Business Phone Systems

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
#37640 09/29/07 04:14 AM
Hi Mark K:

Good point. Some phone companies do use proprietary formatting, making it difficult to use traditional tools on them.

It's true that some of these drives can't just be dropped into a computer and have them work.

However, it's not accurate to say they can't be
"ghosted", even with a proprietary format.

Bits are bits, and there are tools to copy one drive to another, regardless of the format.

That said, your point is right on. It's usually better to just go ahead and replace the parts to get the customer going quickly.

But there are rare occasions when the customer might be better served by recovering their data. My yardstick, and the question I always ask the customer, is: Will it take you more money and time to manually recover your info (or, as in this case, more money if the voicemails are lost) than it will to recover the data?

I've had cases where critical data was lost, and it was a better business decision to recover it than to let it go. In one situation, the "data" was a series of voicemails that were critical to a court case, and needed to be recovered.

The cost of that recovery was far less than the loss of the lawsuit would have been.

But, I do agree with you that time is money. The cost/benefit analysis should be a consideration too.

Well, here's another fine mess I've gotten myself into...
Atcom VoIP Phones
VoIP Demo

Best VoIP Phones Canada

Visit Atcom to get started with your new business VoIP phone system ASAP
Turn up is quick, painless, and can often be done same day.
Let us show you how to do VoIP right, resulting in crystal clear call quality and easy-to-use features that make everyone happy!
Proudly serving Canada from coast to coast.

#37641 09/29/07 06:51 AM
Well said Techie, there are probably a lot of circumstances that fit your senario. I know less then nothing about ghosting except that I've tried it once with no luck. Keep us posted, I hope you have a successful report for us in the end.
Mark

#37642 09/29/07 01:56 PM
Originally posted by Techie-type:
Hi TechGuy:
Sometimes "cooling" means just removing the drive from the device long enough for it to come to room temp, though I've had to resort to refrigerating and even freezing a drive to get it to work. Sometimes heating the drive works, though I usually try cooling first.
One of my laptops started having problems when it was 90º outside, I brought it inside and dropped the temp down to 65º and got it running long enough to back up everything I needed. The drive finally died the next day.

Customer called me Friday, Windows couldn't find the OS on his leptop. It had been sitting in his truck all day and was quite hot. Told him to cool it down, save what he needs and take it back under warranty (3 years from Best Buy).

Originally posted by Techie-type:
Hi TechGuy:
Older drives (such as the Seagate 20MB drives) often had motors that would not spin up. ... The "cure" was to box up the drive in its original shipping container, and drop it onto the floor from a height of about 3 feet! Today, though, I don't recommend this sort of "shock treatment!"
I had an IBM clone about fifteen years ago. The 10 Meg drive did not like warm weather running sideways up, cooling fan next to it kept it running. Finally got to the point I had to lift the whole case up a quarter inch and drop it on the table to start it up.

#37643 09/29/07 05:13 PM
Strange as it may sound, putting a dead or dying hard drive in the freezer really may revive it for long enough to get your data off of it. I put the bad drive in an external USB case inside two freezer bags for 24 to 72 hours. Then I connect a very long USB cable to it and shut the freezer door again. I connect this to my laptop on the kitchen counter. Then you can use a disk imaging software like Acronis to make an image of the bad hard drive.

Whether this makes economic sense or not is another question. It probably doesn't if you have other paid work to do.
If there is any data that is really important to you, don't try this but get professional help.

#37644 09/30/07 07:13 AM
Retired Moderator
Retired Moderator
However, it's not accurate to say they can't be
"ghosted", even with a proprietary format.

Bits are bits, and there are tools to copy one drive to another, regardless of the format.
Some companies have had the drive manufacturers burn custom BIOS in the drive electronics precluding this.

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Statistics
Forums84
Topics94,294
Posts638,834
Members49,769
Most Online5,661
May 23rd, 2018
Popular Topics(Views)
212,607 Shoretel
189,485 CTX100 install
187,664 1a2 system
Newest Members
Soulece, Robbks, A2A Networks, James D., Nadisale
49,768 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
Toner 26
teleco 9
dexman 5
dans 5
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 121 guests, and 338 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Contact Us | Sponsored by Atcom: One of the best VoIP Phone Canada Suppliers for your business telephone system!| Terms of Service

Sundance Communications is not affiliated with any of the above manufacturers. Sundance Phone System Forums - VOIP & Cloud Phone Help
©Copyright Sundance Communications 1998-2024