Business Phone Systems

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
#452068 03/27/09 04:54 AM
OP Offline
Hello,
I need a little help with an install. I'm pulling 2 cat5's and an rg6 through buried pvc conduit from a main house to a guest house.

Some info:
Lenght of run- 195' MDF to IDF
Conduit 1 1/4" pvc
Electrical service in the guest house is a subpanel from the main (no bonding).
Rack at MDF is grounded to service ground.
Secondary protectors for voice installed at MDF

Questions:
Would you recommend grounding at one or both ends with some type of BET.
Im confident the pipe will stay dry but would you use gel filled cable anyway.
Would rg11 be a better choice for a run of that lenght.

Your input is welcome
Thanks,
Alec

-Alec
Atcom VoIP Phones
VoIP Demo

Best VoIP Phones Canada

Visit Atcom to get started with your new business VoIP phone system ASAP
Turn up is quick, painless, and can often be done same day.
Let us show you how to do VoIP right, resulting in crystal clear call quality and easy-to-use features that make everyone happy!
Proudly serving Canada from coast to coast.

Moderator-Vertical, Vodavi, 1A2, Outside Wire
Online Content
Moderator-Vertical, Vodavi, 1A2, Outside Wire
1. I'd definitely recommend using filled cable. It is almost impossible for an underground conduit to stay dry unless it is encased in concrete.

2. RG11 really would be better. I wouldn't attempt that distance with RG6.

3. I'd terminate both ends of the CAT5s with a small protector designed for terminating data circuits. SurgeGate's #CAT6-LAN unit will work well for up to 16 volts or their #CAT5-LAN will do 235 volts. I'd go with the lower voltage unit for maximum protection. Don't forget that in order to use these modules, you have to connect them to their M4KSU power unit for full protection and warranty.

4. That's going to be a tight pull, so make sure you have plenty of pulling lube.

Ed Vaughn, MBSWWYPBX
We routinely pull 200'+ with RG-6, but that is fed by RG-11 or better from taps and not splitters. If this is a complete DIY project and the cable company is not helping, going with RG-11 would be (marginally) better. A high-quality RG-6 is probably just as good at that length.

I hope your conduit has sweeps and not 90* plumbing elbows.

Like Ed wrote, use lots of lube. The conduit is plenty big enough for what you want to run through it, but the drag on your cable will be high. I don't know if you'll be able to vac a string through that conduit - I can tell you that getting a fish tape through it if it has more than 3 sweeps is going to be... interesting. I hope that whomever installed the conduit had the forethought of putting in a pull line for you.

Jack

The question is more important than the answer.
OP Offline
Thanks Ed and Jack,

The conduit has 2 sweep 90's and is going down hill for what that's worth. It already has a temp run of cat5 in it now that's providing internet to the construction office in the guest house. When I pull that out I will pull rope in with it.

Verizon is providing the video via FIOS and the tech measured 15 db at the ONT. I've got 10 runs in the main house plus the feed to the guest house so I'm definitely going to have to use an amp. I used Commscope quad 6 with snap n seals so I should have decent snr. I'm shooting for no less than -6db at the sets, but we'll see.

Thanks again,
Alec

-Alec

Moderated by  Silversam 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Statistics
Forums84
Topics94,291
Posts638,821
Members49,767
Most Online5,661
May 23rd, 2018
Popular Topics(Views)
212,484 Shoretel
189,238 CTX100 install
187,557 1a2 system
Newest Members
Robbks, A2A Networks, James D., Nadisale, andreww
49,767 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
Toner 26
teleco 8
dexman 5
jsaad 5
Who's Online Now
3 members (justbill, Toner, EV607797), 95 guests, and 102 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Contact Us | Sponsored by Atcom: One of the best VoIP Phone Canada Suppliers for your business telephone system!| Terms of Service

Sundance Communications is not affiliated with any of the above manufacturers. Sundance Phone System Forums - VOIP & Cloud Phone Help
©Copyright Sundance Communications 1998-2024