Business Phone Systems

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
ictelco Offline OP
OP Offline
I need some guidance on a small dental office shared by two dentists who want to keep their "data" private. One dentist has a pc at the front desk with a cat5 cable and ends crimped on to connect peer to peer to a pc in his office. Thats his network..... The second dentist has a pc at the other side of the front desk, connected by a patch cable to a linksys wireless router,that connects wireless to a laptop, and thats his network....... Both want internet access, so they have ordered a dsl to share. Any ideas on set-up to share a dsl for minimal internet access by both, yet not be able to access each others networks/files. Oh by the way a set of braces is $4000 but they don't want to spend much money!

Atcom VoIP Phones
VoIP Demo

Best VoIP Phones Canada

Visit Atcom to get started with your new business VoIP phone system ASAP
Turn up is quick, painless, and can often be done same day.
Let us show you how to do VoIP right, resulting in crystal clear call quality and easy-to-use features that make everyone happy!
Proudly serving Canada from coast to coast.

RIP Moderator-Nisuko-Tie, General
RIP Moderator-Nisuko-Tie, General
heres a thread where I posed the same question

I would think with HIPA the bes thing would be two broadband connections so there where two totally seprate networks

Skip
------------------------------------

Serving SW and West central Fl since 1984
Cisco ASA5505

It can be setup with two VLAN's that will not see each other and each will have access to the internet. The ten user model is under $400.

Any router that can do VLAN can do this. Adtran, Cisco, etc. Also, be sure the network cards in the p.c.'s can do VLAN. Some of the built-in motherboard nic cards do not.

Pat Austin
Teleco Inc.
Product Manager/Sales Engineer
Adtran ATSP
TCTE/CTP Certified

Teleco Homepage
Zyxel USG100 router. It has several LAN ports that allow different subnets/vlans to be run for each tenant. If you need help programing, let us know.

ElectSys Tech LLC
Hosted Phone Systems Solutions Provider
Allworx, Sangoma, FreePBX
Telephone & computer systems in the Jefferson City, Columbia MO area.
I have used this switch several times

https://www.netgear.com/Products/Switches/SmartSwitches/FS726T.aspx

Easy browser setup, won't break the bank, but more ports than you need.

For the money you can't beat it.

-Alec
ictelco Offline OP
OP Offline
Thanks everyone for your replies. After talking to the customer today, it looks as though we will use one network/lan for both doc's. They probably don't know how to access each others files anyway.

They may not know how to access each others files, but chances are they don't keep their patches up to date and don't understand how to configure their firewalls. If one dentist gets a virus it could very well affect the other dentist. I would advise them to keep them separate. Easy enough to do...just daisy chain two cheap routers together. The only thing you need to do, is set them to use different subnets for their respective LANs. (192.168.1.0 and 192.168.2.0 would work) Or, assuming your DSL provider will give two IPs, a small switch ahead of the two routers would be even better. Nothing needs to be changed on the router in this case. If they already have one router, $75 would buy another router and a small switch.

clinton has it right.

ictelco, i set up dentist offices all the time.

make sure both doctors know that it would be in their best interest to invest a little bit more money to keep their networks separate.

i also know exactly how cheap dentists can be. persistence is the key.

good luck

CB

Wonder what the HIPA requirements are? Sharing a connection may not be allowed.

Patient privacy is important so a firewall is a no brainer and I agree with the VLANs but not sure if that's still allowed by law.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Statistics
Forums84
Topics94,290
Posts638,801
Members49,767
Most Online5,661
May 23rd, 2018
Popular Topics(Views)
212,374 Shoretel
189,057 CTX100 install
187,410 1a2 system
Newest Members
Robbks, A2A Networks, James D., Nadisale, andreww
49,767 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
Toner 22
teleco 6
dexman 5
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 76 guests, and 408 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Contact Us | Sponsored by Atcom: One of the best VoIP Phone Canada Suppliers for your business telephone system!| Terms of Service

Sundance Communications is not affiliated with any of the above manufacturers. Sundance Phone System Forums - VOIP & Cloud Phone Help
©Copyright Sundance Communications 1998-2024