Rate Thread
Page 5 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
Moderator-Toshiba
Moderator-Toshiba
Ha! Sorry Hal!

That's what I get for not reading the whole thread ;p

- Tony
Ohio Data LLC
Phone systems, data networks, firewalls and servers in Central Ohio.
Some people aren't used to an environment where excellence is expected.
Atcom VoIP Phones
VoIP Demo

Best VoIP Phones Canada

Visit Atcom to get started with your new business VoIP phone system ASAP
Turn up is quick, painless, and can often be done same day.
Let us show you how to do VoIP right, resulting in crystal clear call quality and easy-to-use features that make everyone happy!
Proudly serving Canada from coast to coast.

RIP Moderator-Nisuko-Tie, General
RIP Moderator-Nisuko-Tie, General
Arthurs , correct at some point the owner is going to realize the lunacy of the arrangement and turn to a Pro to straighten the mess out and install some real phones

Skip
------------------------------------

Serving SW and West central Fl since 1984
That's what I get for not reading the whole thread ;p

Don't feel bad, I'm just as guilty. I didn't even remember that I made that post until I went back and looked.

-Hal

CALIFORNIA PROPOSITION 65 WARNING: Some comments made by me are known to the State of California to cause irreversible brain damage and serious mental disorders leading to confinement.
OP Offline
I said right off I highly suggested that the owner go with a system rather than this cluster**** of bigbox phones but owner seemed to know best. It's actually going to cost him more by the time he's charged for additional labor...but remember, owner knows best. The $1000 or so that he's "saving" by not going to a system is a drop in the hat compared to other equipment (optometrist) he's buying and I still don't understand it.

I posted here hoping to get help and received some great information from some very helpful people. I guess we were all new at one time or another and had to be told something a couple different ways...apparently new guys are now exempt from this.

If a mod wants to lock this thread, that's fine to me. It's a great thread to point at for "what not to do"

Jeff
Lead Field Engineer, MSCNS
Moderator-Allworx, Nisuko-Tie, Vodavi
Moderator-Allworx, Nisuko-Tie, Vodavi
I've just been watching this thread---didn't want to really add anything---it was just too, too painful to even read much less write anything. At least, Jeff, you're aware of the overall problems that this "solution" will pose.

In the early ninety's, we took over a real estate customer with the same set-up--but with Radio Shack phones. He insisted on no system, wanted to keep all of his DuoPhone phones but instead of the rat's nest he had at the MDF, he wanted all new cable and jacks. We resisted, and resisted, but finally gave in....and after all new cable, 66 blocks and jacks, he still had static on some phones. At least we were able to troubleshoot it (although it took much more time with this than a system) and find out that he had maybe 4 or 5 phones that were bad. Guess who's fault THAT was in his mind??? After sending him to RS to get some new phones, we kept in touch with him for about 6 months, then luckily, he never called back. He's been out of business for about 5 years now. I wonder why???
[Linked Image from img116.exs.cx]

There is much good information in this thread to give to customers who are considering non-ksu systems. Am I missing something? Why not use a XBlue X16 system? Not a full blown system, but maybe an ecomonical alternative as long as the customer knows what features he is missing.

Bob

With all the variables involved, I am amazed when any voice and data technology works like it is supposed to.
I don't think it's a matter of cost but a matter of stupidity and ignorance on the part of the these customers. They have it in their mind that they don't want a "system" for whatever twisted reason. The XBlue is a system, and by virtue of that is not acceptable no matter how you try to explain to him that it is a less expensive and more practical alternative.

That's the problem today. Back before 1984 if you needed phones you called your Bell company and they would install a 1A2. You had no choice and very few decisions to make but you were assured of consistent quality and operation. After '84 it became a do-it-yourself free for all with so much junk as well as good equipment available and everybody a telecom expert. Every day I wonder how communications even works any more and the answer is that every day it is getting worse and worse because of fools and those who think they are smart enough to re-invent the wheel.

I've lived long enough to have seen that as long a business is restricted to qualified people you are going to have a quality product. When you grant the general public access to that information, equipment and products it's going to turn to S***. Prime offenders (not just related to telecom) are the internet, big box home centers, digital photography- I could go on.

-Hal

CALIFORNIA PROPOSITION 65 WARNING: Some comments made by me are known to the State of California to cause irreversible brain damage and serious mental disorders leading to confinement.
Jeff.

Rather than monkeying with custom cables on the phone end, this may be a solution. I will say it is a solution waiting for a problem, and yes there are many more ways to do this correctly.

At least with this you don't have to cable them up.

Leviton 47609-4x4
[img]https://www.leviton.com/OA_HTML/ibcGetAttachment.jsp?cItemId=PNuDL1C7eTn3YdDL9i8OyA[/img]

About me:
8 years of network support
7 years IT field service

Always looking for the next project to be done.
I agree wholeheartedly with igadget. With these Breakout Modules, you can run your Cat 5e to each of those drops, but terminate at the TC (Telephone Closet) on a standard Cat 5e Patch Panel (which you're already skilled at).

Then simply patch in the 16 ports to the ports on the 47609's (you'll need 4 of them).

At the Workstation end, install your dual-6pos/4pin jacks for those woeful 4-line POTS sets, so at least the TC end is set up for the inevitable upgrade. Then, you only have to rewire the Workstation end and plug in a VoIP System at the TC.

That is, when the infamous OWNER comes to his senses...

Nihil est--in vita priore ego imperator Romanus fui.
That's nothing--in a previous life I was a Roman Emperor!
Page 5 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  Silversam 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Statistics
Forums84
Topics94,317
Posts638,932
Members49,775
Most Online5,661
May 23rd, 2018
Popular Topics(Views)
213,140 Shoretel
190,349 CTX100 install
188,738 1a2 system
Newest Members
Kahm310, PeterG, lyte, 4thright, dcl
49,775 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
Toner 17
lyte 4
dans 4
Yoda 3
Who's Online Now
2 members (Touch Tone Tommy, Toner), 155 guests, and 47 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Contact Us | Sponsored by Atcom: One of the best VoIP Phone Canada Suppliers for your business telephone system!| Terms of Service

Sundance Communications is not affiliated with any of the above manufacturers. Sundance Phone System Forums - VOIP & Cloud Phone Help
©Copyright Sundance Communications 1998-2024