web statisticsweb stats Business Phone Systems Tech Talk Forum - VOIP & Cloud Phone Help

Business Phone Systems

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
OP Offline
Earlier this year the power went out for two days and when it came back on our DCS Compact had lost every single setting and voicemail. With a little help from the experts here I got everything working again. Our power went out again and I have the same problem. I was able to get everything back to normal except the Voice Mail. I have all the VM/AA ports set (not sure if 213 and 214 are part of the card) and I have them all set in the 529 station group. When you call in, you get the proper voice mail recording, and then "forwarding to extension 500". It then rings the phones again and goes into a loop. The last time I finally discovered that while the SVMI had kept all the station voicemails, it had not created a box for 500. Creating the box solved the problem. This time the 500 mailbox seems to exist (and there's no ability to delete or recreate it in the VM Admin). I also can't remember what "Next Port" I had in the operator group. I've tried both 529 and 209.

Also, how can we stop the system from losing the data every time the power goes out? It only started happening this year so I'm assuming there's some battery backup, flash chip, or other part that's worn out. Is there something we can buy to fix this? We're probably going to be getting something else soon but until then I've got to try to keep it working.

Atcom VoIP Phones
VoIP Demo

Best VoIP Phones Canada

Visit Atcom to get started with your new business VoIP phone system ASAP
Turn up is quick, painless, and can often be done same day.
Let us show you how to do VoIP right, resulting in crystal clear call quality and easy-to-use features that make everyone happy!
Proudly serving Canada from coast to coast.

Power failure can be solved with a battery back up on the system. Or you can have a tech come in and change the ram card built in power pack.

The voicemail needs to be administered through hyperterminal. It is not suggested to use group 500 with the svmi4 voicemail. you should try using 501 and set up overflow to 529 not one of the extensions. :thumb:

OP Offline
We have an external battery backup but it runs out if the power's out for more than a few hours. There's a cartridge inside that says Backup and the red LED is blinking rapidly.

I tried changing all stations and trunks to 501 and next port 529 but the only thing that did was to stop the ringing when it forwards to 500 and gets stuck in a loop. I wish I could remember what I did to fix it the last time. I distinctly remember having to create a 500 mailbox through the VMADMIN button but this time around if I type in 500 in Subscriber Information it just asks me if I want to delete it (which doesn't work). There's probably something else I did that I just can't remember. The individual station voicemails work now that I've changed forwarding on busy/no answer to 529 but not the 500 mailbox. I'll have to see if I can find a laptop with a serial port but after reading the SVMI manual I don't see what setting I would have to change if I can get into the terminal.

There's a cartridge inside that says Backup and the red LED is blinking rapidly.

You will need a Samsung dealer to get one of these and replace it the blinking red LED is normal.

OK So your obviously stuck on the mail box 500 thing. So I am going to advise you as to why we do not use 500 and its mailbox. But first you need to set up the lines to ring group 501 during the day mode.

Just FYI but the manual you have does have the mmc's you feel are missing because the system at that time did not use or need them. With the advent of the 50si and the 100 came more mmc's specific to them and other newer systems. You need the correct manual for your system if you can find it.

Now back to your issues. The svmi4 has a problem with making a 500 box or deleting it. As you have found out. But if you insist on doing this your way. You need to program the voicemail with hyperterminal. No if's and's or but's about it.

Assuming you are were your ip says you are. There are several dealers in your area that you can contact.

Happy hunting.

OP Offline
Not really stuck on it so much as trying to figure out how to fix it without having to hook up to the serial port - the phone system is in an inconvenient area to move a desktop there and laptops don't have serial ports anymore. I'll have to find my USB to serial adapter, though the last time I tried to hook up to old hardware with a USB to parallel adapter it refused to work properly. I do remember it was 500 before, so that's what the original tech set it up as. It was also set to forward to a station so we'd see the blinking light when we got messages.

I don't think I said anything about missing MMCs, just that I wasn't quite sure what to change in the SVMI terminal. I do have a manual for the DCS Compact but many of the MMCs are wrong or mislabeled (VM Card Reset is ten higher than the actual number and the one to enable CID on the trunks is labeled something completely different), it's probably for a different OS version. Right now we changed the VM message to tell people to dial a station extension so it goes to the VM for that station. I'm going to wait and see if we're going to keep the phone system or just go to a regular phone and answering machine when we move the office. If we do it'll definitely be worth it to have someone come out and replace that backup card and fix all the other little things that didn't get configured properly.

Thanks for all your help.

If we do it'll definitely be worth it to have someone come out and replace that backup card and fix all the other little things that didn't get configured properly. :thumb:

You should be able to get some instruction from that dealer as well. The system you have is a very solid system and would be worth investing in a short service call to get it working properly.

With the problem concerning the manual and MMC's not lining up, you either have the wrong manual or the system is set for a country other than USA.

Many of these were originally set-up with the 500 mail box. We also found this to be a problem with customers that have power issues. Follow what WRichey tells you on this issue.

The forwarding to a station is a message waiting key on the phone set to the 500 box. The voice mail programming does not use the MMC's like the system does. With the exception of the 7xx ones (i believe there are two).

Snap you have a UK manual not a US manual. The DCS compact here is not the same as the compact in the UK. The UK version is a 50si here.

The reason the 500 box is what you remember is like you said because the installer set it up that way. He may not have been as knowledgeable as he should have been on the svmi4. Thats not to say he didn't know his job. Just that the svmi4 was short lived.

So basically what is happening is callers were hearing a mailbox greeting. Not the main greeting that they should have from the "day main menu". Its an easy work around but not really what I would do.

The usb dongle needs to match the speeds exactly for the voicemail. Try 38400, then 19200 and the worst case would be 9600. But it should work fine I have had the same issue in the past. But I found that the radio shack version has not failed me yet.

Moderated by  nameless, pvj 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Statistics
Forums84
Topics94,262
Posts638,693
Members49,757
Most Online5,661
May 23rd, 2018
Popular Topics(Views)
211,098 Shoretel
187,703 CTX100 install
186,793 1a2 system
Newest Members
BPopilek, Rich F, LewisR, TDKs79, Buttinset
49,757 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
dexman 18
Toner 14
TDKs79 8
Who's Online Now
1 members (Curlycord), 104 guests, and 236 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Contact Us | Sponsored by Atcom: One of the best VoIP Phone Canada Suppliers for your business telephone system!| Terms of Service

Sundance Communications is not affiliated with any of the above manufacturers. Sundance Phone System Forums - VOIP & Cloud Phone Help
©Copyright Sundance Communications 1998-2024