Phone Systems

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
two wire vs four wire
#26235 09/16/11 06:40 AM
OP Offline
Here is a question that has been nagging me lately. What is the difference (besides the obvious) between a two wire phone circuit and a four wire phone circuit? I cannot imagine four wires going from the subscriber to the CO.

Just showing my relative ignorance on the subject of telephony.

Best,

Joe

Real comms took 200lb teletypes, hand keys, sounders, operators and cranked phones!
Refurbished Phones & Equipment Search
Re: two wire vs four wire
#26236 09/16/11 07:07 AM
Moderator-Vertical, Vodavi, 1A2, Outside Wire
Moderator-Vertical, Vodavi, 1A2, Outside Wire
Special circuits, such at T1s used to be two separate pairs,one for transmit and one for receive. This is not usually the case anymore as newer HDSL technology allows them to be combined on one pair. At the customer's premises, they are still broken out into separate transmit and receive circuits.

Four wire circuits were also used for voice in foreign exchange environments where a telephone number may be coming from a distant CO in another city or even another state. Again, with today's digital technology, this isn't a requirement anymore. Back in the day, transmit and receive were kept separate in order to overcome longer distances than possible with a traditional two wire loop.

Ed Vaughn, MBSWWYPBX
#26237 09/16/11 07:34 AM
Moderator-1A2, Cabling
Moderator-1A2, Cabling
The telephone set is actually a 4 wire device (look at your handset) 2 wires for transmit and 2 for receive. To save cable in the Outside Plant there is a hybrid circuit in the phone to convert 4 wire to 2 wire.

Four wire provides better transmission and reception. Like Ed said, standard T-1s are 4 wire. Tie lines (connections between two switches) used to come in two flavors in the Analog days - 2 wire and 4 wire (E&M).

T-3s, and all fiber connections, while only 2 wire/strand are still transmit & receive and NOT Tip & Ring.

The old US Military Autovon system used 4 wire telephone sets for better (and more secure) communications.

To sum up, 4 wire is better then 2 wire, but it's more expensive and as a result is used much less often.

Sam

"Where are we going and why are we in this hand basket?"
#26238 09/18/11 08:20 PM
It's important to know from a technical side as hybrid circuits (4-wire to 2-wire conversions) can introduce echo.

And I agree with Sam that 4-wire is better than 2-wire...if nothing more than troubleshooting purposes.

"I think there is a world market for maybe five computers.", Thomas Watson, chairman of IBM (1943)
#26239 09/19/11 06:26 PM
There's still a lot of stuff riding on 4-wire designs, and I, for one am happy that that's the case.

While most of T-1s and 56/64K circuits are designed as a single pair nowadays (distance permitting)it never seizes to amaze me how many old and not-so-old analog and tie lines are still around, most of them with separate T and R pairs.

A lot of folks love converting 4-wire circuits to 2-wire ones, whenever possible. I never do. Truth be told, I've done the exact opposite on many occasions.

While I don't have the mileage required to confidently state that two-pair designs are better, I will state that I do like them better.

My $0.02 only...

"...Time moves slowly and it goes so fast..."

(Sandy Denny)

Moderated by  MooreTel, Professor Shadow, skip555 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Search
Most Recent 5 Post
Limiting trunk access
by Bushmills - 06/01/20 06:10 PM
Phone in DCS Operator Group doesn't ring
by Keyset6 - 06/01/20 12:07 PM
NS1000 RENUMBER 600 and IDC GROUPS
by ronaldjamesh - 05/31/20 11:54 AM
Spam Canned Meat Varieties
by dexman - 05/30/20 01:37 AM
Partner ACS T1 module setup
by ChrisRR - 05/29/20 08:32 PM
Who's Online Now
38 members (ImNotThePhoneGuy, Curlycord, Touch Tone Tommy, BobRobert, teleco, jkmartin, Bushmills, Keyset6, tylan, dexman, justbill, dans, hbiss, KRRath, seafort, backspace, Professor Shadow, Arthur P. Bloom, BTS01, newtecky, mike b, Daniel, Yucca Telecom, jknichols, gelehu, Biztel Cuban Okie Tech, iatech3800, Yoda, ILE, vicbob, nameless, Skunky, metelcom, MooreTel, nortelvoip, phonemeister, Mercenary Roadie, hitechcomm), 428 guests, and 39 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Popular Topics (Views)
Forum Statistics
Forums94
Topics93,731
Posts635,918
Members49,292
Most Online5,661
May 23rd, 2018
Today's Birthdays
Allen Carter, hwong, It Department, kitecomms, spider
Newest Members
swoodsNI, B. Endsley, Abner Dawes, Gringo, Jeffrey Cohen
49292 Registered Users
Get Tech Support Now! Click the banner below
Get Tech Support Now!
EMP & Lightning Home Surge Protection
EMP - Click Here!
Top Posters (30 Days)
dexman 21
Bob-o 11
hbiss 10
Bluewater Sailing
https://www.patreon.com/bePatron?u=5256033
EMP Shield for Commercial - Home & Vehicle
Use Coupon code SAVE - Click Here!
Servpro Ventura 24-Hour Emergency Service
Free Estimates call us now 24Hours
Contact Us | Telephone System Tech Support | Terms of Service

Sundance Communications is not affiliated with any of the above manufacturers.
©Copyright Sundance Communications 1998-2020
Trusted Partners