web statisticsweb stats Business Phone Systems Tech Talk Forum - VOIP & Cloud Phone Help

Business Phone Systems

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
#453345 11/27/09 12:36 PM
7echo Offline OP
OP Offline
Is there a strain relief device for cat6 similar to kellems grip? Or something you all use for strain relief when hanging cat cable? We are going to hang cat 6 cable from above and the CG is concerned about the cable just hanging from the 8p8c.

Comments are appreciated!

Atcom VoIP Phones
VoIP Demo

Best VoIP Phones Canada

Visit Atcom to get started with your new business VoIP phone system ASAP
Turn up is quick, painless, and can often be done same day.
Let us show you how to do VoIP right, resulting in crystal clear call quality and easy-to-use features that make everyone happy!
Proudly serving Canada from coast to coast.

#453346 11/27/09 01:19 PM
Can you describe the scenario a bit better? Seems a little odd to me.

#453347 11/27/09 01:40 PM
Have used similar to this, but plenum rated for in-ceiling use....

https://cableorganizer.com/arlington-industries/loop-cable-hanger.html

https://www.discount-low-voltage.com/tlocaha.html

Just connect to a standard ceiling hanger.

D

#453348 11/27/09 02:19 PM
The proper way would be not hanging it from the jack, use a pole to get down from the ceiling. I certainly wouldn't admit to wiring a place with jacks in the ceiling and patch cords hanging down and I'm just a dumb sparkie...

Use some of these, maybe get the dual chase version and have some power available at the same locations too.
https://www.hubbell-wiring.com/htm/CommServicePoles.htm

#453349 11/27/09 03:24 PM
As was said you don't let it hang. It must be supported by some means verically and no, there is no such thing as a grip for it. Attach it to a wall, a pole or whatever works so it doesn't hang by the plug.

-Hal

CALIFORNIA PROPOSITION 65 WARNING: Some comments made by me are known to the State of California to cause irreversible brain damage and serious mental disorders leading to confinement.
#453350 11/27/09 04:17 PM
Moderator-1A2, Cabling
Moderator-1A2, Cabling
Letting it hang will distort the cable and after a while it will no longer pass Cat 6. A while after that it'll probably go open.

Be a professional. Do a professional job. Do not let a patch cord hang from the ceiling. How sleazy is that!

Sam

"Where are we going and why are we in this hand basket?"
#453351 11/27/09 04:56 PM
I've seen a kind of saddle they use in the big boxes to hold up SJO cable for power that runs vertically to the middle of the store for displays and stuff. Not sure who makes them...

Jeff Moss

Moss Communications
Computer Repair-Networking-Cabling
MBSWWYPBX, JGAE
#453352 11/27/09 07:07 PM
As far as hangers go, I generally prefer these and their smaller brother .

Are these ceilings exposed or enclosed? Are we talking about one cable here and there for APs or a whole bundle?

Like Clinton mentioned, I could also use a better description.

Jack

The question is more important than the answer.
#453353 11/28/09 08:44 AM
7echo Offline OP
OP Offline
Thanks for the comments so far.
We don't want it to just hang from the plug, that will be a problem like Sam and Hal mentioned.
But, we don't want to run a conduit or pole vertical. We have had that in some areas and it is a problem when we add or move machines around. We also had track mounted on the floor and that is a problem as well.
We will run conduit to boxes mounted on the ceiling in several locations. When we move machines around we will be able to just move the plug to another jack. Maybe we can come out of the box, route the cable through something like Fletcher posted, then down? I thought there might be something like the kellem for cat cable. These are network connections for wide format printers, FDM rapid prototypers, laser cutters, stuff like that.
At any rate, I want to avoid a stick farm of vertical conduits, but don't want a bunch of janky looking cat spaghetti either. At some point I will have to compromise.

We have over head power for a lot of our conventional machines coming from above and the electrical wire is supported by kellems. Of course, that is big wire, usually 3 phase, so it hangs straight and looks industrial. The aesthetic police here like the industrial look for our building.

Again, thanks for commenting.

#453354 11/28/09 09:34 AM
I know exactly what you are talking about. That's the kind of situation you have with open areas and machines like in machine shops etc. Power is on the ceiling with SOT or SJ cord drops down to the machines with, like you say, Kellems grips at the ceiling to support the cable.

I think because data drops are new to this type of installation nothing has been invented for this yet- and that's mostly because CGs usually have little if any mechanical aptitude so they wouldn't even understand the problem.

So this is something that is ripe for a solution. I think what I would do is experiment with making a bale- similar the the loop on the Kellams, probably out of something like #8 dropped ceiling support wire. Then you have to figure a way to attach it to the CAT cable without deforming it, which I think ty-raps will do.

I know that we used to have in the CATV industry spiral grips for unmessengered RG-59 cable to grab the ends at the pole and at the house. We stopped using them because they distorted the cable. frown

-Hal

CALIFORNIA PROPOSITION 65 WARNING: Some comments made by me are known to the State of California to cause irreversible brain damage and serious mental disorders leading to confinement.
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  Silversam 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Statistics
Forums84
Topics94,262
Posts638,697
Members49,757
Most Online5,661
May 23rd, 2018
Popular Topics(Views)
211,100 Shoretel
187,712 CTX100 install
186,800 1a2 system
Newest Members
BPopilek, Rich F, LewisR, TDKs79, Buttinset
49,757 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
dexman 18
Toner 11
TDKs79 8
teleco 4
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 140 guests, and 24 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Contact Us | Sponsored by Atcom: One of the best VoIP Phone Canada Suppliers for your business telephone system!| Terms of Service

Sundance Communications is not affiliated with any of the above manufacturers. Sundance Phone System Forums - VOIP & Cloud Phone Help
©Copyright Sundance Communications 1998-2024