web statisticsweb stats

Business Phone Systems

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
igadget Offline OP
OP Offline
I needed to call Fluke today, and learned that if you have any old jack rapid bodies (yellow or red part), that the new *-2-H replacement cassettes will work with the old body.

The link is here for swapping the cassette.
https://www.flukenetworks.com/FNet/en-us/findit?Document=9820561

Also the other special I came across. If you end up needing more than 144 Leviton cat 6 QuickConnect 6+ jacks, there is a special part number 61110-GT*. Where * is the colors White(W), Ivory(I), Orange(O), Blue(L), or Black(E). The special part number is for a pack of 6 cards of jacks coming on recyclable packaging (GreenPack). If you order the quantity with the special part number, before 8/31/09, they are including a Jack Rapid to terminate them. I didn't get the pricing on this because I found it after I had spoken to a local supplier.

The cards have 24 jacks instead of the 25 in a contractor bag. The price I received was less than the difference of the missing jack. YMMV.

Rowan

About me:
8 years of network support
7 years IT field service

Always looking for the next project to be done.
Atcom VoIP Phones
VoIP Demo

Best VoIP Phones Canada

Visit Atcom to get started with your new business VoIP phone system ASAP
Turn up is quick, painless, and can often be done same day.
Let us show you how to do VoIP right, resulting in crystal clear call quality and easy-to-use features that make everyone happy!
Proudly serving Canada from coast to coast.

Thanks for the link and heads-up.

Jack

The question is more important than the answer.
Some notes on the JR-LEV-2 and cat6:

~~ The Jackrapid for rear style jacks (51110,61110) is not nearly as easy to use as the 51108 one for cat5e. I wound up manually seating each wire in its slot with a 110 seating tool and using the JR as a 'final seating/cutoff' tool. The tighter twists of cat6, its larger gauge, and the small surface area of the keystone with which to work made it impossible to get the individual wires secure enough by hand alone to use the JR.

I called Leviton's tech support before terminating these jacks. They told me I could bring the cable in parallel through the strain relief cap or through the side (perpendicular)and not use the cap to also hold the cable. Depending on the cable construction and how it's pulled, you may have to use both methods to avoid twisting pairs around each other (no word from Leviton about that).

~~ If you run the cable through the strain relief, you will have to bend the cable nearly 90* to get it to clear the cutting/seating head of the JR and then bend it back to its proper spot.

~~ The cable scoring feature of the new JR isn't very helpful, though the handles are more ergonomically friendly than the older Harris units.

~~ Leviton Quickport cat6 keystones have an unintuitive layout. I'm sure this was done in the name of performance, but it doesn't make terminating them any easier.

The cassettes are easily interchangeable, and the Fluke appears to have come factory lubed as well, but I can't say this tool saves as much time as it should - not as much as the one for Leviton Cat5e keystones does.

One of those little plastic/rubber 'hand and sheetrock savers' (I don't recall the proper name) that holds the keystone would be very useful in a contractor pack. I have one, but it doesn't hold the Leviton jacks.

Jack

RIP Moderator-Nisuko-Tie, General
RIP Moderator-Nisuko-Tie, General
sounds like you need one of these ,Jack

Skip
------------------------------------

Serving SW and West central Fl since 1984
Originally posted by skip555:
sounds like you need one of these ,Jack
Thank you for the link, Skip. I'll be ordering one like it asap. That one is color coded for their cat5e jacks. Still quite handy.

Jack

I stopped using the Leviton Jack rapid after a School District I do work for pointed out these new jacks and new tool. I had to use the maintenance directors tool to terminate and install Cat5e and Cat 6 jack .... you know how these Government, School and New construction jobs are with their written in brands frown I hate change but I have to say I liked them better.

1) The way the jacks are designed they have a higher peak above the 110's and that made it easier to separate and lace the conductors into the jack and after the conductors are in they stayed in.

2) When I have to install a different category jack I did not have to change termination heads, I know that's not a big difference but it was a nice extra.

3) The termination tool is metal and was real sturdy

The tool was priced better than a 110 tool when I asked Sonny where has been getting these (Mentioned that Schools are tight on cash so looking into doing more work in house) he's found a local company on line. Here's a link to a demo video and dose anyone know these guys?

Yeah but you have to use their junk jacks.

All this crapola just points to the need to boycot CAT6. Let the CGs and IT "professionals" handle it and screw up their hands. I'm done with that BS!

Get smart and use fiber!!

-Hal

CALIFORNIA PROPOSITION 65 WARNING: Some comments made by me are known to the State of California to cause irreversible brain damage and serious mental disorders leading to confinement.
Looks like junk to me. I will stick with Cat5e cable and Leviton jacks and the JackRapid.
I did get one of those newer Leviton palm punchdown coasters as a sample, but haven't used it since the JackRapid is so much easier.

Jeff Moss

Moss Communications
Computer Repair-Networking-Cabling
MBSWWYPBX, JGAE
Admin
Admin
I still like the ICC inline jack, much easier to lay pairs in then quick to punch down no flipping the tool around for last two pair. I can do 2-3 jacks in the same time it takes to me to do 1 high density. [Linked Image from showmecables.com]

Hal if you want to save some wear on the hands get one of these.

Ideal electric punch tool
[Linked Image from idealindustries.com]

Merritt

Business Telephones & Equipment + Commercial Audio/Video Products
Commercial Communications . . . Turner, Maine
If it was built after 1980 don't expect it to work right.
All those jacks (Cat3, Cat5e, Cat6) look the same from the pictures. Wait a sec, they are.

The prices aren't bad, but they aren't near cheap enough to justify using an off/unknown brand. I'm guessing they don't have a lot of long-term field installations either.

I looked elsewhere on that site - I didn't know LS was shipping cat6 in those awful reel boxes. I'll make sure to avoid them.

I've done another job with Leviton Cat6 jacks since I originally posted on this thread. They are still a pita.

Jack

Moderated by  Silversam 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Statistics
Forums84
Topics94,305
Posts638,893
Members49,771
Most Online5,661
May 23rd, 2018
Popular Topics(Views)
212,855 Shoretel
189,970 CTX100 install
188,077 1a2 system
Newest Members
Mansour, Dave Simmons, Soulece, Robbks, A2A Networks
49,770 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
Toner 17
teleco 7
dexman 6
dans 5
jsaad 5
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 97 guests, and 30 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Contact Us | Sponsored by Atcom: One of the best VoIP Phone Canada Suppliers for your business telephone system!| Terms of Service

Sundance Communications is not affiliated with any of the above manufacturers. Sundance Phone System Forums - VOIP & Cloud Phone Help
©Copyright Sundance Communications 1998-2024