web statisticsweb stats Business Phone Systems Tech Talk Forum - VOIP & Cloud Phone Help

Business Phone Systems

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#435843 12/22/09 01:52 AM
OP Offline
I've been working away at this one for a couple months now. Maybe someone on here will have an idea or similar experience.

Problem: Phones freeze. When unplugged and reconnected they remain locked to the start up screen. To correct this we have been abandoning the port, and reconfiguring another to take the identity of that station, however this problem continues to happen at random, with no particular order to the ports or slots.

Initial Programming on September 24th 2009:
During the initial programming of the system Slot 2 was empty and that card was in Slot 3. In Slot 3 both ports 9 & 13 dropped. When I restarted the system they returned, however dropped again within a couple hours. We tried swapping cards between Slots 3 & 5, however the problem still occurred on the same ports in the same slot. We then abandoned Slot 3 and moved that card to Slot 2. That seemed to fix the problem.

System Installation on September 25th:
While installing the new system extension 290 (Slot 5, Port 5) dropped. We swapped the port to Port 15 on the same card.

September 28th:
Called back to the location to touch up some programming. Over the weekend more phones had dropped, including extension 286 (Slot 5, Port 1).

September 30th:
Called Tech support for assistance since more phones had dropped. I was advised to Restart the system and let it run in default to see if the problem was in the programming. The problem usually takes roughly 2-3 hours before it happens and I could not wait that long since this was over a lunch hour at a medical centre that has 7 doctors. So I uploaded the database after 40 minutes so they could carry on about their work.

September 30th – November 5th:
At this time the following Ports had gone bad:
· X290-Slot 5, port 5 moved to S5, P15
· X286-Slot 5, port 1 moved to S5, P14
· X223-Slot 4, port 5 moved to S5, P13
· X223-Slot 5, port 13 moved to S5, P12
· X278-Slot 4, port 13 moved to S5, P11

November 5th:
Went to the location after hours and reprogrammed the system accordingly.

November 11th:
Returned to make a programming change to the incoming ringing. I made no uploads to the system, only a backup download saved as a new file. Later that day both extensions 290 & 286 (Slot 5, ports 5 & 1) had dropped. Went after hours to resolve the issue.

November 13th
Extension 223 down. Moved from Slot 4, port 5 to Slot 5, port 12.

November 19th
Extension 278 down (Slot 4, port 13). Moved to Slot 5, Port 11.

November 23rd
Removed MP20 and replaced with a MPC card which includes a new software card as well. Uploaded database and system is functioning fine. No additional programming required (THANK GOD!)

November 30th
Returned to fix a problem with loud ‘crackle’ on line 1. Performed many tests to verify that the problem is in the system (including: removing all connections from the telco demarcation, removing any other connections to line 1, 1 by 1 and swapping telco lines between ports, problem stayed in that port). The ‘crackle’ is only heard by a user of a Samsung phone (all phones), not by the caller and can only be heard through a Samsung set. To rectify the issue I have moved Trunk 701 from Slot 1, Port 1 to Slot 1, Port 16 and made the appropriate programming changes.

December 14th
Replaced Line Card with a new 16 Trunk line Card and made programming changes so that Line 1 is on Port 1 (Slot 1). Problem still occurred. Removed the new line card and re-installed the existing line card, making changes so that Line 1 uses port 16.

Customer is also having difficulty with quality of their headsets. Particularly a Plantronics M22 amp with headset. I have adjusted settings every which way possible. This is also the 3rd headset & amp configuration that we have tried there. We may try yet another headset & amp however I’m beginning to believe that it may be the hunk of junk known as the 7200.

To anyone who actually took the time to read all of this, I say thank-you very much for your time!

Atcom VoIP Phones
VoIP Demo

Best VoIP Phones Canada

Visit Atcom to get started with your new business VoIP phone system ASAP
Turn up is quick, painless, and can often be done same day.
Let us show you how to do VoIP right, resulting in crystal clear call quality and easy-to-use features that make everyone happy!
Proudly serving Canada from coast to coast.

#435844 12/22/09 02:14 AM
So.. the questions I have may not help but they are worth asking. I know you have talked with tech support but they can not diagnose wire troubles. Have you tested the wiring for faults, partial shorts or ambient voltages yet?

We have had one system that acted similar. But it was in a high voltage electronics location. We found that cleaning up some wiring and replacing the cards made a huge difference.

