web statisticsweb stats Business Phone Systems Tech Talk Forum - VOIP & Cloud Phone Help

Business Phone Systems

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
If you're looking for open source routers that don't require a key for every feature look at ClearOS. Load on any PC and add a second NIC card. It does unlimited PPTP VPN or IPSEC VPN, content filtering, intrusion detection, antivirus, and bandwidth management--all things your SOHO routers won't do.
If you're looking for a nice middle of the road router, look at Zyxel USG100. It does all the above plus does a good job with dual WANs and VLAN routing.

ElectSys Tech LLC
Hosted Phone Systems Solutions Provider
Allworx, Sangoma, FreePBX
Telephone & computer systems in the Jefferson City, Columbia MO area.
Atcom VoIP Phones
VoIP Demo

Best VoIP Phones Canada

Visit Atcom to get started with your new business VoIP phone system ASAP
Turn up is quick, painless, and can often be done same day.
Let us show you how to do VoIP right, resulting in crystal clear call quality and easy-to-use features that make everyone happy!
Proudly serving Canada from coast to coast.

Z-man Offline OP
Moderator-Avaya, Nortel
OP Offline
Moderator-Avaya, Nortel
Originally posted by aweaver:
If you're looking for open source routers that don't require a key for every feature look at ClearOS. Load on any PC and add a second NIC card. It does unlimited PPTP VPN or IPSEC VPN, content filtering, intrusion detection, antivirus, and bandwidth management--all things your SOHO routers won't do.
If you're looking for a nice middle of the road router, look at Zyxel USG100. It does all the above plus does a good job with dual WANs and VLAN routing.
Its interesting you should mention Zyxel. MY old Qwest DSL modem was a Q100. It was basically a Zyxel 100, or at least the same OS. I was impressed with how many features this little router had.

Z-man
Avaya SME Authorized Partner
www.omniofficetech.com
Some of what routers cost is for the name. Cisco will always be a premium cost cause it says "Cisco" on it. Even if they are manufactured by someone else and rebranded.

But the real cost of a router boils down to a few things:
1) Fixed vs Modular chassis/interfaces
2) Routing Performance (packets-per-second)
3) Extended features like VPN, QoS, etc
4) Scalability and Reliability of design

Your cheapest router provides only a basic NAT with port forwarding. These are your average $20-$60 routers used in homes all over america. More then adequate for your average family surfing youtube and playing games or your SOHO.

The next level is SMB class routers. These usually add extra features like VPN connectivity, QoS, intrusion detection, dual-WAN, etc. Something of this caliber is usually what you see at a place of business like a doctor's office or auto parts store (or should see). These are usually in the $1-500 price range, sometimes more, depending upon capabilities and brand. The Cisco ASA devices are a good example of what goes here. Most OpenSource router implementations like Untangle, IPCop, DD-WRT, etc, are usually in this class feature wise.

Then comes Enterprise where all bets are off. These usually start around $1000 and go up to $20K or so. This is what the internet is built on. Something like a Cisco 2800-series router would arguably be entry level in this class. You will probably never deal much with these unless you start doing work for an ISP or need to network large campuses together.

Admin
Admin
I've been looking for a hospitality router. The ClearOS and PublicIP look interesting, I still like the Valuepoints, now up to the 3560 and EnGenius just announced a new router that is being intro'd for a good price. Valuepoints have a choking problem on VPN's greater than 10, and I only have to deal with that once a season when the Microsoft boys come to stay.

From the guy who owns 3 Guestgates, none of them ever installed for more than 14 days, I'm ready to take a chance on a Linux box. Now if I can just find the right location for field trial....

Carl

In my book, James nailed it hard:

PPS and scalability are the key factors. A hundred MB is only a hundred MB if you don't look carefully at how payload is managed (use PPS as one gauge). And scaling usually breaks down at powers of two (sixteen users may be a max, for example).

"Press play and record at the same time" -- Tim Alberstein
Originally posted by Kumba:

Then comes Enterprise where all bets are off. These usually start around $1000 and go up to $20K or so. This is what the internet is built on. Something like a Cisco 2800-series router would arguably be entry level in this class. You will probably never deal much with these unless you start doing work for an ISP or need to network large campuses together.
Don't forget the Carrier class routers, that run in the $50K+ range.. The Cisco CRS-3 starts at $90K or so..

Originally posted by Z-man:
It has some type of 10 user limit, but I can't quite figure out what it is. It seems to have good web filtering and all.
That’s also what defines a lot routers from say the big box store ones, and your watchguards and sonicwalls. They will come with limited client access, in order up sell different software packs and node connections. You can register your soho at watchguard.com, which should give you a free 90 day account in order to download any updates. I have programmed my fair share and personally don’t think they are worth the price, i like sonicwall much better, though seem to be pricier than watchguard.

Z-man Offline OP
Moderator-Avaya, Nortel
OP Offline
Moderator-Avaya, Nortel
Originally posted by rustynails:
Originally posted by Z-man:
[b] It has some type of 10 user limit, but I can't quite figure out what it is. It seems to have good web filtering and all.
That’s also what defines a lot routers from say the big box store ones, and your watchguards and sonicwalls. They will come with limited client access, in order up sell different software packs and node connections. You can register your soho at watchguard.com, which should give you a free 90 day account in order to download any updates. I have programmed my fair share and personally don’t think they are worth the price, i like sonicwall much better, though seem to be pricier than watchguard. [/b]
its an older Watchguard, I think the quit supporting it in January. I might play around a bit with it and use it as a firewall for my wireless just to see if I can get it to work..

Z-man
Avaya SME Authorized Partner
www.omniofficetech.com
They quit supporting a few years ago. However you should be able to get the latest release on the website. There is an area that lets you take ownership of a device by simply entering in the serial number. I'd give it a try.

~r

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Statistics
Forums84
Topics94,279
Posts638,738
Members49,764
Most Online5,661
May 23rd, 2018
Popular Topics(Views)
211,291 Shoretel
188,176 CTX100 install
187,019 1a2 system
Newest Members
andreww, gohunt, Darrick, telecopippo, highlysecptial
49,763 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
Toner 15
teleco 4
jc2it 4
dexman 4
Who's Online Now
2 members (Toner, Touch Tone Tommy), 101 guests, and 83 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Contact Us | Sponsored by Atcom: One of the best VoIP Phone Canada Suppliers for your business telephone system!| Terms of Service

Sundance Communications is not affiliated with any of the above manufacturers. Sundance Phone System Forums - VOIP & Cloud Phone Help
©Copyright Sundance Communications 1998-2024