web statisticsweb stats Business Phone Systems Tech Talk Forum - VOIP & Cloud Phone Help

Business Phone Systems

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
hawk82 Offline OP
OP Offline
I've got a customer who has an office building next to his business. His previous IT/CG person got him 300' pre-terminated CAT5e indoor patch cable to run between the building. Obviously not the best situation. I informed the customer that the jacket on the cable will break down from UV and weather and he'll have no network connectivity until the wire is replaced. He has business cable internet installed at his office, with a network connection to his business that has point of sale computers and security system.

So I'd like to install a more permanent aerial, outdoor grade, UV/weather resistant CAT5e cable. I say aerial because there is a paved driveway between the two buildings and it would be expensive to dig up to put in conduit. Customer does not want to go the conduit route. Plus winter is almost here and most of the asphalt plants have shut down or are shutting down.

The distance between the two buildings is pretty short, 50 to 70ft. Wire goes down the side of the business and into the basement. On the office side, it goes into a garage, and then into his office. See picture below. Red dots are where the existing wire is run from building to building, green dots are the entrance into the building.

Should I put up a guide wire, and then attach the CAT5e to it, or should I get CAT5e with an embedded steel leader (if such a thing exists) to hang the cable between the two buildings? Also a source for this cable would be great.

I also discussed with the customer about installing fiber optic cable between the two buildings. Obvious advantage is electrical isolation, no ground potential issues, lightning protection, etc. Unfortunately I have limited experience with fiber (I terminated some SC multimode in college several years ago). Unless terminating fiber has gotten cheaper or easier to do, I know someone who has terminated a bit of fiber, so I could hire him to do the termination.

Thanks for the advice.

[Linked Image from lh3.ggpht.com]

Atcom VoIP Phones
VoIP Demo

Best VoIP Phones Canada

Visit Atcom to get started with your new business VoIP phone system ASAP
Turn up is quick, painless, and can often be done same day.
Let us show you how to do VoIP right, resulting in crystal clear call quality and easy-to-use features that make everyone happy!
Proudly serving Canada from coast to coast.

Moderator-1A2, Cabling
Moderator-1A2, Cabling
If you're setting up data centers/telecom closets inb both buildings remember to run a ground too, between the two closets.

Fiber would be better of course but if you run a messenger wire you could always attach a fiber on later. Use the correct hardware (Strand vises, three bolt clamps, etc) and you won't have any trouble.

Don't forget lightning protection.

Sam

"Where are we going and why are we in this hand basket?"
I'd go with the fiber if possible. They sell pre-terminated fiber, 6 or 8 strand should do well, I always pull extra when possible. Get it long and leave a nice loop on both sides.

JimmyV

"Well informed people know it is impossible to transmit the voice over wires. Even if it were, it would be of no practical value" Boston Post, 1865
Online Content
What's your clearance over that alley? Should have at least 18 feet, if not it'll get torn down and would probably be a code violation.

Retired phone dude
Here is my unofficial, less than professional advice. I'm sure my esteemed colleagues will argue against it, but it will work temporarily until you can do it correctly in the Spring.

If you are only putting up one Cat5,which weighs hardly anything, then I would do it this way:

Get some 1/16th" stainless cable (some of it comes with a vinyl jacket, generally green,

wire

for fence guy wires. get some cable "clips" (these are the horseshoe shaped clamps used to fasten steel cable.)

clip

Put a decent sized screw-hook at each end, and put a loop of the steel messenger, with the U/V resistant cat5 tie-wrapped to it, around the hooks, and tighten the clips.

Bring a ground wire into each building and attach it to the messenger, and to the existing building power ground buss, not a separate ground rod, which would be a code violation.

Use a BET (Building Entrance Terminal...in other words a primary lightning protector) designed for Cat5 service, at each end, also tied to the building's power ground.

Cat5e protector

I have installed many outdoor surveillance cameras that required low voltage and a Cat5e cable, using this method.

This is not, of course, the absolute correct way to do this in a professional sense, but since it's a one-time installation, and it only goes 75 feet, with a light-weight cable, it should serve you until you can bury a conduit. Using a compressed-air powered missile, instead of cutting the pavement, is the preferred way.

Arthur P. Bloom
"30 years of faithful service...15 years on hold"

hawk82 Offline OP
OP Offline
Originally posted by jimmyv:
I'd go with the fiber if possible. They sell pre-terminated fiber, 6 or 8 strand should do well, I always pull extra when possible. Get it long and leave a nice loop on both sides.
I found one vendor who sells outdoor multimode fiber, 6 strand, SC terminated, messenger wire (doesn't say what size), w/ pull loop. I don't need 6 strand, and that's a big hole I'd have to drill to being in the wire.

Originally posted by justbill:
What's your clearance over that alley? Should have at least 18 feet, if not it'll get torn down and would probably be a code violation.
A tractor trailer could easily fit under the wire without it touching. So I would say it is at least 15' off the ground.

The Verizon standard, inherited from NY Tel Co, is 14 feet at the lowest point.

Arthur P. Bloom
"30 years of faithful service...15 years on hold"

Moderator-Comdial
Moderator-Comdial
Why don't you do a wireless bridge!

I vote for pre-terminated fiber also. Not only do you avoid the BET protectors at each end you also avoid the ground wire and any ground loops. You do it once and it's done and it's good for whatever they throw at it in the future.

One thing that I haven't addressed in awhile regarding outdoor data wiring is the effect of temperature on the cable specs and transmission speed. CAT* cable is made to be used and certify within a temperature range, roughly that encountered within a conditioned structure. I can't see how the extremes of temperature as you would expect outdoors in Maine would not have a negative impact on transmission speed. For that reason I just do not like running CAT5 cable exposed outdoors regardless of it being flooded and claimed to be for outdoor use.

Underground is considerably better in this respect if you bury it to a depth where the temperatures extremes are mitigated, but for the amount of money spent fiber is a much better alternative as it has none of these problems.

-Hal

CALIFORNIA PROPOSITION 65 WARNING: Some comments made by me are known to the State of California to cause irreversible brain damage and serious mental disorders leading to confinement.
I'd recommend fiber for all the reasons already stated. Also, aren't there more powerful "line-of-site" wireless systems that would work well in this situation? Im pretty sure one of my larger customers has such a system in between a couple of buildings that is even supporting a couple of IP phones. I can give him a call if you would like.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Silversam 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Statistics
Forums84
Topics94,262
Posts638,697
Members49,757
Most Online5,661
May 23rd, 2018
Popular Topics(Views)
211,100 Shoretel
187,712 CTX100 install
186,800 1a2 system
Newest Members
BPopilek, Rich F, LewisR, TDKs79, Buttinset
49,757 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
dexman 18
Toner 11
TDKs79 8
teleco 4
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 140 guests, and 24 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Contact Us | Sponsored by Atcom: One of the best VoIP Phone Canada Suppliers for your business telephone system!| Terms of Service

Sundance Communications is not affiliated with any of the above manufacturers. Sundance Phone System Forums - VOIP & Cloud Phone Help
©Copyright Sundance Communications 1998-2024