar. Two of the Groom T1's had to be used for timing if memory serves me correctly and they had to go on specific ports. Each Navigator had to have its own identity somehow. Software cross connects were done inside the Navigator from the GR303 ports to the T1 DS0's that fed the outside world............been a while since I have fooled with one of those. I am not familiar with the Calix unit at all, but it sounds similar to the Navigator which is definitely T1 based.

#261715 01/08/09 05:59 AM
Originally posted by zapatogrande:
I am not familiar with the Calix unit at all, but it sounds similar to the Navigator which is definitely T1 based.
I'm not so sure that comparing Navigator and Calix is a fair comparison. The basics on how GR-303 groups are built are the same I’m sure, but Calix is a full-blown NGDLC system. It will take the GR-303 links over copper (t1’s) or fiber (inband T1’s) and does all the multiplexing internally. The pseudo-LENS (aka OE) are then built as CRV’s (call reference values) there within the Calix to specific ports and dropped out often to ADSL2+ cards. (DSLAM+POTS combination function.)

But weather it be distinctive ring or European ringing I still think it’s more than likely coming from the S/C DCO.

-----------------------
Bryan
LEC Provisioning Engineer
Cars -n- Guitars Racin' (retired racer Oct.'07)
#261716 01/24/09 06:37 AM
is this a pots/dsl type line or gpon/bpon (fiber to the home) type device thats sitting on the side of the house? there c7 shelf product that sits in the CO can deliver both adsl+2 and gpon/bpon out of the same shelf system. there f5 product that sits in the CO does all fiber to the home. in my experience we run all calix gear in our projects is that at times you see weird things happen when the shelf is not grounded and or you just have a bad module just swapping the ont's or cards will solve the problem. got to love RMA smile

Race Communications | http://www.race.com

Moderated by  Silversam 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Statistics
Forums84
Topics94,283
Posts638,765
Members49,764
Most Online5,661
May 23rd, 2018
Popular Topics(Views)
211,446 Shoretel
188,305 CTX100 install
187,082 1a2 system
Newest Members
Nadisale, andreww, gohunt, Darrick, telecopippo
49,764 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
Toner 23
teleco 7
dexman 4
jc2it 4
Who's Online Now
2 members (aweaver, Professor Shadow), 160 guests, and 284 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Contact Us | Sponsored by Atcom: One of the best VoIP Phone Canada Suppliers for your business telephone system!| Terms of Service

Sundance Communications is not affiliated with any of the above manufacturers. Sundance Phone System Forums - VOIP & Cloud Phone Help
©Copyright Sundance Communications 1998-2024