web statisticsweb stats Business Phone Systems Tech Talk Forum - VOIP & Cloud Phone Help

Business Phone Systems

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
OP Offline
Hey Guys,

I'm about to bid on a fairly large job for a new customer. Part of it involves providing service for the elevator emergency phones, and that is what I am worried about. There are two issues here:

1. How does the cable get from the hoist room to the elevator car, or should I just provide some sort of termination in the hoist room and leave the rest to the elevator guys?

2. This is in a heavy industrial building that is fairly old. As a result, cable will need to be run along the ceiling and through THICK concrete floors or walls at some points. Obviously I'll be using plenum rated cable for this. There are several other issues through:

- Will I need to use fire block for the holes? If so, please indicate what products you like to use.

- Should I insert conduit into my drilled holes to prevent cable abrasion? (methinks this is a "vibrating building" from heavy forklifts and such)

Any and all comments are appreciated. I'd especially like to know what the NEC says about fire blocking.

Thanks,
Jason

Atcom VoIP Phones
VoIP Demo

Best VoIP Phones Canada

Visit Atcom to get started with your new business VoIP phone system ASAP
Turn up is quick, painless, and can often be done same day.
Let us show you how to do VoIP right, resulting in crystal clear call quality and easy-to-use features that make everyone happy!
Proudly serving Canada from coast to coast.

I wouldn't lose any sleep over this, none of that is your job. It all has to be taken care of by the company that installs the elevators. All you need do is provide a jack in the elevator machine room.

-Hal

CALIFORNIA PROPOSITION 65 WARNING: Some comments made by me are known to the State of California to cause irreversible brain damage and serious mental disorders leading to confinement.
Moderator-Vertical, Vodavi, 1A2, Outside Wire
Moderator-Vertical, Vodavi, 1A2, Outside Wire
I don't know about Canadian codes, but here in the US, all wiring within the elevator machine room must be contained within EMT (conduit). While your responsibility to bring the circuit in usually ends at the elevator control panel, make sure that if conduit is required in your area that it is provided by others or factored into your price.

Ed Vaughn, MBSWWYPBX
Moderator-1A2, Cabling
Moderator-1A2, Cabling
Jason -

Over the years, most of the elevator phones that I did required a termination in the elevator machine room. There were quite a few however that required a termination at the "mid-point box". This was a box that was piped to the middle of the run (For a 12 story elevator, the box was on the 6th floor). Sometimes it was out in the hall outside the elevators. Sometimes it was inside the shaft. Connecting to it meant a trip riding the top of the car with the elevator constructor who controlled the car with a hand held unit. A little scary, and more then a little dangerous. Where the termination ended up was determined by where the elevator "traveller" cable terminated. It was apparently cheaper to have a traveler that termed in the middle (made for a shorter cable).

In some of the situations where I had to terminate in the elevator machine room I was required to land my cables on a pair of screw terminals in their equipment. Because I had to run through the trough with the rest of the elevator (high voltage) wiring, I had to convert from Cat 3 to 16 AWG Thhn.

Plenum rated cable is ONLY required in Plenum (air return) situations. You probably won't need it if there's no drop ceiling. Non-Plenum is much cheaper too.

There are a variety of firestopping materials. 3M makes a whole line as I recall. There are bags, foam, sealants - all sorts of things, depending whether it's a large or small hole.

We always sleeve our cable running through a wall. A short piece of pipe with bushings on both ends works fine. We usually lock it in place with a piece of kindorf and a strap.

I don't have a current copy of the NEC, I 'll see if i can get hold of one. I did a load of work in Verizon COs and they were even stricter then the NEC.

Sam

"Where are we going and why are we in this hand basket?"
OP Offline
Thanks for all the replies guys.

Sam,

I like the looks of the Kindorf product. Had seen it used, but didn't know where to get it till now. THANKS!

Working on the proposal as we speak.

Moderated by  Silversam 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Statistics
Forums84
Topics94,262
Posts638,694
Members49,757
Most Online5,661
May 23rd, 2018
Popular Topics(Views)
211,098 Shoretel
187,704 CTX100 install
186,794 1a2 system
Newest Members
BPopilek, Rich F, LewisR, TDKs79, Buttinset
49,757 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
dexman 18
Toner 14
TDKs79 8
teleco 4
Who's Online Now
2 members (teleco, BobRobert), 122 guests, and 257 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Contact Us | Sponsored by Atcom: One of the best VoIP Phone Canada Suppliers for your business telephone system!| Terms of Service

Sundance Communications is not affiliated with any of the above manufacturers. Sundance Phone System Forums - VOIP & Cloud Phone Help
©Copyright Sundance Communications 1998-2024