web statisticsweb stats

Business Phone Systems

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
#451211 11/15/08 05:36 PM
OP Offline
I was at a customer's office today putting in a server and noticed they recently got an alarm system. Of course I just had to see how they wired the RJ31X. In typical alarm guy fashion, they used the orange pair as the feed from the RJ21X, (which was really just a block with a 25 pair feeding it from the building's phone room, and cables punched down going to the phone system) and the brown pair as the return. They punched it down right on top of the pair of wire coming from the phone system. Gotta love it! I guess it all works but the little things just get me...

Jeff Moss

Moss Communications
Computer Repair-Networking-Cabling
MBSWWYPBX, JGAE
Atcom VoIP Phones
VoIP Demo

Best VoIP Phones Canada

Visit Atcom to get started with your new business VoIP phone system ASAP
Turn up is quick, painless, and can often be done same day.
Let us show you how to do VoIP right, resulting in crystal clear call quality and easy-to-use features that make everyone happy!
Proudly serving Canada from coast to coast.

#451212 11/16/08 03:38 AM
Do what I do. On my invoice, I write the following:

"My license, insurance and reputation depend upon my doing a professional job.

"Please be advised that as of this date, I have inspected the telephone wiring in your (home) (business) and I have found the following violations:

"Alarm wires were installed in a non-standard/illegal/dangerous way. In the event of an alarm, there was the possibility that the alarm message would not have been transmitted correctly, if at all. I have corrected the violation, to protect your property.

"If you have any questions about the wiring I corrected, please have your alarm company representative contact me."

Arthur P. Bloom
"30 years of faithful service...15 years on hold"

#451213 11/16/08 04:10 AM
KLD Offline
Good idea, Arthur, as long as your insurance has completed operation. You have just announced you are now responsible for all the wiring, to include the function of the alarm system.

Jeff, at least you didn't have a "beanie boy" splice screwing up the SNI.

Ken
---------
#451214 11/16/08 07:42 AM
When Suffolk County (NY) decided to license low-voltage electricians, I was forced to get liability insurance (called "artisan's insurance) in order to maintain my license.

One of the questions on the application asked whether I perform alarm work. When I explained to the insurance broker what I do and don't do, she said my insurance definitely did not cover alarm work, in the sense that I would be providing the reception of messages, and dispatching of emergency responders. The installation and maintenance of wiring, however, is allowed by my policy.

I do not hesitate to point out the shortcomings of other "experts" when I work on a customer's premises. I don't care if they think I'm being picky, a pain in the ass, or nasty. I have a personal moral code and that is what drives me to ensure that my customers will be safe and happy. If they die in a fire, and I didn't take every step, legal or otherwise, to prevent it, then shame on me.

Arthur P. Bloom
"30 years of faithful service...15 years on hold"

#451215 11/16/08 11:42 AM
OP Offline
I am definitely going to mention it to them. I also don't really like how their phone system guy did the install. Instead of terminating the station cables to a 66 block, he just put plugs on the end and plugged them right into the KSU. It looks neat and clean but I don't think I would have done it that way...

Jeff Moss

Moss Communications
MBSWWYPBX, JGAE
#451216 11/16/08 12:58 PM
Moderator-Nortel, Computers, General
Moderator-Nortel, Computers, General
Originally posted by jeffmoss26:
I am definitely going to mention it to them. I also don't really like how their phone system guy did the install. Instead of terminating the station cables to a 66 block, he just put plugs on the end and plugged them right into the KSU. It looks neat and clean but I don't think I would have done it that way...
If I were you, Jeff I wouldn't touch the system. If it's neat & working, don't mess with it.

Scientists say that the universe is made up of Protons, Neutron & Electrons. They forgot "Morons".
Dave. (CTUB) Canadian Techs Use Bix!
#451217 11/16/08 01:49 PM
OP Offline
No..I'm not going to touch anything, I just was commenting on the install...it's an old Panasonic, when their phones ring and I sit in the room, I hear the system clicking laugh

Jeff Moss

Moss Communications
MBSWWYPBX, JGAE
#451218 11/30/08 01:37 PM
Artur I could'nt agree more. I regularly advise customers on things I notice. Air conditioning duct work disconected, heat ducts loose, plumbing or roof leaks. Once I noticed the exaust on an overhead gas heater was completely rusted through. It was this summer so I shut off the gas, He did'nt like the news but the three people working there were releived to know that the headaches they were having last heating season was not all in there heads.( Yes Jeff pun intended)

Definition of an I.T. expert: A Person with the telephone number of the Person with the answer.

Moderated by  Silversam 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Statistics
Forums84
Topics94,284
Posts638,769
Members49,765
Most Online5,661
May 23rd, 2018
Popular Topics(Views)
211,455 Shoretel
188,310 CTX100 install
187,085 1a2 system
Newest Members
Nadisale, andreww, gohunt, Darrick, telecopippo
49,764 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
Toner 23
teleco 7
dexman 4
jc2it 4
dans 3
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 58 guests, and 322 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Contact Us | Sponsored by Atcom: One of the best VoIP Phone Canada Suppliers for your business telephone system!| Terms of Service

Sundance Communications is not affiliated with any of the above manufacturers. Sundance Phone System Forums - VOIP & Cloud Phone Help
©Copyright Sundance Communications 1998-2024