Business Phone Systems

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#37630 09/15/07 09:05 PM
OP Offline
I have just started working with a new client that has a DX-80 phone system with a 7270 VM. The voice mail has stopped working do to the hard drive not working.

I have read through some of the other posts stating it is possible to gost the hard drive onto another HD, the problem I am having is the HD is not able to read, it just clicks.

I have only worked with the 7271c CF VM's in the past. I would assume copying a CF card would not work on a hard drive version.

Is there any way of getting a gost copy of a 7270 VM hard drive so I can get this on up and running.

I do know I can send it in for repair, but I am trying to keep the cost down.

Thanks for any help.

Atcom VoIP Phones
VoIP Demo

Best VoIP Phones Canada

Visit Atcom to get started with your new business VoIP phone system ASAP
Turn up is quick, painless, and can often be done same day.
Let us show you how to do VoIP right, resulting in crystal clear call quality and easy-to-use features that make everyone happy!
Proudly serving Canada from coast to coast.

#37631 09/16/07 03:12 AM
I've been through this in the past and always ended up starting from scratch with a new flash based 7271C. Time is money.
Welcome to the board.

#37632 09/16/07 09:27 AM
Yup, what Mark said. If your hard drive just clicks, you certainly can't attach it to a PC and expect to Ghost it. I have used the hard drive versions of the vmail when a customer is going to do a lot of call recording, but other than that I go with the flash version. Make sure the system is connected to a GOOD quality U.P.S.! Flash memory doesn't like flaky power when reading or writing!

Hackbarth Communications, L.L.C. - Serving South Central Wisconsin's Telecom Needs
#37633 09/16/07 05:54 PM
OP Offline
I do agree with you about Time is money. sometimes I try a little to hard to save money when it would makes more sense to just start out with new. I have been very happy with the flash version that I have installed and have not had any problems with them at all for the past couple of years.

I can send this unit in to get fixed for less then it would cost for a new flash drive card. Would you get the current one fixed or suggest the client upgrade to the new flash version? Your thoughts would be apprecieated.

#37634 09/17/07 02:31 AM
Retired Moderator
Retired Moderator
I have the 7270 files zipped up. I make the drives all the time but unless you're pretty handy with DOS I would replace it with the new flash version. Also you don't have to deal with the midnight notification problem with the new units.

Repair the old unit and keep it as a service spare for your next 7270 customer.

My O2.

--Bill.

#37635 09/17/07 12:19 PM
I would agree with Delron, but for me, I keep a couple of spare flash drive units and have a HD unit with a bad drive that I've decided not to invest in repairing. Your call if it's worth the money to fix it.

#37636 09/18/07 01:40 AM
Do you know what version the VM is? On the edge opposite the ribbon cable does it say "DX-80 VM" or does it say "DX-80 VM II"?
The hard drive models can last a long time if they get a brand new HD. I see a lot more of the flash card models come back than the HD models. There's also repair places that you can send it to that will warranty it for a full year, if that helps.

#37637 09/22/07 06:48 PM
OP Offline
Looking at the VM board, I am not able find it were it says "DX-80 VM" or "DX-80 VM II". I do a sticker with a 9-1-01 for a build date. With that said I would suspect it is a "DX-80 VM".

Again, all of your input is helpful and I appreciate it.

#37638 09/23/07 11:36 AM
Hi TechGuy:

I don't have experience with the 7270, but I do have experience resurrecting bad hard drives. I don't know what type of drive is in the 7270, but I'm assuming an IDE or SCSI? You can tell by the type of cables.

In any case, maybe this will help:

Hard drives generally go bad for one of five reasons 1) System info (boot track, MBR, directory, FAT) is bad 2) System info is unreadable 3) Drive has mechanical problems (actuator, heads, motor, bearings) 4) Drive has electronic problems 5) Data is unreadable

Problems 1 and 2 can often be "cured" by installing the bad drive into a computer, as a slave drive. The computer would, of course, have to have a compatible drive controller, cables, and OS.

You then boot the computer and, using various recovery tools, access the bad drive to copy off the data. If the MBR is bad, you can just re-write it, and the drive will be OK. Though you still ought to replace the drive at that point, because it won't stay well forever!

Sometimes problems 3 and 5 can be "cured" by cooling or heating the drive. The problem can be that the drive is worn, or the data's magnetic field is weak. With a worn drive, the heads or platters are out of tolerance, and the cooling or heating of the drive offsets this wear, and enables you to copy off (ghost) the drive. With weak data field, the heating or cooling will sometimes help.

Sometimes "cooling" means just removing the drive from the device long enough for it to come to room temp, though I've had to resort to refrigerating and even freezing a drive to get it to work. Sometimes heating the drive works, though I usually try cooling first.

Older drives (such as the Seagate 20MB drives) often had motors that would not spin up. The problem was actually that the heads would "stick" to the platter when the drive was off, and the motor did not have sufficient torque to overcome the parked heads. The "cure" was to box up the drive in its original shipping container, and drop it onto the floor from a height of about 3 feet! Today, though, I don't recommend this sort of "shock treatment!"

Problem 4 might be curable if you had an identical drive, and swapped the electronics board onto the bad drive, at least in theory. I've never been successful doing this, though I've tried.

There are companies that will recover the data from your drive, repair or replace the drive, and write the data onto the repaired or new drive. Those services aren't cheap, but they're usually cheaper than losing all of your data!

Time is money, but if the client is paying, and the client needs the data that's on the drive, then it may be worth trying to recover it. Only you and the client can ultimately decide, I suppose.

Hope this helps...

Well, here's another fine mess I've gotten myself into...
#37639 09/23/07 01:33 PM
Good information for the computer world, but not necessarily so for the telephone world. Some company's drives can't be ghosted or copied from the original drive, they use a proprietary formating. A good geek could probably break it but at a time consuming cost. ESI comes to mind first, not sure about Comdial. I'm far from an expert in hard drives or computers, but using the manufacturer's replacement parts has been quick and efficient from a business standpoint.
A person can waste a lot of time trying to save a few bucks. It's like triping over a dollar to pick up a dime.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Statistics
Forums84
Topics94,284
Posts638,772
Members49,765
Most Online5,661
May 23rd, 2018
Popular Topics(Views)
211,461 Shoretel
188,321 CTX100 install
187,092 1a2 system
Newest Members
Nadisale, andreww, gohunt, Darrick, telecopippo
49,764 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
Toner 23
teleco 5
jc2it 4
dans 3
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 182 guests, and 402 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Contact Us | Sponsored by Atcom: One of the best VoIP Phone Canada Suppliers for your business telephone system!| Terms of Service

Sundance Communications is not affiliated with any of the above manufacturers. Sundance Phone System Forums - VOIP & Cloud Phone Help
©Copyright Sundance Communications 1998-2024