web statisticsweb stats Business Phone Systems Tech Talk Forum - VOIP & Cloud Phone Help

Business Phone Systems

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#41648 10/30/09 08:27 AM
chazrc Offline OP
OP Offline
Customer is complaining of low volume on conference calls on DX-120 with PRI.

Carrier said are getting a bunch of errors that BlackBox/Level3 think is caused by poor quality signal from the DX-120.

Anyway to boost the volumes on this issue?

Thanks

Atcom VoIP Phones
VoIP Demo

Best VoIP Phones Canada

Visit Atcom to get started with your new business VoIP phone system ASAP
Turn up is quick, painless, and can often be done same day.
Let us show you how to do VoIP right, resulting in crystal clear call quality and easy-to-use features that make everyone happy!
Proudly serving Canada from coast to coast.

#41649 10/30/09 11:09 AM
Moderator-Allworx, Nisuko-Tie, Vodavi
Moderator-Allworx, Nisuko-Tie, Vodavi
In the T-1 padding section---RX Gain & TX Gain you can make changes. I've fooled around with this thing on a few DX120s --but I really haven't had too much luck.

Overall, I would say that the Conferencing feature just doesn't work with the PRI. I'd like to see you try some things---maybe it would work for you---but I've more or less given up on the feature---so have my customers.

Before the PRI, they had Centrex lines and used the Conference on the lines---they loved it. It was a real bummer for them to "upgrade" to a PRI. But they do like all the DIDs. Maybe someone else has some ideas. I'm done.

#41650 10/30/09 02:27 PM
I've yet to see anything that can beat centrex conferencing.

#41651 10/31/09 12:26 AM
chazrc Offline OP
OP Offline
Thanks. This site was fine until they decided to go with the PRI card in the cabinet.

#41652 10/31/09 12:27 AM
chazrc Offline OP
OP Offline
I will make a couple attempts at it, but might recommend goimg back to loop starts, or get off that system.

#41653 10/31/09 06:32 AM
Retired Moderator
Retired Moderator
Conferencing is absolutely perfect with the PRI. It's impossible for the parties to even tell they are in a conference. It's the same with off net call forwarding, you call in and it instantly transfers with absolutely no drop in volume nor delay in forwarding.

Chances are the LEC has some configuration issues with the PRI. If they are receiving errors then THEY have something set up incorrectly or the PRI circuit has noise. If you haven't done so upgrade the cabinet to F20 or F22 and PRI firmware to F05 or later although it won't do anything for this issue. I have probably a dozen DX-120s running F17 with PRI firmware of F01 and have never experienced this (or any other) issue. I ALWAYS have my LEC do at least a 72 hour monitor for errors and have never had an issue with any version of software or firmware. I also insure that NO PRI is on a softswitch. In all cases my PRIs are behind a #5ESS or DMS100. The sole volume issue I've ever had has been one location where the voicemail sounds like it's padded maybe -6db. It's not been much of a problem so I've never looked in to it.

Out of 35+ PRI installs I've never had a faulty card but I did have one cabinet where the clocking was messed up. You might replace your cabinet but you would have many more problems than just low volume if this were the case.

Make sure to check your xmit and rx volumes. I had one cabinet that was set at -12 at default for some reason. Also check and make sure your LEC is configured NI2, B8ZS, ESF. They may have you configured as type A #4E or #5E instead of NI2. Your caller ID and DNIS routing will also act flaky if they are providing the wrong format. Don't forget to make sure you programmed ESF instead of SF. I'm convinced by your post that they have something misconfigured. As far as I know the PRI card is not going to send them spurious or erratic errors, it either works or it doesn't.

We now try to install all DX-120 systems exclusively using PRI, it's that good. Right now is a good time to put a dozen or so PRI cards on your shelf, there's special pricing on the cards. If you have the rates we have in Kansas City for PRI circuits ($299-$350 for a full) it's an extremely economical option for your customer.

Keep us posted. I'm going to bet it's a LEC issue if you have everything correctly programmed.

#41654 10/31/09 06:33 AM
Retired Moderator
Retired Moderator
By the way, did you reinitialize the cabinet when you installed the PRI card? ALWAYS reinitialize any TECOM system if you add or subtract any cards.

#41655 10/31/09 07:10 AM
chazrc Offline OP
OP Offline
Thanks for all the helpful information. And yes, they are using a softswitch for the PRI. This has been a source of contention with us since the beginning. I will test all these items and get back to the forum.

The first thing we noticed when they signed on with this carrier was the overall quality of call sounded weak. And then there is the popping noise since day one.

Chaz

#41656 10/31/09 03:17 PM
Retired Moderator
Retired Moderator
Is it a dynamic PRI also? If so you're a dead duck. I have yet to see a PRI operate reliably behind a softswitch, at least from ANY vendor in Kansas City.

We tell our customers if they purchase PRI service from any vendor other than what we approve of we are not liable in any way shape or form for it's operation. We will not sell a PRI card to any customer with any phone system unless they use our approved vendors. I don't need the aggravation nor do I wish to catch all the blame from the LEC and customer when it doesn't work properly.

Good luck, the two times this happened to me the softswitch carrier ultimately was shown the door after nasty legal threats (multi year contracts). Fortunately for both of my customers they already had the PRI circuit with another vendor that worked perfectly. This made it a bit difficult for the new vendor when they swore up and down to both customers that their equipment was faulty.

#41657 10/31/09 04:03 PM
Moderator-Comdial, ESI, Voicemail, Cisco
Moderator-Comdial, ESI, Voicemail, Cisco
Popping is usually an indication of slips or timing issues, isn't it?

Justin

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Statistics
Forums84
Topics94,262
Posts638,697
Members49,757
Most Online5,661
May 23rd, 2018
Popular Topics(Views)
211,109 Shoretel
187,715 CTX100 install
186,806 1a2 system
Newest Members
BPopilek, Rich F, LewisR, TDKs79, Buttinset
49,757 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
dexman 18
Toner 11
TDKs79 7
pvj 4
jc2it 4
Who's Online Now
1 members (Curlycord), 183 guests, and 408 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Contact Us | Sponsored by Atcom: One of the best VoIP Phone Canada Suppliers for your business telephone system!| Terms of Service

Sundance Communications is not affiliated with any of the above manufacturers. Sundance Phone System Forums - VOIP & Cloud Phone Help
©Copyright Sundance Communications 1998-2024