Business Phone Systems

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
#39852 10/06/08 03:22 PM
RUSS K. Offline OP
OP Offline
Friday, on a system I inherited, the Hard drive on the Corp Office VM croaked. Went to the site, put in a new HD, loaded the system, and so far, so good. Then, it kept telling me the serial link was down. Now to go back, about 2 years ago, there was a little lightning damage, and I had to replace the serial card in the PC. There is also the modem card in it. We configured the jumpers then for Com 1 and Com 2, but they wouldn't work. After configuring them for Com 3 and Com 4, I was able to talk to the switch via Com3, and it has worked ever since.

After reloading the software, Now I can't get the serial integration to work. Was back today, and just for kicks, I also removed the modem (it isn't being used) and reset the jumpers to default on the serial board. Still can't get the link on either Com 1 or 2. On a DOS machine, what could the software have to do with the Com ports other that the program telling it which one to use?

I changed it on Friday to not use serial, and today, I thought I had it after removing the modem, and setting the card to default. The VMAIL came up in the displays, but until I got back to the switch, it said serial link down.

I know I am getting a little rusty on DOS, but still deal with it. Any thoughts?

RUSS K.
Atcom VoIP Phones
VoIP Demo

Best VoIP Phones Canada

Visit Atcom to get started with your new business VoIP phone system ASAP
Turn up is quick, painless, and can often be done same day.
Let us show you how to do VoIP right, resulting in crystal clear call quality and easy-to-use features that make everyone happy!
Proudly serving Canada from coast to coast.

Admin
Admin
If it is the factory box serial COM2 was usually disabled in BIOS so the modem and PC Anywhere could use that. I'd check that first. I'd bet COM1 was blitzed from the original lightning hit and won't work. COM2 may still be disabled in BIOS.

[Linked Image]
RUSS K. Offline OP
OP Offline
Hi RBF. It is the factory box. I was in BIOS on Friday looking for the com ports and couldn't find them. Must have missed it. This is a replacment com/serial board from 2years ago. But I will be going back again in a few days, and will check.

RUSS K.
In the earlier voicemails the com ports were under chipset features. Also if your voicemail has a modem card in it you have to physically remove the card if you want to enable com 2. In the Chipset features Com 2 should be set for Com 2/2F8.

RUSS K. Offline OP
OP Offline
Thought I would let you know, I fixed it today. In the Bios, the 2 on-board com ports were still active, and there was a base address conflict. Don't know how it worked for 1.5 years, and I don't remember what I had to do to get the new card to work, but I disabled the com 1 & 2 in the Bios, and then set the ports on the new card to manufacturer default, and all is now good.

Thanks for your help.

RUSS K.

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Statistics
Forums84
Topics94,294
Posts638,835
Members49,769
Most Online5,661
May 23rd, 2018
Popular Topics(Views)
212,635 Shoretel
189,520 CTX100 install
187,779 1a2 system
Newest Members
Soulece, Robbks, A2A Networks, James D., Nadisale
49,768 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
Toner 24
teleco 9
dans 5
dexman 4
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 128 guests, and 338 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Contact Us | Sponsored by Atcom: One of the best VoIP Phone Canada Suppliers for your business telephone system!| Terms of Service

Sundance Communications is not affiliated with any of the above manufacturers. Sundance Phone System Forums - VOIP & Cloud Phone Help
©Copyright Sundance Communications 1998-2024