Business Phone Systems

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
#26840 02/23/12 04:06 PM
OP Offline
I have read the definitions I can find about this miraculous thing and believe it works with ISDN PRI B23+D??

A year or so ago when my company was investigating upgrading our ROLM 9751 we were told by a salesperson that we could not use this.

Now two sales reps have told our eager engineers that lo and behold, it will work.

I asked "tech" people referred from the sales reps what is it exactly and how does it work. I got the standard answer of "your switch can't support it".

Now, suddenly the 9751 can support it?

Phone switch is my additional duty. I am a T1, SONET, microwave guy. I get no good answers from anyone.

As I understand it, QSIG is nothing more than a tie trunk between old and new systems?

If it has to be ISDN PRI, the ROLM cannot support it without something to convert PRI to E&M T1.

We are doing that now with an Atlas Adtran for our LEC interface.

The engineers seem to be content that it will work but cannot explain what it is either, I get copies of the wickie definition from them which states it is ISDN.

Any thoughts would be helpful.

Atcom VoIP Phones
VoIP Demo

Best VoIP Phones Canada

Visit Atcom to get started with your new business VoIP phone system ASAP
Turn up is quick, painless, and can often be done same day.
Let us show you how to do VoIP right, resulting in crystal clear call quality and easy-to-use features that make everyone happy!
Proudly serving Canada from coast to coast.

#26841 02/24/12 01:34 AM
QSIG is done over PRI. You generally order a vanilla PTP T1 then apply your PRI/Qsig to the circuit. What are you trying to network together?

#26842 02/24/12 01:43 AM
Your Rolm may not support PRI, which is what it sounds like your sales guy (I assume it is a Siemens sales guy) is saying. So technically it is not supported on the Rolm system, you are attempting a work around by converting the PRI to T1 and then using QSIG to tie together your equipment. As they say "it is working as designed".

Steve

#26843 02/24/12 06:20 AM
RIP Moderator-Mitel, Panasonic
RIP Moderator-Mitel, Panasonic
Q-SIG is a "universal" protocol that allows 'enhanced' networking of different brands of PBX'x.
Depending on the manufacturer(s), this can be as little as MW signaling across the network.

And you may only need a software level upgrade, OR a Whole new cabinet that will support your present phones and has PRI and Q-SIG capability!

I'd say that it's time to talk to the manufacturer, and/or get a MONEY BACK guarantee.

When I was young, I was Liberal. As I aged and wised up, I became Conservative. Now that I'm old, I have settled on Curmudgeon.
#26844 02/27/12 09:35 AM
It depends on the software version your switch is running on. If you are running the 9005 series of software you need to talk to Siemens. If you are running the 9006.X, I can tell you that nothing older than 9006.5 is QSIG enabled. Furthermore, as is typical for Siemens, their version of QSIG is only partialy compatible with everyone else. About the only thing it will do with some other equipment is light the message waiting lamp. Good luck and I wish you well, but having fought the proprietary (Siemens) vs. proprietary (Cisco) battle for years I can tell you it is no fun and generally very expensive in actual dollars and soft dollars (your time and effort to manage).

"Waiting for my implantable virtual-reality/full tactile suite video satphone, because it will be the next best thing to being there."
#26845 03/08/12 03:43 PM
OP Offline
Thank you for the replies.

A little clarification. We are replacing the ROLM not upgrading as I misstated. I meant upgrading the phone system. There is no upgrading of this old switch.

QSIG has been hyped by the sales and technical people as being able to migrate the entire existing system over to their product seamlessly and with no effort. Or something along that line.

I know this will not ever happen. It is a whole new VoIP system for the facility and the few satellites we have IP connection to. I get it.

I ask if the new system can support T1 E&M tie trunks. They say yeah, PRI. I say, no, standard T1 E&M tie trunks using D type ABCD bit signaling on the ESF framed DSO bit stream. They say, we don't know. I ask if the new system can support the several hundred T1 FXO/FXS lines we have. Blank stares. I explain FXO/FXs using D type ABCD bit signaling on the ESF framed DSO bit stream. This is with "technical experts" from vendors on a speaker phone at the meetings. Then someone will ask "it's got a D channel right?".

