web statisticsweb stats

Business Phone Systems

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Dane Offline OP
OP Offline
I use Linux pure-ftp for my server so I can do remote backups on Mitel ICP PBXs. All was working fine and then quit. I thought it may have been the router so I connected directly to my cable modem (Terayon TJ 715) but continued to have the same problem. So I thought it might have something to do with updates to my operatiing system and I reinstalled the ftp server. Still no luck. I finally decided to try my other computer with windoze XP with Filezilla (which was working before as well) and can't seem to connect. I have the router back in place and the correct port (21) is forwarded to the correct computer. On the incoming log on the linksys router I can see the remote switch IP hitting and trying to connect but it just ain't happenin'.

Could the ISP have put something in the way or do you have any other suggestions? I need to get this working ASAP

Thanks,

Dane

Atcom VoIP Phones
VoIP Demo

Best VoIP Phones Canada

Visit Atcom to get started with your new business VoIP phone system ASAP
Turn up is quick, painless, and can often be done same day.
Let us show you how to do VoIP right, resulting in crystal clear call quality and easy-to-use features that make everyone happy!
Proudly serving Canada from coast to coast.

You're saying that you run the FTP server on your Linux box, inside your router?

And that you push the files into it from remote sites?

If your server is behind a residential service, especially a cable modem, the problem is probably that your provider noticed you were running a server, and blocked the incoming port -- they do that.

21, 25 and 80 are the usual candidates.

Dane Offline OP
OP Offline
I just have to use a server to backup or restore stuff on telephone systems. It's not a lot of traffic so I don' think that is the problem. But thanks.

Have you tried testing the connection locally.
IE telnet to the FTP server and see if it is responding. Also verify that anonymous access is there for most systems use anonymous for access to the FTP server. Not sure how the Mitel works but other systems work that way. If that is working then the only thing that it can be is your carrier.

Not a common thing in my part of the country but can be in other parts of the country.

I generally use Serv-U FTP server. Works great.

All In One Communications
Mustang, OK
Dane Offline OP
OP Offline
Not sure what you mean by telnet to server. fom the same computer? What port would I telnet to?

Thanks for the help?

sph Offline
From another computer:

TCP port 23 for telnet
TCP port 22 for ssh (encrypted telnet)

Dane Offline OP
OP Offline
Thanks. I actually got it working again. There was a package in Linux (called common ftp) that I had missed when I de-installed (several times) and it must have been corrupted or had something screwed up in it because when I finally found that and took it out and reinstalled all the server packages I had it back up and running in no time.

thanks for all the help.

NP.

> I just have to use a server to backup or restore stuff on telephone systems. It's not a lot of traffic so I don' think that is the problem.

In fact, though, they don't care how much *traffic* you move; they just occasionally sweep their assigned IPs looking for one that answer on the server ports, and block those ports if you're not a business account; they've done it for years...

Dane Offline OP
OP Offline
Oh thanks for the lookout

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Statistics
Forums84
Topics94,294
Posts638,835
Members49,769
Most Online5,661
May 23rd, 2018
Popular Topics(Views)
212,638 Shoretel
189,521 CTX100 install
187,780 1a2 system
Newest Members
Soulece, Robbks, A2A Networks, James D., Nadisale
49,768 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
Toner 24
teleco 9
dans 5
dexman 4
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 102 guests, and 320 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Contact Us | Sponsored by Atcom: One of the best VoIP Phone Canada Suppliers for your business telephone system!| Terms of Service

Sundance Communications is not affiliated with any of the above manufacturers. Sundance Phone System Forums - VOIP & Cloud Phone Help
©Copyright Sundance Communications 1998-2024