Oh and your second to last sentence was not necessary. It may be a problem on your system but not everyone that owns a 7200 has issues like these. :thumb:

#435845 12/22/09 04:54 AM
There was a problem with 16 port dig extn cards do you think it might be the same problem

#435846 12/22/09 08:44 AM
The one thing it doesn't look like you've tried is changing out the actual cabinet. I had an OS7200 that had a bad cabinet that caused all kinds of weird problems.

I would suggest going in after hours and putting in a new cabinet. I'm really surprised tech support did not suggest this. Do you receive tech support directly from Samsung or from your distributor?

Oh and your second to last sentence was not necessary. It may be a problem on your system but not everyone that owns a 7200 has issues like these.

Agreed. Most people here are either Samsung techs or actual owners that have the Samsung line, so throwing out comments like that won't gain you a lot of help.

#435847 12/22/09 09:56 AM
OP Offline
Thanks everyone for replying.

I haven't tested the wiring too much since the system we replaced was our installation and
still operating. I also didn't think that would've been the problem since this trouble occured during the initial configuration in our office before being connected to lines (I don't think I did mention that above). I do also have the system well grounded.

The Cabinet is actually what I have wanted to replace from the beginning however we are a small company and order the systems from a distributer who deals direct with Samsung. So I speak to them and then they speak to Samsung. Neither us or our distributer can afford to replace the entire system and be left with this one. We are going through the steps according to Samsung's word. I'm hoping their next step is to send a cabinet since the problem continues to occur after virtually all cards have been replaced.

I have also heard that their is a small batch of bad 16trk cards out there and I am also looking into that. However this 'bug' seems to travel around the system.

I apologize if anyone was offended by my 'hunk of junk' comment. I suppose it was a prejudice opinion since this is the only 7200 I have dealt with. I have installed several 7100's that operate fine. They have taken a little getting used to figuring out the little quirks, but I've got it down and like it. What is posted is a "journal of events" I've been keeping for my contact. My harsh comment about the system is strictly due to the frustration of losing time and money while getting little help from a massive company. A company that I'm sure could afford to ship out an entirely new system and deal with the problem themselves. This system never worked from the beginning & they've expected me to perform tests that leave the customer with no phones. I'm sure I installed the one of the few lemons out of the whole patch. Luckily the customer has been very patient.

#435848 12/22/09 10:03 AM
I can understand your frustration.

When I suggested changing out the cabinet, I meant just the physical cabinet and not the cards.

You stated you discovered this problem before the system was installed. You need to push your distributor for an advance replacement. With an advance replacement, they send you a new cabinet and you send them back the old cabinet. This costs you nothing.

#435849 12/22/09 12:20 PM
I would make sure your distributor opens up a trouble ticket with Samsung and conference you in. In particular I would make sure your firmware is 5.1 or above on the processor. Been down this road a few time believe me.

#435850 12/22/09 12:34 PM
I believe the OP stated he is now using an MCP. The firmware issue only applies to MP20's.

#435851 12/22/09 11:43 PM
When he replaced the MP20 on November 23rd that cleared up his extension problem. You need to send the MP 20 in for repair to get the firmware updated to 5.1 I second the suggestion to replace the cabinet.

#435852 12/23/09 02:46 AM
OP Offline
Yeah I agree with you guys. My distributor I guess couldn't front the cash to replace the whole system right off the bat and has gone through the motions of individual components with the aid of Samsung's tech support. We should be giving them a little more of a push for a cabinet. I keep telling them but I believe they are sending 1 more Processor, then a cabinet.

I have been conferenced once back in October and a ticket was open and already closed (since we thought we got it at one point).

I'm not sure what the firmware was for the MP20.

Thanks again to everyone for taking the time to reply to my issue. I definitely have the reinforcement that it is likely a problem with the cabinet. The cards move around and the problem stays in the same locations. Who knows, there could be a tiny piece of lint of a hair somewhere in the cabinet. Right now at least the system is functioning fine with Line 1 on port 16.

Anyone know that scene in Office Space with copier?

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  nameless, pvj 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Statistics
Forums84
Topics94,262
Posts638,693
Members49,757
Most Online5,661
May 23rd, 2018
Popular Topics(Views)
211,097 Shoretel
187,703 CTX100 install
186,792 1a2 system
Newest Members
BPopilek, Rich F, LewisR, TDKs79, Buttinset
49,757 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
dexman 18
Toner 14
TDKs79 8
Who's Online Now
1 members (Curlycord), 86 guests, and 248 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Contact Us | Sponsored by Atcom: One of the best VoIP Phone Canada Suppliers for your business telephone system!| Terms of Service

Sundance Communications is not affiliated with any of the above manufacturers. Sundance Phone System Forums - VOIP & Cloud Phone Help
©Copyright Sundance Communications 1998-2024