web statisticsweb stats

Business Phone Systems

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
OP Offline
...it's not a good idea to drywall right over the 66 block.

But don't worry, this is the same house where Verizon installed a NID without bothering to ground it (!!) and just cut the aerial cable where it went into the house and connected that to the customer side of the NID.

Then someone cut those cables inside what would be the basement ceiling, removed them from the circa-1945 protector and nailed a 2x4 over them. At least they were kind enough to run a 4-pair cat3 from the 66 block, and the 1945 protector, and something newer that looks like it dates back to 1975 (with the hex-head fuses, I think), through the basement ceiling (carefully placed between the floor joists and the drywall..guess they had no drill?) and out the side of the house opposite where the Verizon NID currently is.

I think their idea was to get Verizon to move the NID to that side of the house..a good one, considering the electric and cable TV services are connected to that side of the house, and the ground is right there..except they overlooked that before selling the house.

What a mess. I ran a cable along side the house from where the NID is now to the cat3 cable hanging out of the other side and told my friend to call Verizon to get them to move the NID, and oh, maybe hook a ground wire up to it while they're at it...

Sheesh, what a mess.

I installed an access panel in the basement ceiling to cover the hole I made. It looks very nice.

Atcom VoIP Phones
VoIP Demo

Best VoIP Phones Canada

Visit Atcom to get started with your new business VoIP phone system ASAP
Turn up is quick, painless, and can often be done same day.
Let us show you how to do VoIP right, resulting in crystal clear call quality and easy-to-use features that make everyone happy!
Proudly serving Canada from coast to coast.

Anyone who'd finish a basement with out removable tile or suspend ceiling is nuts to begin with.

I had a very similar problem, fortunately the home owner remembered where he'd cover it up and cut it out for me.

Retired phone dude
Moderator-Comdial
Moderator-Comdial
What's a basement? laugh

Anyone who'd finish a basement with out removable tile or suspend ceiling is nuts to begin with.

Yeah, well the DIYs and professionals alike are all nuts. I get them where they rock right over the porcelain bulb sockets then smear a heavy texture all over the ceiling. The lightbulbs now screw into the ceiling...

I've seen what you are talking about. Older houses here had the protectors screwed to the joists in the basement. Basement gets "finished" as above. Now all you see is the aerial drop going into the house someplace on the outside. When I get a call to trouble shoot, sometimes the protector has been hit, sometimes something else. If I can't find the problem with my "little saw" in a few minutes they are advised that the whole house will need to be rewired.

-Hal

CALIFORNIA PROPOSITION 65 WARNING: Some comments made by me are known to the State of California to cause irreversible brain damage and serious mental disorders leading to confinement.
Underground wire toner might do the trick. Course i'm not sure everyone has one laying around the truck.

Believe me, I've tried. It just bleeds all over, even to the electrical wiring. I just love to use my "little saw" on these people.

-Hal

CALIFORNIA PROPOSITION 65 WARNING: Some comments made by me are known to the State of California to cause irreversible brain damage and serious mental disorders leading to confinement.
Moderator-Nortel, Computers, General
Moderator-Nortel, Computers, General
Had someone call once for a couple of jacks. Get there & she doesn't want to see 1" of wire.

Her brother (who's a contractor) had finished the basement, gyproc everywhere. Hid the protector in the ceiling somewhere & he even covered the electrical panel leaving only enough room open to flick the breakers on & off.

Told her that was illegal and I don't work miracles. She never called back.

Dave

Scientists say that the universe is made up of Protons, Neutron & Electrons. They forgot "Morons".
Dave. (CTUB) Canadian Techs Use Bix!
OP Offline
I was able to use a toner to find the 66 block. I was quite amazed about that.

Yea, someone also sheetrocked right over a light bulb socket in the laundry room, too.

well people use sheetrock to cover mistakes and bury the past, one place i was working in was offices in a larger building, they were renovating and pulled down a sheetrock ceiling, behind that ceiling were vestiges of the buildings former past as a grocery store. 10 feet!! above the sheetrock was a suspended ceiling and intact 4 tube 8 foot long flourescent lights, for the fun of it i put my meter on the lights and found they were still powered, they probably sheetrocked the ceiling with those old lights turned on and they eventually burnt out in thier tombs

Jay, a recovering IT guy
That's Spooky!

Trump 2020
Proud 1 star member.
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Silversam 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Statistics
Forums84
Topics94,282
Posts638,760
Members49,764
Most Online5,661
May 23rd, 2018
Popular Topics(Views)
211,432 Shoretel
188,226 CTX100 install
187,069 1a2 system
Newest Members
Nadisale, andreww, gohunt, Darrick, telecopippo
49,764 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
Toner 22
teleco 6
dexman 4
jc2it 4
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 100 guests, and 121 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Contact Us | Sponsored by Atcom: One of the best VoIP Phone Canada Suppliers for your business telephone system!| Terms of Service

Sundance Communications is not affiliated with any of the above manufacturers. Sundance Phone System Forums - VOIP & Cloud Phone Help
©Copyright Sundance Communications 1998-2024