web statisticsweb stats Business Phone Systems Tech Talk Forum - VOIP & Cloud Phone Help

Business Phone Systems

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
OP Offline
Hello everyone,

I apologize, but i am just starting school and learning IT stuff and haven't hit the T1 info yet. However, the company I work for is expanding into a new building and I know more about computers than any of them (imagine that lol)and I have a meeting next week w/ the people installing the new phone and network equipment.

I was wondering if someone had the time to explain to me how exactly a T1 works. I know that the plan is to get a T1 line with roughly 100 DID's, (that's basically the total amount of direct phone numbers right?) and the T1 will be used for both internet and phones so we are looking at VOIP (I think).

So if I understand this correctly, we have to choose the # of lines that will be dedicated to the phone system and the rest will go to the internet and that is out of the 24 possible lines that can be used at one time from a T1 line right? I believe as of this moment we are anticipating up to 10 people on the phone at one time, we are not a very large company.

Also, can faxes be sent through a T1 line and if so when receiving a fax that uses one of the 10 lines we selected to be set to the side for the VOIP?

Thank you soo much for taking the time to answer this. I am just trying to ensure I'm on the right track before the meeting I have to go to next week. Best wishes!

Atcom VoIP Phones
VoIP Demo

Best VoIP Phones Canada

Visit Atcom to get started with your new business VoIP phone system ASAP
Turn up is quick, painless, and can often be done same day.
Let us show you how to do VoIP right, resulting in crystal clear call quality and easy-to-use features that make everyone happy!
Proudly serving Canada from coast to coast.

Moderator-1A2, Cabling
Moderator-1A2, Cabling
You're really asking quite a bit.

A T-1 is a 4 wire (2 pair) digital line with a bandwidth of 1.544 mbs consisting of 24, 64Kbs channels. You can use all or some of these channels for Voice or Data. You could, for example use 12 channels for voice and 768KBS for Data services.

How many channels you choose for voice and how many for data is between you and your carrier. Remember - there are outgoing as well as incoming calls and all must be addressed.

Faxes can be sent over a T-1 and when you are sending and/or receiving a fax it takes up one of the channels.

I would suggest you pick up a copy of Bill Flanagan's book: A Guide to T-1 Networking. It's old but it's got a lot of good information in it. It will NOT tell you how to install, or repair T-1s but it WILL tell you how they work. You can find it on Amazon:
https://www.amazon.com/Guide-T-1-Ne...mp;s=books&qid=1263596394&sr=8-1

Sam

"Where are we going and why are we in this hand basket?"

[Linked Image from phototiki.com]
Until we know what you are getting, we can't give you a lot of information. As was mentioned above, a T1 is 24 channels on a digital circuit... but are you really getting a full T1 or are you getting integrated access or are you getting a PRI?

You also mentioned VoIP, but are your getting a VoIP phone system or are you getting SIP trunks from an ITSP?

You have your work cut out for you. I'm very sure that everyone here will help as much as possible, but your question might be akin to explaining the details of GRE over a VPN and how all that works with TCP/IP to a noob.

I'm not being smug...just letting you know that many often mistake the voice world as a bit more simplistic that it truly is.

"Press play and record at the same time" -- Tim Alberstein
Moderator-Vodavi, Vertical, XBlue
Moderator-Vodavi, Vertical, XBlue
A less technical answer may help you get started. To use both voice and data on a T-1 you need an integrated T-1. In your case, 10 channels would be dedicated to voice and the remaining bandwidth will be your data. However, you may prefer a PRI. PRI delivers name & number but a T-1 can deliver number only. PRI uses the last channel for its data so 64K will be unavailable for V/D. A fax line can work over a T-1/PRI but many providers push a dynamic T-1 and faxes are unreliable on them. A dynamic T-1 is VoIP but does not require a VoIP system. SIP trunks do require a system with VoIP cards but does not necessarily have to be a 100% VoIP system.

- Dave S. -

You can never appease your ideologue opponents.

Here's a great thread to expand your confusion:

https://www.sundance-communications.com/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?/ubb/get_topic/f/17/t/000193/p/1.html

Good luck. :toast:

OP Offline
Wow you guys are great! Thanks for getting back to me. I know this is all well above my head and appreciate you guys taking the time to give me some feedback.

I know that our phone system is going to be a VOIP system, what all that entails I can't tell you as of yet. I'm still waiting to have the meeting to get more specifics.

Our original plan was to have 10voice lines and the rest of the T1 to be given for the internet, however as of this morning they want to change the T1 to have 13 voice lines and the rest to the internet, it is logical to assume that the internet speed will drop once this decision is made correct?

How do I tell if I am getting a full T1 or an integrated one? I'd like to assume that we are getting a full T1, does getting an integrated one slow down the speed? The building is being constructed as we speak, which is why I'm assuming that the line we are getting will be a full T1.

I wish they wouldn't have ignored my request to be included in the meeting last week. I could have provided you guys with more information.

Just so you know, I am not installing the T1 (I'm sure several of you just cheered lol) I am just the internal network person (minus the education, hense why I'm going to school). I just needed an over view of T1's so I could be a bit more prepared when I do finally get to meet with the people installing the equipment.

Thanks again for all of your help!!

If you're dealing with a traditional TDM setup, then you will have to delete channels of bandwidth to add channels of voice.

If you are dealing with a VoIP T1, then it could be a full T1 of Internet; when a phone call is made, the bandwidth is dynamically assigned to the phone call. The Internet would slow down some, and then pick back up once the phone call is complete.

Your service provider would have to tell you if it is a TDM or VoIP T1.

Moderator-1A2, Cabling
Moderator-1A2, Cabling
Originally posted by Just getting started:

Our original plan was to have 10voice lines and the rest of the T1 to be given for the internet, however as of this morning they want to change the T1 to have 13 voice lines and the rest to the internet, it is logical to assume that the internet speed will drop once this decision is made correct?
If you will be using 13 channels for voice then that leaves you 11 channels for data.

11 x 64kbs = 704kbs

That's the maximum you'll have, unless they do some dynamic allocation (turning on voice channels as required and throttling the data side up or down).

Sam

"Where are we going and why are we in this hand basket?"
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Silversam 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Statistics
Forums84
Topics94,262
Posts638,697
Members49,757
Most Online5,661
May 23rd, 2018
Popular Topics(Views)
211,098 Shoretel
187,712 CTX100 install
186,796 1a2 system
Newest Members
BPopilek, Rich F, LewisR, TDKs79, Buttinset
49,757 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
dexman 18
Toner 11
TDKs79 8
pvj 4
Who's Online Now
2 members (hitechcomm, nortelvoip), 189 guests, and 247 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Contact Us | Sponsored by Atcom: One of the best VoIP Phone Canada Suppliers for your business telephone system!| Terms of Service

Sundance Communications is not affiliated with any of the above manufacturers. Sundance Phone System Forums - VOIP & Cloud Phone Help
©Copyright Sundance Communications 1998-2024