web statisticsweb stats

Business Phone Systems

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
#263485 02/15/07 04:36 AM
OP Offline
I am a help desk technician at an accounting firm with approx. 250 users and 4 remote offices. We have auditors that take their laptops out to their audit clients' offices. Many times, when they return, their laptops have to be added back to domain when no network settings have been changed. We just right click my computer as normal and remove the .local off of the domainname.local. That works every time, but we should not have to do this time after time.

Another major issue that is related, is that when the 90 day network password limit runs out, they login and then system prompts them to change password. once they have changed their password and click OK to save, they get a message that says, "Your password could not be changed because the domain, domainname.local, could not be found." They call us in support, we change password through active directory and all is well. we are running Win 2k3 Server Environment, with Symantec Corporate SAV 10.1.5.5000. Users are all running WinXP SP2.

Any ideas would be appreciated!

Atcom VoIP Phones
VoIP Demo

Best VoIP Phones Canada

Visit Atcom to get started with your new business VoIP phone system ASAP
Turn up is quick, painless, and can often be done same day.
Let us show you how to do VoIP right, resulting in crystal clear call quality and easy-to-use features that make everyone happy!
Proudly serving Canada from coast to coast.

When they take them offsite and login are they trying to log into the domain that isn't connected or are they logging into the local machine? And are you using roaming profiles?
I will have to pull a laptop and test it here to see if I can create that problem, because I have never seen it.

Are all the laptops pointing to the server for DNS? Most domain issues are related to DNS being misconfigured.

Any errors in the event logs, both server or workstation?

Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
I have run into this with computers that NEVER leave the office. 99% of the time If I remove that computer account from AD, then re-add that computer using the "Network ID" option instead of just changing from a workgroup to a domain, it sticks.

Definitely sounds like a DNS configuration issue. Are you using DHCP to dole out IP info, including DNS settings? Could it be that the domain suffix isn't specified in these settings from DHCP? That might explain why bringing them back to the office could cause DNS issues when they refresh their IP configurtion on the local network.

Sometimes you carpe diem, sometimes your diem gets carped.
OP Offline
Yes, IP and DNS are DHCP. what do you mean by domain suffix not specified in settings from DHCP?

Still adjusting back to the Data world....

In Microsoft DHCP it is a scope setting called domain name. Same for DHCP on Cisco routers. I was just wondering if the client is confused by not having an appropriate domain name suffix attached to its IP configuration. This can also be set manually in a Windows IP configutation by specifying "DNS Suffix" in the DNS section of the settings.

I haven't run into this issue specifically, but it does sound like a DNS issue or an issue with Active Directory, which of course depends on DNS.

Sometimes you carpe diem, sometimes your diem gets carped.
Win2k3 And active directory always assume that the main Win2k3 server is also the DNS server for all clients, and also the DHCP server, in order to make sure that all clients get the right settings. In fact, I had a weird problem here in the office, where suddenly user logins were taking forever, and Outlook wouldn't authenticate at all. Turned out, that the DHCP in my router had been changed, and suddenly the DHCP leases refreshed, with the wrong info. So DNS and DHCP are essential to proper WIn2k3 doamin operation.. As stupid as it is.
Anyway, when the laptops go out the door, the DHCP info they recieve from whatever routers they happen to be behind at the time, no longer reflects the settings for the domain. Then as someone mentioned, the users are telling their laptops that they are still logging into the domain, but the computer can't find it, so it fakes it - the doamin.local thing.

All this stuff was so much simpler in NT! I'd still rather use NT, come to think of it!

Rob Cashman
Customer Support Engineer

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Statistics
Forums84
Topics94,291
Posts638,815
Members49,767
Most Online5,661
May 23rd, 2018
Popular Topics(Views)
212,380 Shoretel
189,085 CTX100 install
187,412 1a2 system
Newest Members
Robbks, A2A Networks, James D., Nadisale, andreww
49,767 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
Toner 26
teleco 7
dexman 5
jsaad 4
Who's Online Now
2 members (RATHER BE FISHING, ffej010), 125 guests, and 426 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Contact Us | Sponsored by Atcom: One of the best VoIP Phone Canada Suppliers for your business telephone system!| Terms of Service

Sundance Communications is not affiliated with any of the above manufacturers. Sundance Phone System Forums - VOIP & Cloud Phone Help
©Copyright Sundance Communications 1998-2024