web statisticsweb stats

Business Phone Systems

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
OP Offline
I am being recommended Shielded Cable and Jacks for a project. Why would you need it for Voice and Data? Has anyone ever worked with Shielded Cable and Jacks. And for what applications do you recommend it? The installer I am working with sent me a quote and it had this below Cat 5e connector on it.

https://www.cablegiant.com/Default.aspx?p_id=4&Product_id=93

Atcom VoIP Phones
VoIP Demo

Best VoIP Phones Canada

Visit Atcom to get started with your new business VoIP phone system ASAP
Turn up is quick, painless, and can often be done same day.
Let us show you how to do VoIP right, resulting in crystal clear call quality and easy-to-use features that make everyone happy!
Proudly serving Canada from coast to coast.

Why would you need it for Voice and Data?

You don't and if you charge properly nobody will want to pay for it either. Sounds like some CG or IT "professional" has been reading a book.

-Hal

CALIFORNIA PROPOSITION 65 WARNING: Some comments made by me are known to the State of California to cause irreversible brain damage and serious mental disorders leading to confinement.
What type of facility is this going to be in? I am with Hal..I doubt you are going to need it.

I Swear I did not touch anything bash
Moderator-Vertical, Vodavi
Moderator-Vertical, Vodavi
The ICC products are very good, but I too would question the need for shielded. Of course there may be some extenuating circumstances that your installer may be aware of.

Shielded and screened network cables are popular in Europe, but not so much in the States. Apparently, Europe has a lot of grounding issues that we don't have over here. (So I've been told.)

Moderator-Mobil Phones, Computers
Moderator-Mobil Phones, Computers
You need to question the installer as to why he or she has made that recommendation. There are certain environments where shielded cable is the way to go. In areas where there is a lot of equipment that may produce EMI-RFI such as factory floors with heavy machinery then this may be the way to go. Typically in an office environment there isnt much that may cause interference if the cable is properly routed and the installer maintains recommended distances from interference causing devices. So look at the environment, determine if there are going to be any areas where there might be a high level or EMI-RMI and then if there are you can use shielded cable there. Its also not necessary to use shielded cable throughout the entire installation just because you may use it in an area or two. Without looking at your environment I wouldnt be able to say whether you need it or not but your installer should be able to answer the question. If their answer is shaky and leaves any doubts then it may be time to seek another contractor. For example if the answer is "because its better" then you might want to run!

While I follow along with what has been said here. NFC has a point that needs to be addressed. The installer may know something you don't.

There may be a high amount of foreign frequency or voltage in your application. There are several things that may cause this, the least of which are transformers. Honestly I would not quote shielded unless it was needed. There is more work involved in connection than with non shielded products. So that has to be considered as well. smile

As for the jack you link to, I don't see were its below C5e.

Moderator-1A2, Cabling
Moderator-1A2, Cabling
Europe has a lot of "grounding issues" because of the US. smile

The expectation after WWII was that WWIII would start on the plains of Germany and that it would begin with the explosion of a low yield nuclear device in the atmosphere, designed to disrupt all communications.

To counter this, when we rebuilt the West German communications network we insisted that shielded cable be used exclusively. As other European countries rebuilt their networks they too, adopted the shielded model. It's now the standard in Europe.

When I did the renovation of Time/Life's headquarters in Rockefeller Center they started using all ITT Shielded Cat 6 connectors and panels.

They worked well, but they were a pain in the butt. Allow more time to install jacks & panels and more time to test and troubleshoot. If you're certifying them, make sure your tester supports shielded cable.

Sam

"Where are we going and why are we in this hand basket?"
Only thing I can think of, besides the previous anti-EMP comment, would be extreme RFI situations, but I can't think of any actual situations I have ever seen that necessitated shielded jacks and cables.

Don't get all sweaty and lean on the block...it tingles a bit!
I can think of one place in the US that should have shielded cable, and know of several who do. Radio repair facilities. Probably also anyone who works on radar. The radio's coming in are not transmitting to spec, and may induce EMI on the lines even when in spec if they are not power adjustable. When the place is small 1-2 techs it is usually not an issue, but as they grow larger it crops up. Imagine 10 30 watt RF sources within 3500 sq feet. It doesn't help that the structure isn't shielded and isn't usually new construction which would have better grounding. It all comes back to the client. I would definitely ask because it could also be over-engineering.

One other thing, the really large companies have better equipment for testing or shielded rooms and may not need it. They also tend to have more cable in metal conduit which helps quite a bit.

About me:
8 years of network support
7 years IT field service

Always looking for the next project to be done.
I am working on a bid where the customer is talking to Siemon and they are telling the that shielded is a way to go.

Not this is a large data center, that is secured. there are a lot of PCs and work stations but no other equipment that would do emi. They claim that it secures transmission and helps/revents cross talk on cat 6?! I have about 110 runs to one closet and 75 to another. Does that make sense?

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Silversam 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Statistics
Forums84
Topics94,294
Posts638,834
Members49,769
Most Online5,661
May 23rd, 2018
Popular Topics(Views)
212,625 Shoretel
189,516 CTX100 install
187,774 1a2 system
Newest Members
Soulece, Robbks, A2A Networks, James D., Nadisale
49,768 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
Toner 24
teleco 9
dans 5
dexman 4
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 168 guests, and 337 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Contact Us | Sponsored by Atcom: One of the best VoIP Phone Canada Suppliers for your business telephone system!| Terms of Service

Sundance Communications is not affiliated with any of the above manufacturers. Sundance Phone System Forums - VOIP & Cloud Phone Help
©Copyright Sundance Communications 1998-2024