web statisticsweb stats

Business Phone Systems

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
#453447 01/06/10 09:06 AM
I've been watching this thread but haven't chimed in because this whole thing sounds like an exercise in futility.

Ed, I'll assume you had some numbers to go on from the cable tech. Even if you do, signal levels change so I'll repeat my mantra- unless you have test equipment, know how to use it and know how cable works anything you do is a shot in the dark.

That said, they do make switchable attenuators, amps with gain controls and amps with AGC that could be useful here. But unless you know what you are doing and can see what you need to do, none of that is going to do you any good and may even knock out service to the neighborhood.

-Hal

CALIFORNIA PROPOSITION 65 WARNING: Some comments made by me are known to the State of California to cause irreversible brain damage and serious mental disorders leading to confinement.
Atcom VoIP Phones
VoIP Demo

Best VoIP Phones Canada

Visit Atcom to get started with your new business VoIP phone system ASAP
Turn up is quick, painless, and can often be done same day.
Let us show you how to do VoIP right, resulting in crystal clear call quality and easy-to-use features that make everyone happy!
Proudly serving Canada from coast to coast.

#453448 01/06/10 12:32 PM
Moderator-Vertical, Vodavi, 1A2, Outside Wire
OP Offline
Moderator-Vertical, Vodavi, 1A2, Outside Wire
Hal, I thought you'd never get here. Where have you been?

But seriously, I agree that there are plenty of fixes that I, the consumer can provide at my own expense, but why should I? The varying signal levels are due to shortcomings in Comcast's plant. I know this can be resolved and I know what needs to be done, but doing so would be comparable to my providing a buck/boost transformer to compensate for the power company's voltage being too low.

Their "technicians" have rattled off plenty of "over and under" signal levels to me, but each time they arrive, I hear something different. Sure, signals vary but I honestly believe that they just don't know how to read their equipment.

So on that note, I'll reiterate: I'm not a typical Comcast customer, so I can fix this issue. The continuing gripe that I have here is what if I didn't know what to to? I hate to think of the thousands of customers out there who are just taking their word for it and living with the poor signal quality.

Ed Vaughn, MBSWWYPBX
#453449 01/06/10 01:00 PM
Moderator-Comdial, ESI, Voicemail, Cisco
Moderator-Comdial, ESI, Voicemail, Cisco
Originally posted by hbiss:
But unless you know what you are doing and can see what you need to do, none of that is going to do you any good and may even knock out service to the neighborhood.

-Hal
What's ironic about that is that it would probably be enough to get their attention and get some real techs working on the problem, but then they would probably charge Ed for causing the problem.

Justin

#453450 01/06/10 03:25 PM
But seriously, I agree that there are plenty of fixes that I, the consumer can provide at my own expense, but why should I?

Oh, I absolutely agree. Those fixes would really just be a band-aid anyway. The fix needs to come from them in their OSp.

What's ironic about that is that it would probably be enough to get their attention and get some real techs working on the problem, but then they would probably charge Ed for causing the problem.

Nahh, they'll just disco Ed and send another tech over like all the other times to put everything back the way it was.

-Hal

CALIFORNIA PROPOSITION 65 WARNING: Some comments made by me are known to the State of California to cause irreversible brain damage and serious mental disorders leading to confinement.
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  Silversam 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Statistics
Forums84
Topics94,296
Posts638,845
Members49,769
Most Online5,661
May 23rd, 2018
Popular Topics(Views)
212,649 Shoretel
189,534 CTX100 install
187,784 1a2 system
Newest Members
Soulece, Robbks, A2A Networks, James D., Nadisale
49,768 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
Toner 25
teleco 9
dans 5
dexman 4
Who's Online Now
5 members (Avanti Telecom, Xdm, Yoda, Soulece, Toner), 167 guests, and 316 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Contact Us | Sponsored by Atcom: One of the best VoIP Phone Canada Suppliers for your business telephone system!| Terms of Service

Sundance Communications is not affiliated with any of the above manufacturers. Sundance Phone System Forums - VOIP & Cloud Phone Help
©Copyright Sundance Communications 1998-2024