web statisticsweb stats Business Phone Systems Tech Talk Forum - VOIP & Cloud Phone Help

Business Phone Systems

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
#423032 03/02/05 09:39 AM
OP Offline
For the third time in as many years my Cadence Voicemail hard drive has failed. The last two times the local installer has brought out a hard drive and loaded an image on the drive and left behind his $500 invoice.

I'm sick of it! Who can assist me in loading an image on my hard drive. I have tested it to verify nothing is physically wrong with the drive.

This is a 50Si Voice Card 4 Ports

Atcom VoIP Phones
VoIP Demo

Best VoIP Phones Canada

Visit Atcom to get started with your new business VoIP phone system ASAP
Turn up is quick, painless, and can often be done same day.
Let us show you how to do VoIP right, resulting in crystal clear call quality and easy-to-use features that make everyone happy!
Proudly serving Canada from coast to coast.

Well I can't help you load software on your hard drive. But I can advise you to upgrade to the newer voicemail. Probably not what you want to hear.I've installed quite a few of cadence's and have encountered lots of problems. Hard drive failures to software corruptions. Even if you could get your hands on the software you still may have future problems. I can't think of any version of cadence that did not have some type of bug. Samsung also dicontinued cadence a while ago. Like they gave up on it! You said on two other occasions this happened and you had a 500$ invoice. So that makes 1000$ , just a little more and you could have had a new voice mail. In my opinion I would not waste time nor money on the cadence...Upgrade!

[This message has been edited by clgjr (edited March 02, 2005).]

Something else to consider hard drives have moving parts and are prone to fail. Were flash drives or smart media have no moving parts ie less prone to fail oh and I sell samsung and I must tell you that not one of there voice mail systems goes with out a failure even the touted svmi16e (you are the only one having this trouble is a standard responce). Dont get me wrong I like there systems but the vm's suck. and there are alternatives out there like TVM but keep in mind the integration is not as good on non samsung vm's so you gain some and you loose some.

Just my 2 cents

------------------
Altcomm @ A.S.E Inc

OP Offline
We are trying to 'look' at the software on the drive and see if anything corrupt can be repaired. Any tricks to this? Like I said, the physical drive checks out based on the diagnostic checks provided by the drive manufacture.

Am I entitled to keep a copy of the software on a piece of archival media to restore from when this type of issue happens? If so, where do I receive this media from?

pvj Offline
Moderator-Executone-Isoetec, Samsung
I'm sure the image that was loaded was just your customer specific info.
Remember that the voicemails use laptop harddrives which probably aren't built to withstand the constant "on" usage that they have to endure.I must say that 3 in 3 years seems a little odd.I have replaced most customers 1 time but not again since.I find they last about 3-4 years.Now I really only sell the Flash based units as I hate the inevitable hardrive failures.
As mentioned for not that much more than a Cadence harddrive you could get a 4 port SVMi-4E flash based system as long as you don't need the 100+ hours a harddrive will get you.1 more note the Cadence harddrive prices increased Feb.1 of this year.

[This message has been edited by pvj (edited March 03, 2005).]

OP Offline
How much should I expect to pay for a hard drive loaded with the software, and how soon can it be shipped to me?

Are any of you dealers able to do this for us?

OP Offline
Should the Hard Drive light go on or blink when the reset button is pressed or when power is applied to the system (cold boot)?

At this time all I get is a red/orange run light and no hard drive light.

pvj Offline
Have you tried hooking up a terminal to the serial port?Maybe your harddrive isn't bad.
There are 2 led's on the front of the cadence.
The ACT LED
Steady red cadence software not running
Off Cadence software running no calls in progress
Steady Green One or more calls in progress
Flashing Green Cadence software is booting up

The HDD LED should flash green whenever a harddrive is accessed.

OP Offline
So if all I get is a red light for RUN, then my software is not running.

If I hook up a terminal connection to my serial port, what are the settings, and what should I expect to see when connected?

pvj Offline
Yes but a red run light can also be a hard drive.Can you hear the hard drive when it first starts to boot up?A bad drive is usually silent because the motor is shot or they click.
With a terminal connected,you would see the boot up process.I think the cable is a db9-db9 staright through cable.Use hyperterminal to connect I think its just 9600 8N1.

Moderated by  nameless, pvj 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Statistics
Forums84
Topics94,262
Posts638,696
Members49,757
Most Online5,661
May 23rd, 2018
Popular Topics(Views)
211,098 Shoretel
187,707 CTX100 install
186,794 1a2 system
Newest Members
BPopilek, Rich F, LewisR, TDKs79, Buttinset
49,757 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
dexman 18
Toner 14
TDKs79 8
teleco 4
Who's Online Now
1 members (Toner), 124 guests, and 238 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Contact Us | Sponsored by Atcom: One of the best VoIP Phone Canada Suppliers for your business telephone system!| Terms of Service

Sundance Communications is not affiliated with any of the above manufacturers. Sundance Phone System Forums - VOIP & Cloud Phone Help
©Copyright Sundance Communications 1998-2024