I am getting frustrated and getting a reputation of being "anti VoIP", a dinosaur and worse. I really am not. Anti VoIP that is. The rest...

At this point all I really want to know is if the new system is capable of being tied to the old one with a T1 tie trunk using...etc. All it's got to do is send a start and some DTMF digits. LOL, one "tech expert" asked me "what's DTMF?".

I don't particularly care if the office people use two cans and a string or a TA-312. My concern is for the techs out at one of our remote locations getting dial tone and connecting to whoever they need to by punching four digits. I don't care if any features work other than incoming calls ringing and being able to make outgoing calls

Since you all took the time to reply, I will take the time to answer all of your replies.

#26846 03/08/12 04:03 PM
I think in your case you are better served getting a telephone system that can be networked over VOIP. Keep digital phones and analog lines but use VOIP to network sites together where it makes sense to do so. And remember depending on the loop lengths of those analog lines there are no FXS boxes that are going to cut it esp when it comes to ring voltage. It really all comes down to application and reality.

#26847 03/08/12 04:42 PM
OP Offline
Lightninghorse
Q-SIG is a "universal" protocol that allows 'enhanced' networking of different brands of PBX'x.
Depending on the manufacturer(s), this can be as little as MW signaling across the network.

And you may only need a software level upgrade, OR a Whole new cabinet that will support your present phones and has PRI and Q-SIG capability!

I'd say that it's time to talk to the manufacturer, and/or get a MONEY BACK guarantee.
This is gonna be my first reply because you gave me the best answer. And you have the (IMHO) best signature line.

I don't give a rodent's rump about any "enhanced" networking. There is no upgrade possible. It means a new box, new phones.

My concern is the off site remote phones. They are T1 FXO/FXS, have a loop on the far end and most of the phones are some type of 2500 clone. I want them to ring when called and have a dial tone and make calls. I don't really want the desk jockey with the color display to have to enter @#824*5624# to call 5624 and I don't want the person at the off site to enter a bunch of codes to dial a four digit extension.

So far, no one can guarantee their PBX can do this. Suggestions are to get ethernet or a PRI to each site. For two extensions? Sure, why not.

#26848 03/08/12 04:59 PM
OP Offline
Coral Tech
QSIG is done over PRI. You generally order a vanilla PTP T1 then apply your PRI/Qsig to the circuit. What are you trying to network together?
The two PBXs will be in the same room so they create their own T1, we provide copper wires. A ROLM 9751 and whatever the powers decide to buy.

The ROLM does not do PRI, we use an interface to convert PRI to T1 E&M.

#26849 03/08/12 05:20 PM
OP Offline
tampasteve
Your Rolm may not support PRI, which is what it sounds like your sales guy (I assume it is a Siemens sales guy) is saying. So technically it is not supported on the Rolm system, you are attempting a work around by converting the PRI to T1 and then using QSIG to tie together your equipment. As they say "it is working as designed".
Not a Siemans sales person. The ROLM does not support PRI (there are a few overpriced ROLM converter cards around). We use an Adtran box to convert the PRI to T1 E&M. Why will we need "QSIG" to tie the equipment together?This is a term our engineers are wrapped up around. I submit a standard T1 E&M tie trunk should do it. We don't care about any feature other than incoming/outgoing calls.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  MooreTel 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Statistics
Forums84
Topics94,284
Posts638,772
Members49,765
Most Online5,661
May 23rd, 2018
Popular Topics(Views)
211,461 Shoretel
188,321 CTX100 install
187,092 1a2 system
Newest Members
Nadisale, andreww, gohunt, Darrick, telecopippo
49,764 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
Toner 23
teleco 5
jc2it 4
dans 3
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 126 guests, and 322 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Contact Us | Sponsored by Atcom: One of the best VoIP Phone Canada Suppliers for your business telephone system!| Terms of Service

Sundance Communications is not affiliated with any of the above manufacturers. Sundance Phone System Forums - VOIP & Cloud Phone Help
©Copyright Sundance Communications 1998-2024