web statisticsweb stats Business Phone Systems Tech Talk Forum - VOIP & Cloud Phone Help

Business Phone Systems

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
OP Offline
I will be pulling 12 strands of singlemode fiber, a CAT3 50 pair, and (HERE IS THE QUESTION), probably PowerSum CAT5 25-pair (2) from the server room on the 21st floor of a high rise into the MPOE which is in the parking structure. It is for a "convenience" block for the customer who wants the service providers to use the new cable for their data circuits instead of the house riser cable. I have seen this issue debated here many times. If the PowerSum is going to be for several T-1 lines, and the NIU's and channel banks are in the MPOE, is there a real benefit to CAT5 over CAT 3? And why or why not? The customer wants identical patch panels on both ends, and then we will just connect to his routers in the server room. Thanks in advance.

Atcom VoIP Phones
VoIP Demo

Best VoIP Phones Canada

Visit Atcom to get started with your new business VoIP phone system ASAP
Turn up is quick, painless, and can often be done same day.
Let us show you how to do VoIP right, resulting in crystal clear call quality and easy-to-use features that make everyone happy!
Proudly serving Canada from coast to coast.

Moderator-Avaya-Lucent, Antique Tele
Moderator-Avaya-Lucent, Antique Tele
There is no benefit of Cat-5 over Cat-3 for extending T1. In fact, for that distance (and you should check to be sure that you are not over distance), it would be beter to separate the Transmits from the Receives, or run individual shielded "T1" cable for each circuit.

It's a great "form-factor" to have matching patch-panels at each end; a T1 patches from the NIU to a port at the MPOE, and shows up on the matching port in the server room. BUT, since T1 uses 1/2 and 4/5, half of every 4-pair Cat-5 bundle is unused.

Did the customer spec. what is to be pulled? That may settle the issue as to what you install, but leave a pull string for future!!

Moderator-Toshiba
Moderator-Toshiba
Absolutely, what TouchToneTommy said... for any distance, Cat5, would not be better.

Cat5 is specifically made for faster speeds, over shorter distances.

If they absolutely didn't want to purchase T-1 spec cable (individually shielded Tx & Rx), then the best answer is to separate the Tx & Rx... all Tx on one feeder and all Rx on another, but that is doing it the wrong way.

You should just tell the customer, if the want it done... they will have it done right the first time. The cost savings will be recouped in avoiding multiple future service calls.

For reference, what is the distance (ballpark)?

- Tony
Ohio Data LLC
Phone systems, data networks, firewalls and servers in Central Ohio.
Some people aren't used to an environment where excellence is expected.
OP Offline
Distance from 21st floor to the MPOE should be between 350 - 450 feet. I appreciate your comments gentlemen. I am going to forward these comments to my customer. I guess there is no one PRO CAT5 here for the T-1 circuits?

I don't think there is anyone here that is pro CAT5 and above for anything other than ethernet.

-Hal

CALIFORNIA PROPOSITION 65 WARNING: Some comments made by me are known to the State of California to cause irreversible brain damage and serious mental disorders leading to confinement.
Moderator-1A2, Cabling
Moderator-1A2, Cabling
I wouldn't put T-1 on Cat 5 for anything over 50'. And I don't think THAT'S a good idea. Two Cat 2 or Cat 3 shielded cables - one for xmits, and one for receives. Or better yet, T-1 transport cable.

Sam

"Where are we going and why are we in this hand basket?"
21 story pull, that's something I have yet to do. How would you approach it? Surely there would have to be risers all the way up, right? There never is a pull rope left in those things so how would you fish the distance? Would you break it up say to 5 floors, pull out the full length, coil it up and then repeat for the next 5 floors and so on? I would think the friction possibilities would make a single pull very hard to do without stretching the cable.

SST Offline
Not that I'm anti-cat5 but the t-1 travels umpteen miles on cat0 outside plant cable to get to you. Not to mention t1 is 1.5 meg and cat3 is rated for 10 meg. Look at the price of cat3 50 pair to 50 pair cat5. Then ask the customer if that price is worth about zero benefit.

Moderator-1A2, Cabling
Moderator-1A2, Cabling
PMCook -

I've pulled longer pulls than 21 stories.

First, you always pull up, instead of dropping down. Seems counterintuitive, but it's not.

Second, get the route set up and pull a rope through it, installing pulleys and sheaves as required.

Third, if it's a real heavy pull, don't pull it by hand, use a greenlee cable puller. It pulls very slowly and very steadily so there's little, if no stretching.

Fourth, have enough people along the route to keep an eye on the run, make sure it's going smoothly and grease it as required. Walkie Talkies are a must.

Fifth, after the cable is pulled in, support it every couple of floors. There are a variety of methods available for that depending on the cable type, distance and environment.

Sixth, when all is done bring everyone across the street to the saloon and buy the first round or three.

