Business Phone Systems

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
alchron Offline OP
OP Offline
I am about to start a project where I am wanting to add new phones to an existing 66 block that has been using the older phone system from Meridian. The phones are AT&T 1014 phones, and they require more adept wiring like Cat5.

My question is whether its a good idea to hook the new phones into the existing block that way if something happens to the new phones, the older phones can be subbed in quickly so that they can still receive calls. The electrician that works for the company has told me that I can either stack the lines onto the existing ones (line 1-4 paired with each other) or I can use Wirenuts to combine them and use another wire coming from them and hook that into the 66 block. I have never worked on a phone system before, I mainly work on computers and do minor networking configurations.

Any help is appreciated, and I did do a search on the forums but I didn't find a specific answer to my problem. Thanks in advance.

Atcom VoIP Phones
VoIP Demo

Best VoIP Phones Canada

Visit Atcom to get started with your new business VoIP phone system ASAP
Turn up is quick, painless, and can often be done same day.
Let us show you how to do VoIP right, resulting in crystal clear call quality and easy-to-use features that make everyone happy!
Proudly serving Canada from coast to coast.

Online Content
Electrician and wirenuts...there's your first problem.
Honestly, hire a phone tech and have it done right.

Jeff Moss

Moss Communications
Computer Repair-Networking-Cabling
MBSWWYPBX, JGAE
alchron Offline OP
OP Offline
Well, this project got dropped on me, and they know very well that I don't know what I am doing with this. But still, not looking at it as a long-term solution for them, would it work?

RIP Moderator-Nisuko-Tie, General
they know very well that I don't know what I am doing with this.
you are to be commended for recognizing your limitations and seeking guidance

to answer your question , yes it would be best to terminate the new cable to the existing 66 block if there is room or establish a new block with the new cable .

Im not familiar with the ATT 1014 what is it about it that requires cat5 cable ?

how important is reliable phone service to the business ?

I agree with Jeff a few dollars spent for someone knowledge to set this up properly beats downtime and troubleshooting down the road

BTW welcome

Skip
------------------------------------

Serving SW and West central Fl since 1984
Moderator-1A2, Cabling
Moderator-1A2, Cabling
I also am unfamiliar with ATT 1014 phones. Having said that, if it requires (and I have my doubts) Cat5 cable, and the advice you're getting is specifying wirenuts....

I would suggest going to the nearest tavern and drinking heavily.

You're going to need it.

Give us some more information and maybe we can help you.

But you really need to seek out a professional.

Sam

"Where are we going and why are we in this hand basket?"
alchron Offline OP
OP Offline
Originally posted by Silversam:
I also am unfamiliar with ATT 1014 phones. Having said that, if it requires (and I have my doubts) Cat5 cable, and the advice you're getting is specifying wirenuts....

I would suggest going to the nearest tavern and drinking heavily.

You're going to need it.

Give us some more information and maybe we can help you.

But you really need to seek out a professional.

Sam
*gets back from the tavern* all that drinking didn't help me much, but I will be asking around to see if there is a phone technician that can do the job.

RIP Admin
RIP Admin
What was asked is can you stack them on top off each other on the 66 block, that answer to that is a big no, the lugs on the 66 block are meant for one termination only if you punch another one on top of it it will not have a good contact. As Skip said if there is room go ahead if not add another block.

Russ runs a local service and private tech center.

[Linked Image from sundance-communications.com][/url]
alchron Offline OP
OP Offline
Originally posted by skip555:
they know very well that I don't know what I am doing with this.
you are to be commended for recognizing your limitations and seeking guidance

to answer your question , yes it would be best to terminate the new cable to the existing 66 block if there is room or establish a new block with the new cable .

Im not familiar with the ATT 1014 what is it about it that requires cat5 cable ?

how important is reliable phone service to the business ?

I agree with Jeff a few dollars spent for someone knowledge to set this up properly beats downtime and troubleshooting down the road

BTW welcome
Well, the only thing that I can see that the phone would require cat5 cabling would be that each phone acts independently from each other (the meridian system requires that the phones act through a distribution box), but the existing cabling won't support these phones (I tried ,no success). Course, I am looking around for someone local to do the job, been making some calls to see what can be done.

I think your confusing cable pairs with cable rating, I'm guessing these are four line no KSU phones and you need four pair to make them work CAT 3 is all that's needed

we have used CAT3 four pair for 10-15 years on new installs so chances are the existing cable will work if the jacks are rewired and the dialtone run to all four pairs

you can look for a installer here

Skip

another thought would be to have someone look at the existing Meridian system to see if it will do whatever it is you want to do rather than replacing it

Skip

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  Silversam 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Statistics
Forums84
Topics94,291
Posts638,811
Members49,767
Most Online5,661
May 23rd, 2018
Popular Topics(Views)
212,378 Shoretel
189,081 CTX100 install
187,411 1a2 system
Newest Members
Robbks, A2A Networks, James D., Nadisale, andreww
49,767 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
Toner 26
teleco 7
dexman 5
jsaad 4
dans 3
Who's Online Now
3 members (paulw, jeffmoss26, Toner), 135 guests, and 427 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Contact Us | Sponsored by Atcom: One of the best VoIP Phone Canada Suppliers for your business telephone system!| Terms of Service

Sundance Communications is not affiliated with any of the above manufacturers. Sundance Phone System Forums - VOIP & Cloud Phone Help
©Copyright Sundance Communications 1998-2024