Business Phone Systems

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#447435 12/07/07 02:48 AM
OP Offline
I have been working off and on with one project for around 8 months now. Someone here decided it would be a good idea to relocate one of our network closets as part of a renovation. Of course I was told about it after the plans were drawn up and approved, so the project goes on. This closet happens to be one of the largest we have and had around 850 connections in it. I won’t mention the other 6 telecomm closets that feed the rest of that 4 story building that we had to redo as well.

To my question.

The last part closet relocation, I am going to have to feed the cables about 10 to 12 feet up next to the ceiling. These are going to be in the way of phase 2 of this project that is due for demo within a couple of months. I need to find some sort of J hook or loops that I can use to hold around 200 cables to the ceiling and keep them out of harms way. Have you guys used anything like this or have any ideas how to support these from a concrete ceiling??

Thanks in advance for you help and suggestions.

Mike Jones
"A people that values its privileges above its principles soon loses both."
- Dwight D. Eisenhower (1890-1969), Inaugural Address, January 20, 1953
Atcom VoIP Phones
VoIP Demo

Best VoIP Phones Canada

Visit Atcom to get started with your new business VoIP phone system ASAP
Turn up is quick, painless, and can often be done same day.
Let us show you how to do VoIP right, resulting in crystal clear call quality and easy-to-use features that make everyone happy!
Proudly serving Canada from coast to coast.

Hilti makes a threaded anchor, you drill a hole in the concrete ceiling, push the anchor in, and when you thread in to it, it expands and grabs.

As far as holding the cable up, bridle rings. I know they are available in different diameters, I think Caddy is the manufacturer.

A Google search for bridle rings shows them by Caddy and B-Line.
https://www.electrical-supply.net/category.asp_Q_parentID_E_290

Another option, with the cable quantity you stated, is "Distribution Rings". The squared off metal doodads, two screws hold them in.
https://www.electrical-supply.net/category.asp_Q_parentid_E_325_A_subcatid_E_352

it's all tip and ring
How about the anchor Frank_DaFoneguy mentioned in the concrete, a piece of threaded rod with a jamnut against the anchor and then at the bottom end a 4" J-hook made for threaded rod mounting (BCH64-AB)?

BCH64-AB can be found here:
https://www.b-line.com/pdf/Flyers/BA96F.pdf

OP Offline
The J Hooks with and without the all thread may be just the ticket for this one guys. Thanks for pointing me in the right direction.

I thought about the D rings, but I think they will end up damaging the cables unless we are really careful. I think the hooks will be a little easier to work with. I like the bridle rings too. I may a sample of both and compare. Thanks again guys.

Mike Jones
"A people that values its privileges above its principles soon loses both."
- Dwight D. Eisenhower (1890-1969), Inaugural Address, January 20, 1953
https://www.erico.com/public/library/engineering/fixing/electrical/cat425multiple.pdf

I dont prefer hooks for 200 cables. Too much weight and crush point is very small. With these you can remove them when you are done. Or maybe you should consider a wire cable tray

KLD Offline
Mr. Richey is correct....the J hook will cause too much compression....tray is the way. You get on an average of 34 Cat 5 cables (depending on manufacturer) per square inch of coverage. So how many inches do you have?

Ken
---------
Depending on your budget, these would take care of the support and weight problem, plus would be easy to reuse or move. May be pretty good for what you're doing.

Retired phone dude
You could use j-hooked and only have ~30 cables in each one... Cat 21's work great for that... anything over 30 and it's like Ken said. Downside is you need 7 j-hooks to carry 200 cables... or a tray...

I would use the Hilti anchors, and suspend threaded rod. Then attach Kindorf and create a tray.

https://tnbelectricalworld.tnb.com/ps/con/contractor.cgi?a=cbrands&bid=107

Arthur P. Bloom
"30 years of faithful service...15 years on hold"

They do make a bracket that holds several J-Hooks and is attached to a beam clamp.
https://www.erico.com/products/CADDYcfcAFAB-CATHBA.asp

Jeff Moss

Moss Communications
Computer Repair-Networking-Cabling
MBSWWYPBX, JGAE
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Silversam 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Statistics
Forums84
Topics94,299
Posts638,873
Members49,770
Most Online5,661
May 23rd, 2018
Popular Topics(Views)
212,737 Shoretel
189,804 CTX100 install
187,939 1a2 system
Newest Members
Dave Simmons, Soulece, Robbks, A2A Networks, James D.
49,769 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
Toner 25
teleco 9
dans 6
dexman 4
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 128 guests, and 307 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Contact Us | Sponsored by Atcom: One of the best VoIP Phone Canada Suppliers for your business telephone system!| Terms of Service

Sundance Communications is not affiliated with any of the above manufacturers. Sundance Phone System Forums - VOIP & Cloud Phone Help
©Copyright Sundance Communications 1998-2024