Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
#3868 11/01/04 01:14 PM
stone88 Offline OP
OP Offline
Hi all,
I discovered this message board and it seems like a good source for info so I thought I would ask about getting into the telecom field. I guess I need to know what kind of training/skills are needed to get an entry level job. There seems to be a lot of options from online courses, seminars to full blown collage courses. I have been an HVAC tech for 15 years with complex building controls being my specialty, I'm also an avid computer hobbiest self taught in hardware, software, programming and networking. I'm also pretty good with basic eletronics repair. I have been reading up on telecom basics and it seems right up my alley. Any info or advice on the pros and cons of the trade and the best way to get training would be most welcome.

Atcom VoIP Phones
VoIP Demo

Best VoIP Phones Canada

Visit Atcom to get started with your new business VoIP phone system ASAP
Turn up is quick, painless, and can often be done same day.
Let us show you how to do VoIP right, resulting in crystal clear call quality and easy-to-use features that make everyone happy!
Proudly serving Canada from coast to coast.

#3869 11/01/04 03:28 PM
To get an "entry level job" you need to be able to drag wire through a drop ceiling. You don't say why you want to change vocations, but I have to tell you, around here - an HVAC tech that can do complex building controls can command considerably more money then a telecom tech with some years of experience. To draw a comparable income you will need CTI skills (computer Telephony) which will require some years, and schooling. If you decide on a College course, please spell College correctly when you apply. [Linked Image from sundance-communications.com]
mark

#3870 11/01/04 04:47 PM
Moderator-Avaya, Nortel
Moderator-Avaya, Nortel
Welcome to the board Stone. Mark makes a good point. HVAC techs don't do too bad, depending on where your at. A bit less stress than in the telecom field as well, but telecom has it's rewards. A "collage" course may be a waste of time, most of us learned OJT. Start with some basic cable install procedures and go from there. You can be a computer whiz, but if you don't know the color code, you won't get past square one.

Z-man
Avaya SME Authorized Partner
www.omniofficetech.com
#3871 11/01/04 04:52 PM
Yes, agreed. Learn what color code is and proper punchdown methods..and please learn to not lock down 66 blocks (you will understand why later)...lol this irks me to no end. One thing is for sure besides learning to pull cable I became one hell of a scissors lift driver. [Linked Image from sundance-communications.com]

#3872 11/02/04 06:04 AM
RIP Admin-Founder
RIP Admin-Founder
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">If you decide on a College course, please spell College correctly when you apply.</font>

Don't listen to those guys...there just messen with ya on the College issue. You guys need to keep an eye on dtmf [Linked Image from sundance-communications.com]
But they do make a valid point, you need to learn the basics so you'll know what your doing with your computer, HVAC and any other skills you can use with-in the industry. Then you need to figure out what part of the industry you want to get into...The industry consists of Consulting, Installation and Repair, Networking, Cable Construction, Sales, Brokering and CO construction, Central Office maintenance and repair...to name a few and there all a slightly different game with different wage scales.

------------------
| Need a Telephone | Telephone Installers

#3873 11/03/04 02:52 AM
stone88 Offline OP
OP Offline
Hey Guys thanks for all the good advice, and spelling corrections Mark [Linked Image from sundance-communications.com] . Looks like I would need to start as an installer like I thought and decide what area of the trade I would like to get into and hope I can learn it and move up fast. I can afford to take big cut in pay right now if it means I'll be doing something I enjoy later on. HVAC is not all that bad and $30 an hr is good money for this area, but I don't get to work on the stuff I like nearly as much as the mechanical end of the trade. There are a few companies in my area looking for installers/techs most say System Certification Preferred. What kind of cert are they talking about and what kind of money do installers make? Also what kinda tools would I need and where is a good place to get them?

#3874 11/03/04 05:43 AM
$30 an hour? Not sure what phone guys make out there, but that is more than any phone guy in our state makes!!!

I thought you said that your system was down...
#3875 11/08/04 02:21 AM
stone88 Offline OP
OP Offline
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by XConnect:
$30 an hour? Not sure what phone guys make out there, but that is more than any phone guy in our state makes!!!</font>

Wow I didnt realize phone techs where such a low paying field, it must be some real easy work I guess.

#3876 11/08/04 02:35 AM
JBW Offline
The secret to being a rich phone tech is
to marry well.
JBW

#3877 11/08/04 03:32 AM
Stone88
What do you think you are going to get paid; you'll come in with no experience and want 50 dollars an hour??

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  MooreTel 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Statistics
Forums84
Topics94,291
Posts638,815
Members49,767
Most Online5,661
May 23rd, 2018
Popular Topics(Views)
212,389 Shoretel
189,106 CTX100 install
187,417 1a2 system
Newest Members
Robbks, A2A Networks, James D., Nadisale, andreww
49,767 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
Toner 26
teleco 7
dexman 5
jsaad 4
dans 3
Who's Online Now
1 members (highlysecptial), 143 guests, and 364 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Contact Us | Sponsored by Atcom: One of the best VoIP Phone Canada Suppliers for your business telephone system!| Terms of Service

Sundance Communications is not affiliated with any of the above manufacturers. Sundance Phone System Forums - VOIP & Cloud Phone Help
©Copyright Sundance Communications 1998-2024