web statisticsweb stats

Business Phone Systems

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
#451322 12/05/08 04:34 AM
OP Offline
I have been pulled into a mess at our company. The cabling is not a mess, as it doesn't exist yet. It's the power struggles and the budgets causing the problems.

We are building a new data center for our wide array of servers and backups. Large UPS's, generator, the whole works. They are planning for 40 APC cabinets, but the first phase is for 10.

My dilemma is they (data operations guys) have already designed and planned out the cabling. The plan is to run 48 cat 6 cables from Patch Panels located the "Core" switches to Patch Panels in the bottom of the cabinets. 24 will be "A" cables and 24 will be "B" cables, each located with the corresponding Core switch in different locations. The runs are about 15 ft for the shortest (not including the rise and svc. loop) to about 50 ft for the longest. Once you do the math is it a total of 1,960 cat 6 cables, or probably 80 to 90 thousand feet of cable going into the floor from racks to cabinets.

I have suggested scraping the copper and going fiber, but nearly all the equipment has already been purchased, and of course, it is all RJ-45.

So without redesign suggestions, because I don't think those will fly, what's new and exciting in the cabling world for high density installations? Bundled or single jacketed cables? Smaller RU, higher-density patch panels?

I have a contractor who will purchase and install what we tell them to, but they are just a little short in the design department and don't have the relationship with the cabling companies that they used to.

I appreciate any suggestions.

gambitfw

Oderint dum metuant
Atcom VoIP Phones
VoIP Demo

Best VoIP Phones Canada

Visit Atcom to get started with your new business VoIP phone system ASAP
Turn up is quick, painless, and can often be done same day.
Let us show you how to do VoIP right, resulting in crystal clear call quality and easy-to-use features that make everyone happy!
Proudly serving Canada from coast to coast.

sph Offline
Well, there's a lot that goes into datacenter design - not just cabling, I'm a little surprized the main contractor didn't already have an optimal design to propose.
But for cabling, I would google "copper trunks" or "preterminated copper assemblies". Also, all major vendors offer 1U 48port CAT6 panels.

My dilemma is they (data operations guys) have already designed and planned out the cabling.

It always amazes me how much these guys THINK they know and and how stupid corporate management is to believe them.

-Hal

CALIFORNIA PROPOSITION 65 WARNING: Some comments made by me are known to the State of California to cause irreversible brain damage and serious mental disorders leading to confinement.
Have you selected a vendor yet? There is a good chance you could have a rep come out and give you some advice on your situation. One of my former students is now in charge of a large network, and he is going through the process right now of moving into a new building with a new data center. During the design phase there were decisions made for him that he didn't agree with. He had a lunch meeting with the contractors, his boss, and vendor rep. (I tagged along to offer moral support) He voiced his concerns, I backed him up, and the Panduit rep. offered some alternative solutions. In the end we had a solution that everyone was happy with. The powers-that-be wouldn't listen to him and his concerns, but a vendor rep with full glossy pictures of data center products...that did the trick. Just make sure you meet with the rep ahead of time and you agree with their suggestions before you have the meeting.

OP Offline
Hbiss...me, too.

sph...Thanks. That's getting me better results than "bundles" and "high-density".

I haven't been in the contracting game for about 10 years, and outside of onesie- twosie-runs, haven't really cared what the cabling world was up to. And now, having gone through the Siemon, Leviton, and Tyco sites, I realized I still don't miss it wink .

Oderint dum metuant

Moderated by  Silversam 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Statistics
Forums84
Topics94,284
Posts638,771
Members49,765
Most Online5,661
May 23rd, 2018
Popular Topics(Views)
211,458 Shoretel
188,318 CTX100 install
187,090 1a2 system
Newest Members
Nadisale, andreww, gohunt, Darrick, telecopippo
49,764 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
Toner 23
teleco 5
jc2it 4
dans 3
dexman 2
Who's Online Now
3 members (dexman, Keyset6, justbill), 115 guests, and 359 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Contact Us | Sponsored by Atcom: One of the best VoIP Phone Canada Suppliers for your business telephone system!| Terms of Service

Sundance Communications is not affiliated with any of the above manufacturers. Sundance Phone System Forums - VOIP & Cloud Phone Help
©Copyright Sundance Communications 1998-2024