web statisticsweb stats Business Phone Systems Tech Talk Forum - VOIP & Cloud Phone Help

Business Phone Systems

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
OP Offline
Hello Everyone, I have a question. A company has asked me to wire there new T1 installation from the grey box outside to the Cisco router inside. I am very familiar with LAN networking, but lack the teleco knowledge for this wiring. The T1 box appears to have 2 sets of 8 wire connected. And according to the paperwork, they going to use line 1. I didn't see offhand a RJ48 type recepticle in the gray box. So what would be the best way to wire from outside to inside? I did see they supplied 1 RJ48 connector with rubber inserts for wires 1,2,4 and 5. I should be able to wire to the posts outside using cat 5 (under 100ft) to the RJ48 correct?

Or do I need to supply more info for better assistance? And is there a specific wire number scheme on the outside? (ie...top row from left to right is 1-4.., then 5-8 for bottom row, plus there is another set of 8 wires below that won't be used)

thanks everyone, any help would be great.

Atcom VoIP Phones
VoIP Demo

Best VoIP Phones Canada

Visit Atcom to get started with your new business VoIP phone system ASAP
Turn up is quick, painless, and can often be done same day.
Let us show you how to do VoIP right, resulting in crystal clear call quality and easy-to-use features that make everyone happy!
Proudly serving Canada from coast to coast.

Moderator-1A2, Cabling
Moderator-1A2, Cabling
I'm not really visualizing the box you're talking about, but 1,2,4,5 is the pin out for an RJ 48X. (2,1 = Receive T&R; 5,4 =Transmit T&R)

I never liked using Cat5 for anything over 40' and usually preferred not to use it all for anything but perhaps a patch cord. If it's under 100' you could try it. Do you have a T-1 test set (Sunset, T-Berd etc) to verify that your run is good and not taking any errors?

For a run like this I would recommend 2 runs of shielded Cat 3, with one pair from one cable supplying the Transmit pair and one pair from the other cable supplying the receive.

Sam

"Where are we going and why are we in this hand basket?"
OP Offline
The T1 box outside has a closed off side (left) and 8 lines coming from it and connecting on the right (with RJ48)each of the 8 connections has a post to screw wire onto. And there are 2 of these 8 wire setups installed in the box.

From what I am reading, alot of times this is wired to a smart jack box. Where then I would just plug the supplied grey cable from it to the Cisco router. But this person opted to do his own inside wiring and doesnt have anything but the outside T1 box. And I wanted to help him out with this.

I understand about running the 2 CAT 3 cables. Would I then run that to say a punch down block. From there, whats the best way to run it to the router? just a short patch cable with a punch down lines on one end, and the RJ48 connector on the router side?

And no, i do not have a T1 test kit.

Whew… Like Sam I’m really having difficulty getting a visial image of what you’re working with… I had to break your post down in bites to see what I could come up with for assistance.

A company has asked me to wire there new T1 installation from the grey box outside to the Cisco router inside.

Demarc extension, groovy… We can do that ‘round here. …. “Grey box outside” where the entrance cables from the Telco terminate, just to be sure we’re talking about the same thing.

The T1 box appears to have 2 sets of 8 wire connected. And according to the paperwork, they going to use line 1.

“T1 box.” The Network Interface Device (NID … or aka Smart Jack) …. Two sets of eight wires connected? … Ummm, from/to where are the 2 sets of wires connected?

“Line 1?” Is this thing look like it’s a two-slot housing, that could terminate 2 T1’s?

I didn't see offhand a RJ48 type recepticle in the gray box. So what would be the best way to wire from outside to inside? I did see they supplied 1 RJ48 connector with rubber inserts for wires 1,2,4 and 5.

Whuh? …. You said there was a “T1 box” a SmartJack, right?… The RJ-48 (x or c) “should” be on the bottom side of THAT, not in the “grey box.”

I should be able to wire to the posts outside using cat 5 (under 100ft) to the RJ48 correct?

