web statisticsweb stats

Business Phone Systems

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
OP Offline
I'm reconfiguring an existing mess. Client has two DSL circuits one for a packet 8 set up with 7 phones and the other DSL for 8 PC nodes.

The packet8 has never worked properly, I tested the DSL and it showed real bad jitter. The client ordered up a T-1 from telepacific and wants to delete the two DSL circuits and put everything on the new T-1.

That's where I came in.

The phone network runs on network 1 and the computers on network 0.

My thought was to put everything on network 0, so as to avoid having the joy of two networks running on one broadband connection.

They dont have a firewall and the existing routers are not compatible with the cisco 1841 that telepacific installed.

So my question for you is what do you recommend I do, and what equipment would be required.

And lets assume that I dont know a lot about routers and such. I'm their phone guy from another division and they are a non profit organization so money is tight.

Thanks in advance for your help.

Atcom VoIP Phones
VoIP Demo

Best VoIP Phones Canada

Visit Atcom to get started with your new business VoIP phone system ASAP
Turn up is quick, painless, and can often be done same day.
Let us show you how to do VoIP right, resulting in crystal clear call quality and easy-to-use features that make everyone happy!
Proudly serving Canada from coast to coast.

They ordered a T1 for their Packet8 phones? Why not just get POTS lines from the LEC? You mentioned money was tight... so even if they need to purchase a small phone system, they would still spend less money over time if they didn't have the cost of a T1.

The Cisco 1841 is a router, so you don't really need another router.

OP Offline
Hi Marc,

Thanks for the reply. See, I told you I needed help.

OK, so I think then I need a firewall of some sort?

And how do I get both networks on one router?

Also, I am in the process of conviencing them to get rid of the packet8 mess.

Thanks in advance.

Moderator-Mobil Phones, Computers
Moderator-Mobil Phones, Computers
The router functions as a firewall as well. If this is a non profit tight on money the first thing I would do is try to dump the T1, then keep one DSL line and get a cable line in for a backup and then get rid of the two networks. Make sure you implement QOS on the router to try to get some sort of quality control on the voice. Unfortunately when you use voice over public internet you dont have any control once the call leaves the router. You will have the same issues on an internet T1. Even though the connection from your router to the provider is more reliable the calls still have to tranverse the internet.

As mentioned, the Cisco router is also a firewall. The model listed above is capable of doing two different networks on the same device... you just need someone familiar with Cisco to configure the router.

Moderator-Vertical, Vodavi
Moderator-Vertical, Vodavi
My first question would be, are you sure that the DSL is the problem with the Packet 8 equipment? Have you tried using the Packet 8 on the other circuit?

To echo Marc, you'd probably be better off with POTS lines and a phone system. If you do go forward with your plan, make sure you setup of QOS as Tito said.

The answer to getting both networks on the one router is to have the voice network go to one ethernet port and the data network go to another ethernet port. You can then also apply QoS to the voice port so you're not limited to FIFO.

The catch is what do you do behind the router then?

For the data network, I would HIGHLY recommend you stop using your router as the firewall. I'd turn NAT and statefull inspection off in the router and connect the first ethernet to a appliance firewall like a Juniper Netscreen or a Watchguard. Makes it SOO much easier to troubleshoot when there are problems and also reduces the amount of load that is generated on the router which allows it to do what it's supposed to do. Route. smile

Then for the voice network you can terminate into a separate switch that would be used for the IP phones or SIP trunks. Which brings up another question, what is currently breaking out the voice from Packet8? ATAs or IP Phones?

Hope this helps.

Fred

What CIT states is correct. The 1841 is a router and firewall. It can handle all your needs. You need to set the VLANs for voice and data.

If you are not familiar with Cisco configuration and do not know where to start then you need to look into other options such as Majestic's. Cisco's can be tricky.

Cheaper to do POTS than T1 for sure. I'd even throw in ADSL into the POTS system for data. That would save even more over time.

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Statistics
Forums84
Topics94,291
Posts638,821
Members49,767
Most Online5,661
May 23rd, 2018
Popular Topics(Views)
212,476 Shoretel
189,232 CTX100 install
187,528 1a2 system
Newest Members
Robbks, A2A Networks, James D., Nadisale, andreww
49,767 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
Toner 26
teleco 8
dexman 5
jsaad 5
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 117 guests, and 88 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Contact Us | Sponsored by Atcom: One of the best VoIP Phone Canada Suppliers for your business telephone system!| Terms of Service

Sundance Communications is not affiliated with any of the above manufacturers. Sundance Phone System Forums - VOIP & Cloud Phone Help
©Copyright Sundance Communications 1998-2024