Sam

OP Offline
I have pulled from the 43rd floor (penthouse) in 2029 Avenue of the Stars in Century City, to the MPOE which is two levels into the parking garage for another law firm. I remember that one very well. We actually pulled down from the top, and had many walkie-talkies, secured the cable every couple of floors and did it very, very, slowly. You do not want that cable coming down or slipping out. Pulling up didn't make sense. We didn't need pulleys, we had several people. It was a PowerSum 25-pair and CAT3 50-pair if I recall. The risers in these high-rises are usually not as clean as you would think. Also, many building management companies now employ "riser management" companies (Summit Riser in L.A.) to tend to their closets. The Century City complex had one of the biggest MPOEs I have ever seen.

Moderator-Vertical, Vodavi
Originally posted by bfdatacom:
Also, many building management companies now employ "riser management" companies (Summit Riser in L.A.) to tend to their closets.
That is something I've never heard of before. Quite a specialty!

That's one of the things we do not have to worry about around here.

A friend of my family manages the office building at One Wilshire in LA, which is one of the largest telecom hotels in the world. There are some pictures around the internet, the place is just STUFFED with copper/fiber. I am planning to go to LA after the Vegas trip, maybe I can get a tour smile

Jeff Moss

Moss Communications
Computer Repair-Networking-Cabling
MBSWWYPBX, JGAE
Moderator-Toshiba
Moderator-Toshiba
Originally posted by jeffmoss26:
A friend of my family manages the office building at One Wilshire in LA, which is one of the largest telecom hotels in the world. There are some pictures around the internet, the place is just STUFFED with copper/fiber. I am planning to go to LA after the Vegas trip, maybe I can get a tour smile
Good call Jeff!

Here\'s a "One Wilshire" photo set I found on flickr.

Here are all 74 photos on flickr tagged with "One Wilshire"

- Tony
Ohio Data LLC
Phone systems, data networks, firewalls and servers in Central Ohio.
Some people aren't used to an environment where excellence is expected.
Moderator-1A2, Cabling
Moderator-1A2, Cabling
Nfcphoneman -

When I was doing work for the CLECs back in the dot-com days we ran into them very often here in NYC.

They had usually come in and sold the building owner/manager a bill of goods and then subbed everything out. I guess they provided a measure of control - for a while here everyone was coming in and running their own risers - AT&T, MCI, Sprint, Winstar, MFN, MFS, etc, etc. In some instances it was getting out of hand.

However, most of what they did was to add a level of bureaucracy and confusion to the job.

And line their own pockets.

Sam

Originally posted by Silversam:
Nfcphoneman -
However, most of what they did was to add a level of bureaucracy and confusion to the job.

And line their own pockets.

Sam
That is is what I suspected. Thanks for the info!

-Larry

OP Offline
Jeff, One Wilshire is really an amazing building. Just the backup generators alone are worth touring. That's where a gazillion data circuits terminate, and every carrier is co-located there. Very few human beings in the building. mostly switches.

The idea of tracing a broken pair in the place gives me a migrane.

Or a broken fiber smile

Jeff Moss

Moss Communications
Computer Repair-Networking-Cabling
MBSWWYPBX, JGAE
SST Offline
Okay, I'll comment off-topic also.

I worked in the OneWilshire building for about 9 years. The telcom companies pushed out most of legal companies over time. Originally telecom companies would install conduit from their suite to another company for connectivity. When the building management realized it was getting way out of control with conduits running from suit to suit then getting abandoned, they decided to commit the 4th floor as a meet-me-room. Everyone then had conduit to the mmr for connectivity. As time went on the mmr got out of control too, with abandoned wire from cabinet to cabinet. They started to then designate wire from each cabinet to a central mdf that the building would cross-connect. I haven't been their in a while to see how that worked out.

Looking at those pics brought back some tired memories of working in that building. When the building would test the backup generators we had to come in during the maintenance window (midnight to 6am) to baby sit the switch. They would cut from commercial power to the generators, sometime the relays wouldn't switch you over and your switch would be on batteries only. This is not a good feeling as a switch tech. Batteries only last a few hours. At least once I was there when the generator power didn't come on and the batteries died before we got power back on. If you've ever been in a CO when it dies, it's a really creepy sound to hear that happy hum turn to silence. It’s almost a pathetic moan, the sound of death. Knowing you have to repower the switch and test everything to get it back online and writing post-mortems and all those conference calls afterward.... I don't miss life a CO.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Silversam 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Statistics
Forums84
Topics94,262
Posts638,697
Members49,757
Most Online5,661
May 23rd, 2018
Popular Topics(Views)
211,100 Shoretel
187,712 CTX100 install
186,800 1a2 system
Newest Members
BPopilek, Rich F, LewisR, TDKs79, Buttinset
49,757 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
dexman 18
Toner 11
TDKs79 8
teleco 4
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 140 guests, and 24 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Contact Us | Sponsored by Atcom: One of the best VoIP Phone Canada Suppliers for your business telephone system!| Terms of Service

Sundance Communications is not affiliated with any of the above manufacturers. Sundance Phone System Forums - VOIP & Cloud Phone Help
©Copyright Sundance Communications 1998-2024