web statisticsweb stats Business Phone Systems Tech Talk Forum - VOIP & Cloud Phone Help

Business Phone Systems

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
#264097 06/14/08 03:00 AM
OP Offline
We are looking at installing a wireless network at a big outdoor concert venue. We want to use pro grade stuff and make sure we have good coverage everywhere. Any recommendations on a supplier? It is a natural amphitheatre and the signal will start at the top of the site and then need to be repeated down into the facility. Right now they are using cisco lre's and that has been a problem because they move them or loose them and I think the system is headed south anyway(acts very flaky).

Shawn
Connect Telecom www.connecttelecom.us
In matters of style, swim with the current. In matters of principle, stand like a rock. Thomas Jefferson
Atcom VoIP Phones
VoIP Demo

Best VoIP Phones Canada

Visit Atcom to get started with your new business VoIP phone system ASAP
Turn up is quick, painless, and can often be done same day.
Let us show you how to do VoIP right, resulting in crystal clear call quality and easy-to-use features that make everyone happy!
Proudly serving Canada from coast to coast.

Take a look at this.

Are you talking point to point wireless between two nodes or are you talking about providing wifi to the concert audience? Cause one is easy, and the other will require an elaborate mesh wifi network for it to even REMOTELY work.

Since you mentioned LRE's, I think you just want point to point. I would just get some direction parabolic antenna's and point them at each other with WIFI bridges on the back side. These set-up's can shoot for miles and in a concert all you need is a line of sight.

Here's one i've used before: 27" Parabolic 2.4-2.5ghz Antenna 23db gain

If you are only going to have a couple hundred feet between antenna's then you should probably go with some cheaper. I've also used this one before with good luck: Small 2.4-2.5ghz Antenna 15db gain

In my limited experience with WIFI, the quality of the connection has always boiled down to the antenna and radio amplifier used. For the most part they have the radio amplifiers perfected but the sheer mass of crap antenna's floating around still boggles me.

As far as it being mobile that's easy. Take a 5-gallon bucket, a 2-foot piece of PVC, seal the bottom of the PVC with silicone to prevent leaks, then fill the bucket with concrete. You can drill the piece of PVC sticking out the top so you an put a set-pin in to keep the mast in place. If it needs to be sturdier you can always use sandbags or bolt the mast to some railing too. I'm sure it'd sway in the wind some but it would probably fit the bill for what you need.

Another method that is more sturdier but more of a PITA to move is using a 4'x4' piece of 3/4" plywood with a pipe flange bolted in the center and about 1-foot piece of pipe screwed on it. You then put eye-hooks in the 4 corners and use tension wires (with turn-buckles) that hook up to the mast about 2/3 of the way up. To weight it down against wind loading you can use cinder blocks or sand/water bags. The water bags are a nice idea cause you don't have to haul them up the stairs, just a long hose. smile

I know I probably sound like I have stock in Cisco but I can not tell you how impressed I am with the Cisco 4400 LWAPP controllers. In a nutshell the way it works is I have a bunch of APs out there setup and the controller is doing an LWAPP tunnel back to itself and controlling all aspects of the APs. The controllers uses APs to see other APs and compensates things like channel, signal strength, roaming etc. There is a software called WCS that you can use to control the controllers. You can also do a myriad of troubleshooting with WCS depending on the CCX level of your hardware. Use a predictor tool to setup your APs or better yet do a site survey with a variety of antennas. What is the objective public WiFI, IP telephony, LAN access? Are you planning on using b/g or A? Big antennas are great but they are only as good as the transmitter sending back to them (in most cases the wireless NIC in the workstation). When doing a site audit I determine what NICs are being used and base my audit points on whatever the lowest power/gain NIC is in the system. The controller will also tell you if you have coverage holes and loads of security things.

Here is a video and document for the controller.

https://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/ps6366/index.html

Here is a video and link for Cisco Wireless Control System (WCS)

https://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/ps7305/index.html

OP Offline
Kumba, I will try to explain better what we are shooting for...

Internet signal comes into phone room, goes into Lre controller, out over copper phone wire to LRE at various places onsite, usually into a hub so more than one computer can hook up( most of these have wireless built in so laptops can connect also) This is all so band management and production staff can connect to internet. Site staff also uses connection. Concert goers are not using service as laptops and such are not able to be brought in. The site is in a Dave Mathews video, I'm not sure which one, but they continually fly over the crowd and the river and canyon beyond, just to give you some idea of the terrain. So is that point to point or wifi?

Shawn
Connect Telecom www.connecttelecom.us
In matters of style, swim with the current. In matters of principle, stand like a rock. Thomas Jefferson
Originally posted by emmitt2727:
The site is in a Dave Mathews video, I'm not sure which one, but they continually fly over the crowd and the river and canyon beyond, just to give you some idea of the terrain. So is that point to point or wifi?
Sounds like The Gorge to me..

"There is one thing and only one thing in which it is granted to you to be free in life, all else being beyond your power: that is to recognize and profess the truth." - Leo Tolstoy
Technically speaking from experience over the last 3 years using several Wireless Solutions for VoiP Coverage and Bridges

WDS is the standard for low cost wireless overlapping networks.

The questions are;
How are users going to authenticate? Radius, WEP, WPA, ...etc

The next level up is MESH radios with access, control and management on B channel and data on G

The products we have used are from a largely unknown company called Planet... The U.S. Distributor is www.planetnw.com Speak to Ben. He's a real pro on what you'll need.

The Two channel Mesh equipment is outdoor rated, plus indoor AP are available and a Windows Management Reporting performance tool is included.

Going further up the $$ scale look to N networking. We are about to deploy our first and based on our research with real clients and a large install base, we are going with Meru Networks for a 1 channel autoconfig solution to cover 45 acres and 16 buildings for Data, VoIP and moderate Video Streaming.

So basically, one quick question: How do I authenticate my network given the speed and connectivity?

Moderator-ESI, Shoretel
Moderator-ESI, Shoretel
Originally Posted by donriley
So basically, one quick question: How do I authenticate my network given the speed and connectivity?

Start a new post if you are seriously looking for an answer - this post is from years ago

Sure, Will post a new thread. Thank You for directing me in right direction.

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Statistics
Forums84
Topics94,262
Posts638,695
Members49,757
Most Online5,661
May 23rd, 2018
Popular Topics(Views)
211,098 Shoretel
187,707 CTX100 install
186,794 1a2 system
Newest Members
BPopilek, Rich F, LewisR, TDKs79, Buttinset
49,757 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
dexman 18
Toner 14
TDKs79 8
teleco 4
Who's Online Now
3 members (dans, Toner, Curlycord), 106 guests, and 250 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Contact Us | Sponsored by Atcom: One of the best VoIP Phone Canada Suppliers for your business telephone system!| Terms of Service

Sundance Communications is not affiliated with any of the above manufacturers. Sundance Phone System Forums - VOIP & Cloud Phone Help
©Copyright Sundance Communications 1998-2024