If you NEED to yes. Cat5 will work. … I’d like two Cat 3 shieldeds like Sam said but under 100 ft, Cat 5 should do fine.

Or do I need to supply more info for better assistance?

Yeah, me thinks so… but see what you think after you read all this! LOL

And is there a specific wire number scheme on the outside? (ie...top row from left to right is 1-4.., then 5-8 for bottom row, plus there is another set of 8 wires below that won't be used)

I’m puzzled even to what you’re looking at with this….

-----------------------
Bryan
LEC Provisioning Engineer
Cars -n- Guitars Racin' (retired racer Oct.'07)
Originally posted by crawfishdaddy:
The T1 box outside has a closed off side (left) and 8 lines coming from it and connecting on the right (with RJ48)each of the 8 connections has a post to screw wire onto. And there are 2 of these 8 wire setups installed in the box.

From what I am reading, alot of times this is wired to a smart jack box. Where then I would just plug the supplied grey cable from it to the Cisco router. But this person opted to do his own inside wiring and doesnt have anything but the outside T1 box. And I wanted to help him out with this.

I understand about running the 2 CAT 3 cables. Would I then run that to say a punch down block. From there, whats the best way to run it to the router? just a short patch cable with a punch down lines on one end, and the RJ48 connector on the router side?

And no, i do not have a T1 test kit.
Ahhhhh are you interchanging the term "t1 box" and "grey box outside" ... With that decription now, most everyone out here knows what you’re talkin’ ‘bout.

-----------------------
Bryan
LEC Provisioning Engineer
Cars -n- Guitars Racin' (retired racer Oct.'07)
OP Offline
Sorry for all the confusion. I just do not know some of the proper terms for this equiptment. But I have been researching. lol.

The "Grey Box" or "T1 box" as I called them is the T1 demarc. as in the picture here.

Picture is not actual photo, just one I found that looks to be really close. But now i see how my explanation was not really exact..lol. I was working from memory. which isnt too good i quess.

[Linked Image from jeepxj.com]

So whats the best way to get from here...to the router? I do appreciate you guys putting up with me for sure..LOL.

Does your NID look like this?

[Linked Image from cdn.content.compendiumblog.com]

[Linked Image from cdn.content.compendiumblog.com]

Moderator-Nortel, Computers, General
Moderator-Nortel, Computers, General
Marc, I hope that it looks BETTER than that....pretty sloppy IMO.

Scientists say that the universe is made up of Protons, Neutron & Electrons. They forgot "Morons".
Dave. (CTUB) Canadian Techs Use Bix!
OP Offline
yes, your NID is pretty much what his box looks like. only difference is the right side looks more like the picture I posted. which could just be a newer box i recon. But I will have to take anothe look in the morning to be sure. Now that you guys have given me more information to work with.

Moderator-Vertical, Vodavi, 1A2, Outside Wire
Moderator-Vertical, Vodavi, 1A2, Outside Wire
Marc:

I'm sure that is the NIS that the OP has. Those are pretty much the norm these days.

Crawfish:

Just wire the distant jack at the router as 568B and connect the white/blue of your cable to the red/green terminals. Connect the white/orange to black/yellow pairs as shown in the above pic. As long as the cable run is under 100 feet or so, there will be no issues.

Ed Vaughn, MBSWWYPBX
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  Silversam 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Statistics
Forums84
Topics94,262
Posts638,693
Members49,757
Most Online5,661
May 23rd, 2018
Popular Topics(Views)
211,098 Shoretel
187,703 CTX100 install
186,792 1a2 system
Newest Members
BPopilek, Rich F, LewisR, TDKs79, Buttinset
49,757 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
dexman 18
Toner 14
TDKs79 8
Who's Online Now
1 members (Curlycord), 103 guests, and 246 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Contact Us | Sponsored by Atcom: One of the best VoIP Phone Canada Suppliers for your business telephone system!| Terms of Service

Sundance Communications is not affiliated with any of the above manufacturers. Sundance Phone System Forums - VOIP & Cloud Phone Help
©Copyright Sundance Communications 1998-2024